Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:58 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,469,889 times

Advertisements

The evening news is B.S. most of the time. As far as the shooting, it's bad enough that 7 people were shot so why spin it to sound worse. As far as crime stats, New Orleans is at the top as far as murder, not random violence/crime. If people would actually process information instead of running with it the know the true situation. Regardless, Louisiana would still be the deadliest state with or without New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 02:59 PM

194 posts, read 544,513 times
Yes, the evening news tells the ASPECT OF THE STORY that sells the most ads. Period. That's why my family and friends gave me hell for a year before I moved - because they thought I'd be paddling around in a boat all the time dodging bullets. The only things they see on the news are Katrina footage and crime statistics. REPEATEDLY. That's it! They don't see all the great neighborhoods, people, music, art and community that I'm discovering for myself more and more every day.

New Orleans is one of the most important cities in the country when it comes to history, art, architecture, culture and -one other minor detail - it's a major port, as well. It deserves more from the national media than it has been getting.

I come from Atlanta, which has also been near the top in crime statistics for many years now. I love that city, too. There are way more good things about it than bad. I don't wander around dangerous neighborhoods at night anywhere. The shooting that happened on Canal St. last night could've happened in any other major city and similar things DO happen in other major cities as well as suburbs.

These crime issues certainly need to be addressed in more effective ways, but I'm tired of hearing New Orleans constantly being defined ONLY by the crime statistics. We all know which neighborhoods these crimes happen in 95% of the time, and that they're almost always committed by and against people who know each other. If we deal with the issues in those areas - poverty, drugs, crappy schools - the problems will go away. Most of the people in those neighborhoods are good people, cowering behind their shutters at night while a crucial few are causing trouble.

Go to city council meetings, educate yourself, vote in ALL the local elections, volunteer to tutor a child one afternoon a week. We who CARE can fix these problems. Do something productive or keep your negativity to yourself while the rest of us fix this city!!

Old 04-11-2010, 03:07 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,854,638 times
Yea, well in true waiting tundra style I've gotten to where I don't really pay as much attention to crime news or corrupt politician news as I used to, guess it doesn't grab my attention span like it used to, as it's pretty much a new crazy headline each nite, but with one self defense home invasion killing and a homicide murder within a few blocks of my 87 year old mothers house in the last month or so I guess it's kinda got my attention, sorry the homicide was on friday nite and not saturday nite, and I'm sorry for saying the guy was a bad shot, when you can wing 7 people in one shoting your a fairly good shot.
As far as making a impact I called crime stoppers and told them about an abandoned townhouse with suspicious activity going on(crack house), they said they were interested, it will bee interesting to see if anyone bothers to board it up, it's in the same block as the homicide occured on friday nite.
I also lived in Atlanta for a while, and it's about 10+ times bigger than New Orleans and while I don't share your love for the city I have to give credit where credit's do and that being you do not see people with a bunch of felony convictions running around on the street's commiting all kind of horrindous crimes. What I believe in Georgia two felony convictions gives you like in prision without the chance of parole.

Last edited by waitingtundra; 04-11-2010 at 03:26 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 06:37 PM

245 posts, read 454,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
This simple minded person understands that N.O. is consistantly near the top in crime statistics . That apparently WOULD mean multiple acts of violence by different criminals . Spin it any way you like . The evening news tells a different story .
Appealing to the authority of crime stats doesn't support your prior assertion about relevance. The bottom line is that the specific details that were being discussed, and that you chimed in on, are relevant. Just because New Orleans has a high murder rate, it doesn't mean that the details of any specific incident are no longer relevant. It has nothing to do with spin, but everything to do with relevance.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:22 PM

62 posts, read 182,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
This is pretty funny . SEVEN people are shot at one location , and ya'll are arguing whether it's one shooting or seven . Only in New Orleans would that be relevant .

HELLO! And like it isn't "that bad" since they only got hurt and not killed. The rationalizations I hear about NOLA's murders are crazy. I really pray that the city does get better and that good people stick around to try to make it better. I just don't want to be the one caught in a crossfire while doing it!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettedaviseyes View Post
HELLO! And like it isn't "that bad" since they only got hurt and not killed. The rationalizations I hear about NOLA's murders are crazy. I really pray that the city does get better and that good people stick around to try to make it better. I just don't want to be the one caught in a crossfire while doing it!
Yes it's bad and no one is rationalizing anything. It's simple, New Orleans has criminals and those criminals kill each other. If you follow events in NOLA you should know this. You have a much better chance of being a victim of random violence in Los Angeles, Houston, or even Atlanta. I'm so sorry that you'd be a walking target here, but that would NOT be the case unless you put yourself in that situation. Either way, it seems as if your mind would have been made up before you ever got here.

Waitingtundra, you'd be surprised at what was walking around both Atlanta and Houston even BEFORE Katrina. Atlanta isn't that much bigger than NOLA, it just has beaucoup suburbs to make it appear that way. Those cities are just spread out and much more separated than NOLA making it easier to brush over crime issues as if they don't exist.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,854,638 times
Atlanta has around 10 million in the metro area, New orleans has 1, I75 going into Atlanta has 15 lanes going each way at one spot. It's real big, I worked on 3 or 4 office building when I was there being constructed that were 60+ floors, it's around the size of Houston, in fact I believe it's bigger, with miles and miles of gigantic office parks. Oh yea, they have there scary sides, in fact Atlanta liked to lost it after the rodney king trial I wuz there, but I'm telling ya the justice system in both Atlanta and Houston don't play around with felons like louisiana does, they can't afford to just because of the population size and people in these cities will not tolerate it. I am saying 2 serious incident's by my mom's house in the last month, one a attempted robbery by a group of teen as a man and his wife were coming home in there garage(the husband a big tough guy faught them off)and a incident of a home invasion where thankfuly the homeowner was able to kill the intruder as he and his partners were busting threw the front door with his own handgun tells me that crime in this city and area has a lot more to do with just being in the wrong area looking for dope.
IMO it's time to stop letting repeat felons walk off with lite sentances and start locking them up and throwing away the key and get the legal system fixed as it's not doing it's job. It's time to start putting more pressure on the criminals and not back down, this area is broke and needs some swift action to reverse this trend that is out of control, I don't know but what the national guard might need to be recalled, maybe Gov. jindal could step up.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 PM

I agree Tundra about the repeat offenders. That's exactly the situation we had the week before last. Atlanta has 5 mil in its metro, but only 500,000 of that 5 million actually live in Atlanta and they just got to 500,000. NOLA had 600,000 years ago if I'm not mistaken. We were at 480,000 in 2000 and that was a significant decrease.

As for as Louisiana I agree with almost everything you said in that last post, but expect very little from Jindal in anything.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 AM

194 posts, read 544,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
IMO it's time to stop letting repeat felons walk off with lite sentances and start locking them up and throwing away the key and get the legal system fixed as it's not doing it's job.
Absolutely! I think citizens need to follow these cases and make a big fuss EVERY TIME a judge lets a violent criminal off with a light sentence. The legal system must be held accountable. No more of this "oh, well, that's just how it is in New Orleans..." It doesn't HAVE to be. New Orleans IS it's citizens, and we can make all the difference. Phone calls, e-mails, letters, organized "protest" activites will all call these issues into the light and show the judges, lawyers, and police department that we won't put up with it anymore.

Also, you mentioned you had called Crimestoppers regarding an abandoned house. That's a great first step. Call them back again in a few days if nothing's been done yet and ask what their plan is. Keep calling politely (and call other agencies) until something IS done. Write letters, too.

The dog that barks loudest gets fed!! People just need to realize that each voice CAN make a huge difference, especially when we all work (and bark!) together.

Hope you all have a wonderful week!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:42 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,346,265 times
The carnage continues . Midday shootings leave three dead, four injured | New Orleans News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | wwltv.com | Crime News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans