U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:53 PM

522 posts, read 1,521,686 times

Advertisements

Wow @ some of the responses.

I spent a year in New Orleans and did not experience a single incident. Mind you, I spent that entire year under the influence of alcohol and walking around the city while intoxicated, at many times alone.

And, I went down there without visiting.

I would still recommend visiting (I wish I had), but overall, I had a good time down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 07:41 PM

44 posts, read 135,570 times
Hello, Herron...
I just moved from Chicago with two large dogs (great dane and boxer mix) and I have a much larger yard here on the Westbank than I ever would have DREAMED in Chicago... (just a thought). Not sure about the homes in Nola proper, as Im sure the yards are smaller, but Im only about 10 minutes away from the downtown! NOLA is very small to me, but very endearing... Very unique too! I think a visit is a good idea... I visited and couldnt wait to return and explore more of the city. Im STILL waiting to explore more of it... as I work a lot of hours in another town and dont have a ton of time...

Old 09-14-2008, 10:14 AM

9 posts, read 21,985 times
My wife and I just moved from the northeast. I have also lived on the west coast. You can see our other posts. We really love it here. Positives outweigh the negatives. In addition, with regard to the negatives, don't try to resist them. Just note they are there, try to acclimate to them as best you can and move on...otherwise you will not be a happy person. This applies to "negatives" anywhere. To be specific about the "negatives" it depends on the person. Could be crime, weather, lack of a "dog park" etc.... Read Confedaracy of Dunces before you come down, then jump right in and enjoy the ride. Ignatius in my opinion "surfs the negatives" and throws the "files" in the trash. Shouldn't be that extreme, but try to end up somewhere in the middle. Also, take what people say on the forum with a grain of salt. Just a quick example...someone said the temparature in the summer is in the upper 90's. This is total BS. It is usually in the low 90's. With the humidity (which I don't think is that bad) the HEAT INDEX is higher. This lasts about 3-4 months and then the weather is much more comfortable. The "winter" here is like having 6 months of a New England fall which I think is great. I would rather have 3-4 months of a hot summer then freeze my ass off somewhere or have absolutely no variation in seasons like California (or at least southern California).

Old 09-14-2008, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,285 times
Default Visit first...

I'm single with no pets or family.

I moved from New England to NOLA a couple of years ago and moved back to New England after a year. Based on what you hear or read about crime in the city, one would think it would be a very undesirable place to live, but I can't recall seeing any noticeable crimes taking place while I was living there. I spent many hours wandering around the city-including at night-without incident. The eccentriciities take getting used to, but if that's something one finds appealing, then NOLA is definitely an interesting place to live.

It has been a year since I lived there, and I just recieved a job offer with the same company I worked with while living down there previously; I'm planning on taking the job.

For me, everyday I'm here in New Hampshire, New Orleans seems to pull at my heartstrings--I love the the city very much. So that's why I'm planning on going back (and it helps having friends living there, too).

Depending on your situation, personality, desires, NOLA is clearly not for everyone. I think New orleans requires a very unique individual to love and enjoy such a place despite all the negatives.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:36 PM

8,011 posts, read 7,857,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue9 View Post
This is total BS. It is usually in the low 90's. With the humidity (which I don't think is that bad) the HEAT INDEX is higher.
I merely quoted what some life-long natives in New Orleans told me about their summers when I've been there. And they all said it was miserable. Maybe you just have better tolerance for it?

I was raised in the central San Joaquin Valley, Calif, in high-dry heat, and, although I live in Oregon now, to this day I'm hardier in dry 100 degree weather than most people. But I know most others don't like it.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:35 PM

23 posts, read 52,913 times
Default NOLA City Bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue9 View Post
To be specific about the "negatives" it depends on the person. Could be . . . lack of a "dog park" etc.... Read Confedaracy of Dunces before you come down, then jump right in and enjoy the ride.
Definitely read Confederacy of Dunces prior to coming down - if you have time & enjoy a good funny book.

Regarding the dog park issue, for those of you unaware, we are supposed to be getting a grand dog park by Spring 2009!!
NOLA City Bark | Take the Bark to the Park

Old 09-14-2008, 06:48 PM

23 posts, read 52,913 times
Default Little crime Post-Katrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Crime has always been a problem there and it's gotten worse since Katrina.
I have lived here my entire life and crime has never seemed so much less than it does now during post-Katrina. As my name implies, I live in Mid-City and there have not been any break-ins within a 3 block radius, as far as I know. There are PLENTY of hot-spots like any typical city.
There are less people altogether so the statistics may seem worse but the isolated crime spots are the same.

As for mugging incidents, this happens mostly to those tourists who are wandering the wrong end of Frenchmen after midnight, in Central City (taking a wrong turn off St. Charles...), etc. It's best to drive around and get to know the place. Talk to the locals. A little street-smart will take you a long way.

Another note about dog parks - while we wait for the completion of City Bark in the park, the levee at the Riverbend (end of Magazine St., left at River Road) is a great, well-known meeting spot for friendly dogs and their owners to play ball and run around.

Last edited by MidCityBrady; 09-14-2008 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: sentence structure

Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 7,857,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidCityBrady View Post
I have lived here my entire life and crime has never seemed so much less than it does now during post-Katrina. As my name implies, I live in Mid-City and there have not been any break-ins within a 3 block radius, as far as I know. There are PLENTY of hot-spots like any typical city. .

As for mugging incidents, this happens mostly to those tourists who are wandering the wrong end of Frenchmen after midnight, in Central City (taking a wrong turn off St. Charles...), etc. It's best to drive around and get to know the place. Talk to the locals. A little street-smart will take you a long way.
Have the strong police presence in French Quarter and some outlying areas been cut back? When I was there last year, Bourbon Street had them all over the place, and always in pairs if not more. We drove around various areas of the city and saw Martial Law camped out, but I cannot remember where that was specifically.

Quite frankly, as a tourist I felt safer in those popular spots than I do in Portland!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:55 PM

102 posts, read 235,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herron451 View Post
I know it is an odd question, but I am not in a position to scout first, so, here goes...

I am a 30 year old man with a border collie/australian shepherd cross. I want a quiet environment with access to folklore and mythology (a geeky passion, but mine none the less). I have heard wonderful things about New Orleans from some folks (lots of things to do, liberal minded folks), but I have heard horrifying things, too (rampant racism, high crime). Is this a good place for a person like me? Will I be comfortable and happy there?

Bear in mind that I realize you folks don't know me, so maybe general atmosphere of the city would be helpful. Political outlooks, religous outlook and prevalence, personal interactions, etc...

Thanks much folks and have a wonderful day.
I will give you some info on what New Orleans is like, but I would really recommend seeing it for yourself before moving there. I have read in many different sources that the crime is worse than it was before Katrina. As far as religion, I can tell you that the two major Christian denominations are Catholic and Baptist. Racism can sometimes be a problem in New Orleans, but I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you actually encounter it.
I don't know about the folklore/mythology thing, but New Orleans is famous for it's ghosts. One more thing: In Louisiana, the humidity is incredible (85-110%) for most of Spring and Summer. At first, weather that extreme could make you sick, and could take some time to adjust to. I hope this helps you some. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:22 AM

9 posts, read 21,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfish View Post
I will give you some info on what New Orleans is like, but I would really recommend seeing it for yourself before moving there. I have read in many different sources that the crime is worse than it was before Katrina. As far as religion, I can tell you that the two major Christian denominations are Catholic and Baptist. Racism can sometimes be a problem in New Orleans, but I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you actually encounter it.
I don't know about the folklore/mythology thing, but New Orleans is famous for it's ghosts. One more thing: In Louisiana, the humidity is incredible (85-110%) for most of Spring and Summer. At first, weather that extreme could make you sick, and could take some time to adjust to. I hope this helps you some. Good luck!
Another person who is just saying whatever they want to say.
"The relative humidity of an air-water mixture is defined as the ratio of the partial pressure of water vapor in the mixture to the saturated vapor pressure of water at a prescribed temperature. Relative humidity is normally expressed as a percentage"
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A RELATIVE HUMIDITY ABOVE 100 PERCENT BASED ON THE ABOVE DEFINITION! 110%!!!! WHERE DID YOU GET THAT? PLEASE, IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER DON'T JUST MAKE IT UP! This applies to everything, not just the weather. People who are considering moving here may take a lot away from this forum and they need ACCURATE information..... not just people making stuff up who don't even live here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans