Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 06:29 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,148,079 times

Advertisements

I'll apologize up front for asking what probably has been asked a million times.

My girlfriend and I are both visiting from Raleigh in early January to celebrate her 30th birthday. Somehow neither of us have every been, despite loving history and historical buildings, food, cocktails, music, the water, etc. Maybe the whole Mardi Gras thing seemed too much.

Anyways, we've put together a nice little list from Yelp, TripAdvisor, Google, etc. for things to check out. But I know most cities have a whole bunch of hidden gems, authentic food and drink places, and must see spots (and places to not bother with/avoid). I've perused this forum a bit and noticed some crime things/weird events. I wasn't particularly worried about it, but I'm sure New Orleans is like Raleigh and every place I've been with a few not-so-safe spots.

So, I'm curious for any recommendations, advice, or info anyone would like to provide. Thanks in advance!

(Side question, stupid as it is, but do y'all say "New OAR-linz" or one of the many other pronunciations?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 2,185 times
I visit New Orleans often and my favorite things to do are eat (current favorites include Lil Dizzy's, High Hat and the daily half-price happy hour at Domenica), hear music (all over, but the concentration on Frenchmen Street is hard to beat; check Gambit for listings) and walk a second line -- search for who's parading the Sunday you'll be there and meet up with them at their starting point. You can walk the whole parade route listening to the band, watching the dancers, and eating and drinking from the carts and wagons along the route. It's a blast and a very NOLA thing to do.
I say nyor-linz.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:50 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,970,899 times
I have recently discovered a podcast called "Beyond Bourbon Street"

It is by Mark Bologna who is a native New Orleanian that also LOVES his city...... He publishes twice a month and started back in 2016...... LOTS AND LOTS of great ideas!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: