Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 20,468 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job working on a shipyard in Marrero, LA. We currently live in Alabama and know nothing about LA. Is Marrero a safe city to live in? Any other surrounding cities that are safer? We are use to long commutes to work(at least 30 minutes) so we dont mind living within 25-30 minutes of his job. What is the town like? What are some things to do? We have a 2 year old and I'm due in July with our second so what kind of family activities do they offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,344 times
post in the New Orleans forum - you are likely to get more responses there. Marrero is a suburb of N.O. - in what is known as the "Westbank", because it is on the west side of the Mississippi river (although it is south of the "Eastbank" lol). The westbank as a whole was generally safer before Katrina. Like any town there are some good areas and bad areas.

Family activities? There's the Audubon zoo in N.O., the aquarium, children's museums, etc, but nothing of that sort in Marrero or the westbank in particular that I can immediately think of, although I haven't been there in 3 years. There's fishing in Barataria/Lafitte/Bayou Segnette which is nearby, oh, and there is the Jean Lafitte nature trail, which is just outside Marrero. If you live in Marrero near the expressway (hwy 90) between Barataria Blvd and the Harvey canal, Immaculate Conception church and school has a really nice children's playground. I used to take my daughter there when we lived in the area. There are several catholic church fairs to enjoy, with food, contests, rides etc.

Actually, I don't know of any shipyards in Marrero. In Harvey (which is just east of Marrero), maybe something in Barataria?

Safer areas? Along the expressway I would say Gretna itself is the safest place. I don't know what the crime has been like since Katrina, but I do know that people that I talk to in general who still live back home don't feel quite as safe as they used to. Not so scared that they are moving away, but they are much more cautious now. The areas of the westbank that I lived in for over 40 years were the types of places where you weren't that concerned about leaving windows open or doors unlocked.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 AM

2 posts, read 13,658 times
I have also just come to Harvey this week from Viet Nam and I have no friend here to tell me about this city. I really like to discover this city and look for some friends here. I think if this is a safe land, I will staying here longer for job and living.

Who has any advice for me to live here. I have a trading company to supply clothes, Tshirt, nylon bags, calendars, many kind of product for a wholesale. Is it a good land for me to do business?

I hope to have chance to live here in the future.

Best wishes to all of members,

Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 AM

530 posts, read 2,624,882 times
I would agree with the other posters to ask this on the New Orleans page of the forum. Since Hurricane Katrina there has been a large increase in crime in Marrero and other areas on the West Bank. If you don't mind a drive, I would look into communities on the East Bank to live such as Metairie, River Ridge or Harahan.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:31 PM

19 posts, read 119,372 times
I heard that Marrero wasn't a very safe town. My husband was offered a job in Avondale and he ended up taking the job he was offered here so we are no longer moving to NOLA. Definitely post this question in the New Orleans forum.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:35 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
The westbank has good areas and bad areas just like anywhere else. A lot of the westbank is actually nice in a suburbia/Metairie kind of way. Try Harvey or Gretna.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:49 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
A lot of people who work at Avondale live in Old Jefferson/Harhahan. They just cross the Huey P daily.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
For those not familiar with the area, Huey P Long is a bridge over the river, from roughly Clearview Pkwy on the Metairie side to a mostly undeveloped area on the West Bank, but it is much quicker usually than the downtown bridge.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 9,783 times
i live in marrero for more than 25 yrs.and theres lots of activity,the city have lil league parks,middle school sports,high school sports, the city have more than a dozen family parks,one of the best is bayou sagnette,,marrero is a city where all mix of people can come togeather,,very nice place to live no matter what your imcome thers something for everyone.and marrero have a outstanding see food market and not like the east bank you can drive from one end to the other end with out getting of the main road hwy 90 in for as crime now aint that america

Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 PM

30 posts, read 80,492 times
FYI: check spotcrime.com for marrerro/ harvey area, its crime infested;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans