Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 08:50 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Well I'm not that pessimistic or harsh. I still think the city is on the right trajectory even if things have slowed.

I don't think Annie was being harsh at all man. I think you're being sensitive because of your love of the city...which I think we both understand, honestly

I mean no disrespect or slight when I say this by the way. I'm hoping you don't take offense, but after years and years of seeing continual decline despite your own fervent optimism, one begins to see the city for what it actually is...instead of what you want it to be. Please don't mistake the honesty for pessimism.

I was living on the Westbank around the time "Silicon Bayou" was initially coined. I cannot tell you just how much I looked forward to seeing software companies and good-paying jobs come to the area. That combined with the film industry...I just knew New Orleans would eventually compare to cities like Austin, Charlotte, and eventually Atlanta.

Here we are 10 years after that initial spark/resurgence and what's changed??

Cost of living has skyrocketed while wages have not. So when you say the city is on the right trajectory - in what way?

Honest question. Not trying to be combative in the slightest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 10:23 AM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times
Maybe I misinterpreted it or something but saying people are satisfied to live in squalor or that if you like where you live you are delusional, I'd say that's a little harsh.

Is the economy not where it should be? Yes. Does it take decades to overhaul an economy? Yes. But looking at other areas I see signs of continued improvement. Construction and revitalization of neighborhoods continues. Crime was dropping to lows not seen since the 1970s (I'll call 2020 a fluke/national trend). My point about cost of living was that it's a sign of demand, whether good or bad.

Could a lot more be done? Totally. Population growth has fizzled out, the state totally screwed its self on the film industry, and quality job growth is more than lacking.

Call it blind optimism or homerism on my part but yeah y'all are an overly pessimistic bunch, lol. And I'll be the first to say New Orleans was never going to be an Atlanta or Charlotte or whatever, post-Katrina.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:49 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Quote:
Maybe I misinterpreted it or something but saying people are satisfied to live in squalor or that if you like where you live you are delusional, I'd say that's a little harsh.

Is the economy not where it should be? Yes. Does it take decades to overhaul an economy? Yes. But looking at other areas I see signs of continued improvement. Construction and revitalization of neighborhoods continues. Crime was dropping to lows not seen since the 1970s (I'll call 2020 a fluke/national trend). My point about cost of living was that it's a sign of demand, whether good or bad.

Could a lot more be done? Totally. Population growth has fizzled out, the state totally screwed its self on the film industry, and quality job growth is more than lacking.

Call it blind optimism or homerism on my part but yeah y'all are an overly pessimistic bunch, lol. And I'll be the first to say New Orleans was never going to be an Atlanta or Charlotte or whatever, post-Katrina.

Yea the one thing I do want to address from this statement is my previous post stating New Orleans could compare to "Austin, Charlotte or eventually Atlanta"...I need to clarify that I in no way meant that N.O could be those places. No one wants that.

I won't call your love and hope for New Orleans blind optimism, the same way I don't call my love and honesty pessimism

Have a great Monday, my man...

Old 01-11-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Yea the one thing I do want to address from this statement is my previous post stating New Orleans could compare to "Austin, Charlotte or eventually Atlanta"...I need to clarify that I in no way meant that N.O could be those places. No one wants that.

I won't call your love and hope for New Orleans blind optimism, the same way I don't call my love and honesty pessimism

Have a great Monday, my man...
Ohh I know what you meant.

Nothing like a good meet in the middle. Everybody needs a little sweet with that sour and vice versa, haha.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:45 PM

85 posts, read 69,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibs View Post
How can New Orleans improve its growth?

... smaller bugs

Old 01-12-2021, 03:38 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times
New Orleans must crack down hard on the crime & poverty before it can ever hope of attracting economic investment to the city. A lot of N.O. natives touched down in Houston, and for them, Houston is a gold mine. I feel for N.O. because it's a lovely city with amazing history, food & culture, but crime, complacency and crooked politicians have screwed that place up.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:39 AM

203 posts, read 518,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
New Orleans must crack down hard on the crime & poverty before it can ever hope of attracting economic investment to the city. A lot of N.O. natives touched down in Houston, and for them, Houston is a gold mine. I feel for N.O. because it's a lovely city with amazing history, food & culture, but crime, complacency and crooked politicians have screwed that place up.
Ok. Sidney D. Torres IV

Old 01-12-2021, 10:43 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 636,759 times
I have seen a lot of improvement the last 5 years judging by my neighborhood LGD. There are a lot of young high income earner bought and renovated the property left and right 500-900k homes in a good location selling like hot cakes. A lot of startups in downtown as well.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:30 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:

I do think people at home accept living in squalor sometimes, those who have traveled and are generally knowledgeable about the world. I don't think that if you like it you're delusional. Everyone has preferences.

By construction and development, are you talking about well paying, sustainable jobs for current citizens? Because gentrification isn't good for the citizens, just the owners.

I don't see it as pessimism (I see it as realism) but expecting Louisiana to change wasted enough years of my life.

We have the resources to improve QOL, yet nothing is done and, no offense, but people who make excuses about it are part of the reason. Good enough won't do and young people like me will continue to leave.

Even Alabama is nicer than Louisiana. We are saved by New Orleans being famous and Mississippi sucking.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I do think people at home accept living in squalor sometimes, those who have traveled and are generally knowledgeable about the world. I don't think that if you like it you're delusional. Everyone has preferences.

By construction and development, are you talking about well paying, sustainable jobs for current citizens? Because gentrification isn't good for the citizens, just the owners.

I don't see it as pessimism (I see it as realism) but expecting Louisiana to change wasted enough years of my life.

We have the resources to improve QOL, yet nothing is done and, no offense, but people who make excuses about it are part of the reason. Good enough won't do and young people like me will continue to leave.

Even Alabama is nicer than Louisiana. We are saved by New Orleans being famous and Mississippi sucking.
We can agree to disagree. I was just trying to point out some positive developments I see happening in the city (you know, cause I actually live here). But I guess that's not allowed, it doesn't fit the narrative.

It's good you're happy where you moved, surprisingly many Louisianians and New Orleanians are still happy and by god even prospering living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans