Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 02:22 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Isn't living around crime a very normal thing around the world? Pretty much all of South America, Africa, and SE Asia, have countries with high crime rates. I always thought that living in safe areas was out of the norm for humans. I don't like crime but it doesn't freak me out. I've ran from shootings and stuff in BR growing up.

That's just your perspective on it. I put myself in that position because I still prefer what the city has to offer and it feels like home. Going to a place like Denver or Seattle or Dallas isn't what my heart desires. But I probably will move eventually, just to move around ya know.
Uhhh. No.

When people have the choice, they generally chose to live somewhere safe. Its counterproductive to the whole system of human reproduction and species perpetuation to live somewhere that you are in constant danger. Biologic "fight or flight" responses developed from a time that humans were food. We now have the luxury of choosing not to be food by living somewhere that we don't get preyed on.

Yes, there are dangerous places all over the world. That doesn't make them desirable. When a city crosses from "I won't get shot walking around at 9pm" to "I very well may get shot walking around at 9pm" it does beg the question about who wants to be there. Those with an instinct for self-preservation and the means to do so may go elsewhere. A contingent of loyalists will remain and those without a choice (many of whom may also perpetuate the crime) will also be there. This is a very old pattern. Unfortunate? Yes. But still valid.

My fondest wish is that the pendulum will swing back and New Orleans will get serious about safety. Its a wonderful place with abundant charm. It is just not worth getting shot over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 03:24 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times
Visited New Orleans last May and had a great time but probably wouldn't go back.

DID NOT feel comfortable walking back to our hotel from Bourbon Street one night though. It is a total freak show, luckily there were four of us and we were fine.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:16 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
That's the problem New Orleans has, it's a thug mentality with scarce police coverage and people are sick and tired of it. It's ashame our politicians wont put this at the top of there agenda instead of blowing money like drunk sailors on all kind of political bs. As far as the murder rate pretty sure many of the killings are vigilanty style hits as this is sumtimes the only way to get justice. Imagine if that was your brother that took that cheap sucker punch, just sayin folks in New Orleans take matters into there own hands. They'll give you the shirt off there backs, but if you wrong someone it can get ugly pretty quick.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:26 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times
I was thinking...maybe somebody needs to go Charles Bronson (Death Wish) on them.

Kind of like the bait cars that cops put out but instead somebody looking all touristy an vulnerable until they are attacked. No prisoners.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:52 PM

Trust me, there are thangs that could be done to curb this crime, naw the politicians are to busy stealing the city blind and political agendas, to get down and dirty and take crime on. Course u can believe the city gona be hell bent on protecting the tourist in town this week-end, God save the rest of us, glockup. https://www.facebook.com/battleofnew...377364/?type=3

Old 06-30-2017, 09:19 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
They'll give you the shirt off there backs, but if you wrong someone it can get ugly pretty quick.
This is a legacy of the French culture. In French idealistic society honor and "saving face" were always important and people were always courteous until they were disrespected and then there were duels.

In contrast British rationalism and/or realism was the focus, which focused on disregarding emotions and focusing on solving issues in rational ways.

This is why almost every British colony has become more successful than former French colonies. Australia, New Zealand, India, US have all done well.

In contrast French cultures Louisiana, Haiti, Morocco, most parts of western Africa, and Vietnam have had more varied successes.

I have both British and French blood so I can say this with impartiality. It's just a part of our culture. Also, that same French culture is why Morocco, Louisiana, Quebec, etc... are so unique and tourists want to visit. The reason being that idealism extended into food and culture. To a Frenchman they had to prove to the rest of the world they had the best culture, the best music, the best food. They have immense pride. It's why the chefs in New Orleans are always trying to outdo each other. On the flip side, if you cross them, there's hell to pay.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:19 AM

806 posts, read 877,089 times
I don't know anybody that fears the French .

Old 07-01-2017, 08:05 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
I don't know anybody that fears the French .
Next time you see a Frenchman, talk bad about France and see what happens.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:19 AM

806 posts, read 877,089 times
That would be about half of my Mother's family . They don't scare me . Well , there is this one Aunt ...

Old 07-02-2017, 11:04 AM

My wifes side straight up coon ass, start trouble w/one u get the whole clan on u.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans