Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 08:22 AM

274 posts, read 297,602 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting New Orleans and looking for suggestions on what to do during the first weekend in December

I'm interested in non-standard tourist stuff, so I'm looking for local advice on what to check out.I was reading up on places like this in terms of food- https://firstwefeast.com/eat/how-new...poboy-movement

Any feedback? Especially interested in the stables:

Best Chargrilled Oysters
Best Catfish Po'boy
Best dive bar in the quarter
Best dive bar outside the quarter
Best neighborhood outside the quarter to wonder around

It's a pity there are no paradises this week. Would love to experience one of those. Absent of that, anything else going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 11:53 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
I would add this to your list
Central Grocery & Deli
Their muffulatta is very good

Old 11-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I would add this to your list
Central Grocery & Deli
Their muffulatta is very good
Thanks! Someone was saying to check-out the muffulatta at Verti Marte https://www.neworleans.com/listing/verti-marte/34178/

Allegedly it's even better than the legendary Central Grocery. Is there truth to this?

Old 11-21-2017, 02:10 PM

75 posts, read 183,500 times
I'm going to be there for about a week starting Christmas day. I would like to know which po' boy you guys think is best too. Also, I don't ever see a lot of people recommending Cafe Beignet over Cafe Du Monde, although I prefer the former. Does anyone else like Cafe Beignet better or is that just me?

Old 11-21-2017, 03:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post
I'll be visiting New Orleans and looking for suggestions on what to do during the first weekend in December

I'm interested in non-standard tourist stuff, so I'm looking for local advice on what to check out.I was reading up on places like this in terms of food- https://firstwefeast.com/eat/how-new...poboy-movement

Any feedback? Especially interested in the stables:

Best Chargrilled Oysters
Best Catfish Po'boy
Best dive bar in the quarter
Best dive bar outside the quarter
Best neighborhood outside the quarter to wonder around

It's a pity there are no paradises this week. Would love to experience one of those. Absent of that, anything else going on?
Chargrilled oysters - Acme Oyster House
Catfish Po-boy - Parkway Bakery and Tavern
Best dive bar in the Q - Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop
Best dive bar outside the Q - Ms Mae's
Best neighborhood outside the quarter to wonder around - Garden District if you like architecture or Marigny if you like rustic charm

Old 11-21-2017, 04:43 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,819 times
When I was younger dive bars were my thing. I have lived in several cities, and visited many others. The best dive bar ever is Snake and Jake's on Oak St. Just realize that it is a real dive bar, and you might feel a little dirty when you leave.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:58 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,819 times
I agree with cbach on the Garden District. That is a beautiful neighborhood.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:35 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
Spend some time walking along Magazine St. There are dense stretches of bars, restaurants and stores from the expressway all the way up to Audubon Park. The 11 bus runs along the full length of Magazine St. and runs frequently and can get you back to wherever you started if need be.

Check the music listings and go see a show outside of quarter and downtown(Maple Leaf, Le Bon Ton, Chickie Wah Wah, Banks St. Bar, Carrolton Station, Gasa Gasa, Tipitinas, etc.)
https://www.wwoz.org/calendar/livewire-music

There are the Christmas lights in City Park's botanical garden during the holidays. It's kind of a local tradition.
Celebration In The Oaks | New Orleans City Park

Parkway for po-boys if you're in Mid-City, Guys or Mahoney's if you're Uptown.

Central Grocery is THE traditional Muffulatta, but there are different variations around town and it's subjective. Verti-Mart's is good as well and Cochon does a hot/melty version.

Don't stress about beignets. They're all good.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:08 AM

Thanks!!

I was just so tried of the normal - go to Cafe du Monde, go to Bourbon, go to Jackson Square, go to Mothers, etc that are on the boring travel websites.

I'm staying at the Hilton St. Charles. I think I got a deal at $150 a night + tax. That's around my budget. Any hotel advice?

Old 11-26-2017, 08:09 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
Check out the Roosevelt Hotel. Their Christmas lights are beautiful.

We like the Verti-Mart food. It is close to our house on Barrack Street, so when we are in town we pick up food there often.

We also like the Louisiana Pizza Kitchen, also close by. They have a good wine selection.

We prefer Morning Call for beignets, but as was said earlier, "they're all good." District Doughnuts on Magazine has really good doughnuts and sliders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: