Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:40 AM

35 posts, read 184,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Its a percieved vs. real situation. The lower 9 is not the safest place in the city, but it isn't as bad as it's made to be. My advice would be to just be street smart and use common sense. We really need people who are willing to help rebuild. The main problem with the 9 post-K I believe is that the area is largely deserted making anything that happens easily unoticable. If you come just stay close to the group and act as you would in any other larger city except give off that "I'm afraid someone might rob me" look (it could instantly make you a target). The 9th Ward is not the best place but I think I'd rather stay there then some parts of Central City or the Iberville .

If you do decide to come, Good luck and be safe. Just realize that New Orleans is a city with a crime problem as well as many other problems and she is in the long process of trying to sort things out. It's like going through puberty 300 years too late. We really need people like you to come and help with the recovery process so I hope that nothing I said frightened you away.

Stay aware of your surroundings
Be vigilant
Use common sense
Make a difference

oh no, we are definitely coming, we really want to help rebuild, but I just wanted to know what to be prepared for.

Thank you so much for all of your information and I will definitely be careful. I'm really looking forward to coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:07 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,701,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer grace View Post
I've heard from my friend who lives in Metairie that the 9th ward had bad crime before Katrina, she said it was the murder capitol of the murder capital. She said it was wiped clean with the destruction during Katrina, so there's less crime now I gather. She said nobody wanted to go in the 9th ward before Katrina, much less after- these are her exact words. I've never been to New Orleans though.
People who have never been to New Orleans should not spread hearsay about New Orleans. If you are staying with a group and with a sponsoring church you should be just fine. The 9th ward is largely deserted.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:32 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,438,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
People who have never been to New Orleans should not spread hearsay about New Orleans. If you are staying with a group and with a sponsoring church you should be just fine. The 9th ward is largely deserted.

Sadly people in the city do the same. I hear people from East Jeff and Uptown make statements about the 9th Ward and the East being warzones when in reality they stay 2 blocks riverbound from hell.

I don't see myself living in the East but most of it is actually nice with the exception of the strip close to the I-10 and some areas off of Read and Crowder. Thankfully though perceptions like this have kept the city from turning into overdevelopment like Metairie or Harvey, but then again the city could use the tax dollars and the East is set up for that type of development.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:13 AM

195 posts, read 1,075,374 times
I was just quoting what she told me, I did say I hadn't been there. My friend lives in Metairie and has her whole life, it's her view not mine, I was quoting her view word for word as expressed in writing to me, that's what she told me in 2006, not recently. I agree that having never been there, I have no opinion on the 9th ward one way or the other, I wouldn't know. So, I guess I was just spreading hearsay, but it wasn't my own hearsay. I apologize.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:21 AM

7,773 posts, read 10,066,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
That wasn't hearsay. It was her friend's first-hand opinion. And I think grace made it very clear these were not her words.

Anyway, I'm only responding because your defensiveness turned me off a little, but I can certainly understand why you might be sensitive about what you perceive to be misconceptions. I come from a city with a very similar (and I too feel undeserved) reputation, so I can empathize.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:36 AM

195 posts, read 1,075,374 times
I highly encourage anyone to visit N.O and rebuild, actually and am so happy that's what the original poster decided to do- I think it will be a very enjoyable experience for her. I love N. O- just see my other posts. I think it's a very friendly and great place, from what I know from my friend and I LONG to visit or even live there. If only I lived in NOLA, instead of IA where people aren't very friendly. I truly love New Orleans, never doubt it.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 AM

35 posts, read 184,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer grace View Post
I highly encourage anyone to visit N.O and rebuild, actually and am so happy that's what the original poster decided to do- I think it will be a very enjoyable experience for her. I love N. O- just see my other posts. I think it's a very friendly and great place, from what I know from my friend and I LONG to visit or even live there. If only I lived in NOLA, instead of IA where people aren't very friendly. I truly love New Orleans, never doubt it.
You'll get there sometime!

I am really looking forward to rebuilding! I am sure there's lots to do!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,993,219 times
UK, the 9th ward was a war zone pre-K. It was a premo area for drug dealers. After Katrina the tiger turned into a kitty cat. Most of the drug dealers didn't own homes in the area, they rented or lived with relatives. The population that have returned to that area are, for the most part, decent people who are enjoying the loss of the drug dealing thugs in their community.

You will find the people there welcoming and appreciative because you are a volunteer. They are so thrilled to have their homes worked on. As for your personal safety, I wouldn't wander about at night, and during the day, if you want to take a walk, take someone with you. During the day, the place is as safe as walking the Quater, at night in spots it can be a bit shady. Not a horrible neighborhood like it used to be, the only place I would be really concerned about would be the area at the foot of the St. Claude bridge, and that would only be at night. During the day it's okay.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:53 PM

97 posts, read 283,827 times
Let me say that I do commend you for your efforts. After Katrina, we had people from all over the U.S. come to help out our non-profit organization (in Livingston Parish). We were so appreciative and words cannot express what it meant to us for people to give of their time, money and supplies to help the many families that we serve as they moved into our area.

I agree to be aware of your surroundings at all times and stay with a group.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,701,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
That wasn't hearsay. It was her friend's first-hand opinion. And I think grace made it very clear these were not her words.

Anyway, I'm only responding because your defensiveness turned me off a little, but I can certainly understand why you might be sensitive about what you perceive to be misconceptions. I come from a city with a very similar (and I too feel undeserved) reputation, so I can empathize.
Her friend's first-hand opinion . . . you don't know New Orleans. Most people who live in Metairie have spent little if any time in the Ninth Ward. Metairie is David Duke country, so they tend to denigrate the minority majority population in New Orleans, and would have no reason to go to the Ninth Ward.

And look up the definition of hearsay, because the posting qualifies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans