Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:46 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It was ruled unconstitutional, which means illegal.
Doesn't make it wrong, and certainly doesn't mean it doesn't work. It does, and very well.

Quote:
Population density has much to do with it. I don't know of any poor rural area with high crime nor a poor inner city neighborhood with low crime.
I would agree here. I don't see what you are arguing about though, we were talking about poverty earlier, in that it's one factor that influences crime.

Quote:
Something like one in four black children have a parent in prison, and there majority of prisoners are non violent drug offenders. So yes. Watch the documentary 13th on Netflix, buddy.
Yeeeeah, might want to look into cause and effect. The jail doesn't cause the problem, it doesn't work backwards.

No sense responding any further. You are a liberal, we won't ever agree. I mean, I can't possibly disagree more with your logic. Just best to move on. Our worldviews are totally different.

Given your view though, not sure why you are wanting to leave New Orleans. It's the result of the type governing you claim to want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 09:07 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,799 times
Quote:

You don't fight crime with police. You fight the root of crime which is poverty and lack of opportunity.

This is why crime will never go down. Have to keep private prisons full.
This. I can't rep enough.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Doesn't make it wrong, and certainly doesn't mean it doesn't work. It does, and very well.
Being unconstitutional makes it wrong at this time and unless you want to subject yourself to warrantless search and seizure, I'd hope it stays that way.

Quote:
I would agree here. I don't see what you are arguing about though, we were talking about poverty earlier, in that it's one factor that influences crime.
You said poverty and education were buzzwords. That's factually false.

Quote:
Yeeeeah, might want to look into cause and effect. The jail doesn't cause the problem, it doesn't work backwards.
Watch 13th on Netflix. Learn about private prisons, private prison owners political campaign donations to "tough on crime" candidates, 3 strikes law, recidivism rates from 1900 to 2017, 1994 crime bill, defunding of educational and vocational opportunities in prisons, private prisons begin looking at reading levels in the 3rd and 4th grade to determine how many prisons they should build, they are preying on our children, private companies paying for prison slave labor which is legal via the 13th amendment, said companies and private prisons having a financial interest in increasing the prison population, etc. A good prison industry looks to put itself out of business. Our system looks to increase the prison population and your tax dollars fund it all.

Quote:
No sense responding any further. You are a liberal, we won't ever agree. I mean, I can't possibly disagree more with your logic. Just best to move on. Our worldviews are totally different.
It's not my logic as much as it's pragmatism and facts. Follow the money. Locking people up doesn't work.
Quote:
Given your view though, not sure why you are wanting to leave New Orleans. It's the result of the type governing you claim to want.
New Orleans is largely the result of regressive policy. New Orleans doesn't' invest in education, it doesn't invest in infrastructure, it doesn't invest in it's poor people, it hasn't ended the drug war, New Orleans' is in a regressive state that is similar to Mississippi, bottom of every list. So there are plenty of reasons to go to a state that helps support this country rather than suck on the teet and complain about other people sucking on the teet. The type of governing that New Orleans has is not what I want. I don't want a mayor that is concerned about his national image, nor his attention to the French Quarter whenever a big event is in town while neglecting the poor. I am a liberal I guess but I am not a Democrat. I don't like Obama, Clinton, Landrieu, nor Edwards.

California has the world's 5th largest economy for a reason. Louisiana will soon have to thank Mississippi and Puerto Rico for keeping it out of last place on every quality of life measure.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:26 PM

The DoD has even stated that education has become a matter of national defense.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:37 PM

381 posts, read 277,509 times
Bet you old Robert E Lee et al,will have wry smiles on their faces.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:07 PM

806 posts, read 877,089 times
Quote:
The DoD has even stated that education has become a matter of national defense.
In what context ?

Old 06-14-2017, 07:34 PM

This is what I found in a quick Google search.
file:///C:/Users/Antrell/Downloads/TFR68_Education_National_Security.pdf

When education is an ignored national security matter | TheHill

Old 06-15-2017, 06:14 PM

806 posts, read 877,089 times
Did you even read the article ? Not much there that pertains to crime , prisons , etc. It's all about training for military , national security experts , etc.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
Did you even read the article ? Not much there that pertains to crime , prisons , etc. It's all about training for military , national security experts , etc.
All of which must pass thru the American education system. Of course it's about the military, it's a report from the DoD..

Old 06-16-2017, 10:34 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times
Quote:
All of which must pass thru the American education system. Of course it's about the military, it's a report from the DoD..
I don't subscribe to sheep mentality, which is what most self-serving articles are all about.

I read an article the other day about Birmingham, about how a study found that it's 'fractured' state is stifling its development. Well, duh. But the article went on to blame everyone who left, and claimed they need to either come back, be annexed it, or come under a regional government (with Birmingham keeping the power). It was all pro-Birmingham, and anti-suburbs. That's great, but they never discussed the actual problems the city itself brings to the table. Again, self-serving, and not looking at any of the opinions of suburbanites. You can't unite that way.

The DoD (and all government) wants public education to reign, so they can force feed their agendas. I don't agree or disagree with that, because agendas change, depending on who is in power. But just say that, don't hide behind some thinly veiled attempt to 'care' about diseases or the next world conflict. You don't need public education to get the information and form your own opinion. And if I don't agree with what the government is doing, NO WAY I'm going to allow them to influence my kids' thinking.

There is a reason homeschooling is rising exponentially in popularity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans