Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,344 times

Advertisements

I realize this is very old, but people still may read it. It is not THAT bad. It is a city and has the problems cities have. Ignore the riff raff, ignore the panhandlers, don't speak to them, don't reply to them. I've lived in the N.O. area my whole life and have never once had a problem. Blend in, don't look like a tourist, and be aware of your surroundings. If you're sober, walking at a steady pace, and not wearing beads (except at Mardi gras, of course), they'll likely leave you alone. If you wear beads in the summer, saunter along (it is okay in the Quarter, but NOT in the CBD -- downtown area), or are drunk you'll be spotted as an easy mark. The rule is DON'T BE STUPID!
More, per the comments above: there's nothing on the riverfront. Forget it. Just a linear park full of vagrants and a whole lot of nothing. The D-Day Museum (now the National WWII Museum) is cool if you are into WWII, otherwise don't waste your time there. The Monteleone is nice, but overpriced and there are hotels just as nice that aren't. The Holiday Inn with the big clarinet painted on it was the old Howard Johson's where a sniper murdered a bunch of people from the roof back in the 1970s. I have not entered the building since and never will.
There's a LOT in N.O. It is a great city. But if you only have a day or two, stick to the Quarter, avoid dark streets at night, and don't stand out. You'll be fine. One more thing: don't prononunce it "Nawlins" OR "New Orleens." Say New Orleans, just like it is spelled, or "New Orlins" with a short i. Telling people to say "Nawlins" is a joke we play on tourists, no real New Orleanians say it that way EVER and "New Orleens" just means "I'm not from here and I'm wearing that fact on my sleeve."
And never, never, never give money to the tap dancing children nor engage in conversation any huckster who wants to wager he can tell you "where you got your shoes" (the correct answer is "on your feet").
AND DON'T WEAR BEADS OUTSIDE OF CARNIVAL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 AM

37 posts, read 75,032 times
I lived there for years and I'm not jumpy, but I never liked that station. You're only a few blocks from decent parts of town, but if you're new to N.O. that means take a short cab ride. If you're planning on staying at a hotel, and there are plenty near there, then definitely make the stop. Keep your wits about you, the city is perfectly manageable, but isn't very forgiving at times.

Be wary of drivers at the station telling you there's a set fare from there - this is a crock of **** and a quick offer to call the company will correct them.

I'd head to Frenchmen Street, grab a burger at Port of Call, get a beer at the Spotted Cat, glance at Bourbon Street and then get some shut-eye so that you can get to Central Grocery for your muffelata the next morning. All of this is easily walkable from most downtown hotels, but stick to lit streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans