Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 05:37 PM

28 posts, read 36,902 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

LA, and New Orleans has been on my list to visit for a long long time. Living in Ohio now, I get enough cold and snow for my liking(almost too much). Thankfully my family live in Tampa, FL.

Anywho, in efforts to escape Ohio and see some more tropical places, what would y'all suggest as the best time to visit the area? I was thinking maybe late summer or early fall 2017.

Thanks for all of your help.

Much Love,

Alex R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 06:14 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,945 times
I think it depends on what kind of vacation you want.

If you want to visit during a quieter time, and explore the city without the hassle of partying tourists everywhere (although there are some all times of the year), I would come in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, or during the summer. Just keep in mind it's really hot and humid during the summer.

If you want the exciting party atmosphere, come during Mardi Gras or Jazz fest. French Quarter Festival is also a great time to visit.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:35 PM

28 posts, read 36,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I think it depends on what kind of vacation you want.

If you want to visit during a quieter time, and explore the city without the hassle of partying tourists everywhere (although there are some all times of the year), I would come in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, or during the summer. Just keep in mind it's really hot and humid during the summer.

If you want the exciting party atmosphere, come during Mardi Gras or Jazz fest. French Quarter Festival is also a great time to visit.
Thanks for the info. I suppose I enjoy both aspects of a vacation. So, maybe a little bit of both. I enjoy hanging with tourists and playing out that scene but I also really enjoy hanging with locals, finding local food, local entertainment, etc.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
There are always tourists here so no real need to come during a busy time unless you just want to.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:01 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,682,055 times
My favorite time there is in October when the weather is gorgeous. There are still a lot of activities going on, so there's still that option.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:31 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
My favorite time there is in October when the weather is gorgeous. There are still a lot of activities going on, so there's still that option.
That is a nice time of year down here. It is just now really starting to heat up for the summer, and I'm already looking forward to October. I'm not sure if the summers are getting hotter, or if I'm just getting older, and don't deal with the heat as well. I'll take the heat over those Northern winters any day though.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I'll take the heat over those Northern winters any day though.
Me, too!!! I can handle a little bit of humidity, so I think I could adapt to "lots of it" before I could long, freezing cold winters. There was a time when I thought I'd love to live in NYC for 1 or 2 years but now I know better.

Last Oct we went to New Orleans for 2-1/2 weeks and we did a lot. Went to the Crescent City Blues Fest and the one in Gretna. Lots of night-clubbing. Had a ball.

Next time we plan a long visit like that, I think we'll do side-trips to other parts of the state.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:53 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
My favorite time there is in October when the weather is gorgeous.
I second October as being my favorite month there. I would probably avoid Halloween weekend, though. A little too crowded in the French Quarter for my tastes.

Mid Oct through Christmas is when the weather's the best.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I second October as being my favorite month there. I would probably avoid Halloween weekend, though. A little too crowded in the French Quarter for my tastes.

Mid Oct through Christmas is when the weather's the best.

Largely because of Voodoo Fest, right?

Old 06-03-2017, 08:34 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
I would visit in November. That's when the weather is starting to get horrible in Ohio but it's still nice in New Orleans (70's average).

October is nice but it's also nice in Ohio so nothing is gained. If you come around Christmas/New Year's there are crowds for NYE and also for the Sugar Bowl. So November before Thanksgiving is the best time.

Do not come during Thanksgiving, that is the Bayou Classic, too crowded then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: