Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:11 PM

212 posts, read 901,291 times

Advertisements

I was wondering: Do people in Louisiana keep alligators as pets? What happens when they are too big for a person to keep? Could you just take it to the nearest river/bayou/swamp and leave it there once it is too big to be kept as a pet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 06:25 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
The average Louisianian would not keep an alligator as a pet. Most want alligators to be far away from their property because they are very dangerous. Even the little ones that look so cute can take your fingers off. This isn't to say that some people don't keep them until they are too big to fit in their environment. Then I suppose they either kill them or set them free.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
The average Louisianian would not keep an alligator as a pet. Most want alligators to be far away from their property because they are very dangerous. Even the little ones that look so cute can take your fingers off. This isn't to say that some people don't keep them until they are too big to fit in their environment. Then I suppose they either kill them or set them free.
This may sound crazy, but I would like to have an alligator as a pet. Now don't think I'm going to do anything stupid, like stick my finger in its mouth. I would be a little concerned about feeding it. I heard that alligators can't tell the difference between a hand and food. Once it gets too big, I would set if free. I would probably only keep it until it's too big to fit in an average sized fish tank.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
This may sound crazy, but I would like to have an alligator as a pet. Now don't think I'm going to do anything stupid, like stick my finger in its mouth. I would be a little concerned about feeding it. I heard that alligators can't tell the difference between a hand and food. Once it gets too big, I would set if free. I would probably only keep it until it's too big to fit in an average sized fish tank.
This would be very CRUEL to the alligator. A fish tank is not equal to their natural environment. And after being your "pet" fro a while, it could not survive in the wild as it would have been raised to have food dropped in the tank. Please re-think this idea!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
This would be very CRUEL to the alligator. A fish tank is not equal to their natural environment. And after being your "pet" fro a while, it could not survive in the wild as it would have been raised to have food dropped in the tank. Please re-think this idea!
I didn't think about the fact that it wouldn't be able to live in the wild after being a pet. Maybe it would be better if I had the alligator in the pond with some fish so it would have to catch it's own food. I really care about animals and would never want to do something that would cause trouble for it. Maybe it would be better if I lived near a river where I could see alligators in the wild instead of having one as a pet.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 AM

126 posts, read 471,372 times
Alligators aren't pets. If you want to live close to an alligator, live on a bayou like my aunt. She watches the alligators move around and sleep on logs from her back porch every morning to coffee and the paper. Other than that---leave them alone. If you invite them into your yard by feeding them, they could harm your pets or even a small child.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
Alligators aren't pets. If you want to live close to an alligator, live on a bayou like my aunt. She watches the alligators move around and sleep on logs from her back porch every morning to coffee and the paper. Other than that---leave them alone. If you invite them into your yard by feeding them, they could harm your pets or even a small child.

Actually I was thinking of living near Bayou Segnette or Honey Island Swamp.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:51 PM

258 posts, read 1,020,427 times
Good call, Alligators are pissed, dinosaur like animals who will destroy you.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:47 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Only a thread about what it's like to live in N.O could metamorphasize into the pros and cons about keeping an alligator as a pet!
Speaking of which, is a gladiator just a really happy alligator?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Only a thread about what it's like to live in N.O could metamorphasize into the pros and cons about keeping an alligator as a pet!
Speaking of which, is a gladiator just a really happy alligator?

Very true. Maybe a thread about living somewhere in the southwest would metamorphasize into the pros and cons of keeping a scorpion or other arachnid as a pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans