Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,734 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to N.O. this May from the West Coast...
I have been ocd on research about NOLA, the good, the bad, the ugly...
I spent time in the Biloxi/N.O. about 15 years ago.

I am a 28 year old single female of bi-racial descent (b&w)..

My concerns:
Finding a relatively safe place to live within the city
Racial discrimination
Employment

I consider myself a pretty tough chick, definetely street smart..
I want to get into the film industry in N.O. as well as give
my fist and voice to some civil rights around there... what is going on!?
Oh.. did I mention.. I want to eat eat eat and dance dance dance!

I am looking to rent within the $500-$800 range (pet-friendly a must)

Do I have a deathwish or can I make this work?
Thanks for any help, advice, warnings, prayers, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:59 AM

4 posts, read 19,221 times
Default Some information

Deathwish? No. Maybe just crazy. :-)

New Orleans is undoubtedly not going to be like anyplace you've ever lived... which is both good and bad. There a lot of valid criticisms about the city, but it certainly is never boring, trust me.

1) As far as finding a safe neighborhood, uptown (in the vicinity of the universities and/or audubon park), and mid city near city park are probably your best bets. You will be able to find a one bedroom or a studio for $800 or less, with 700-800 being the most common price in your range. Lakeview is also a safe area, but it is still recovering from Katrina, and is kind of out of the way.

That being said, even in a relatively good neighborhood, you do need to be very cautious, especially if you find yourself off one of the main thoroughfares after dark. Robberies and burglaries happen even in neighborhoods that are generally considered to be safe.

2) I don't think you have to worry about racial discrimination. I would be lying if I said that there was no racial tension in NOLA, but I don't think that you would find yourself discriminated against. Even in the suburban parishes (which are known for racist attitudes), most people have a live and let live attitude and are quite friendly.

3) Employment in New Orleans really depends on what you're looking for. The film industry might give you an opportunity, but I don't know if you can count on it to provide steady employment. There is certanly not a shortage of service industry jobs.

If you want to eat and dance, I'd say that New Orleans is as good as any other city in the country, regardless of size. There are countless restaurants, bars, and clubs in the city (mostly uptown, mid-city, and downtown) for you to discover. Just talk to people and you'll find out where to go.

It sounds like you want to give N.O. a try, and I really encourage you to do so. It wont take very long for you to know if the city is right for you. But we need all the help we can get right now, and anyone who will try to contribute in any way is welcome.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:38 AM

26 posts, read 169,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meursault82 View Post

1) As far as finding a safe neighborhood, uptown (in the vicinity of the universities and/or audubon park), and mid city near city park are probably your best bets. You will be able to find a one bedroom or a studio for $800 or less, with 700-800 being the most common price in your range. Lakeview is also a safe area, but it is still recovering from Katrina, and is kind of out of the way.
Actually, it seems that the crime rates post-Katrina, particularly murder, have been higher Uptown than in say, Gentilly. I know our Councilwoman (Hedge-Morrell) has reported to our neighborhood association that she'd love to try to direct more city resources toward recovery efforts for our district, but that she can't realisticly ask to have money spent on streets, libraries, landscaping, etc., when her Uptown counterparts are so terrified of the crime in their districts that they want practically every dollar spent on crime control.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:06 PM

127 posts, read 500,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcvalentine View Post
I will be moving to N.O. this May from the West Coast...
I have been ocd on research about NOLA, the good, the bad, the ugly...
I spent time in the Biloxi/N.O. about 15 years ago.

I am a 28 year old single female of bi-racial descent (b&w)..

My concerns:
Finding a relatively safe place to live within the city
Racial discrimination
Employment

I consider myself a pretty tough chick, definetely street smart..
I want to get into the film industry in N.O. as well as give
my fist and voice to some civil rights around there... what is going on!?
Oh.. did I mention.. I want to eat eat eat and dance dance dance!

I am looking to rent within the $500-$800 range (pet-friendly a must)

Do I have a deathwish or can I make this work?
Thanks for any help, advice, warnings, prayers, etc...

Go for it. I have a friend that's a singer and does weekly shows, cabarets etc. in the ciy and loves it. I did some acting when I was there in my college days and my mom did some extra work most notably on RAY. I plan on getting my daughter involved once we return.

Being bi-racial won't be an issue. Half of New Orleans LOOKS biracial and they're not.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:54 PM

258 posts, read 1,020,657 times
No one really cares what color or sex you are here, it's a matter of you being cool.

I'm 27 and I moved here without anything.
Move uptown and you'll be fine till you learn the city and if you're more of a downtown person.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:27 AM

42 posts, read 206,412 times
Like everywhere else in the world, there are problems in NOLA. However, with common sense and a little homework (which you're already doing), you'll find its a great place to live. I moved down here from the northeast 8 years ago and have no intention of leaving anytime soon.

Good luck! And if you come here - welcome!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 13,175 times
There are studio apartments available in Metairie and Kenner. You can get one in the $500 to $700 price range. You'll need a car, however.
You shouldn't have any particular trouble there. Do be careful, however. That's anywhere you go.
There are opportunities to be an extra in films in New Orleans. Check it out.
It might be fun.
My son said a young person can make a lot of money working in a restaurant or like a Daiquiri Shop in the French Quarters. (some of his friends do this)
I don't know what type of job opportunities you were looking for.
We have a cousin's daughter who works for FEMA. In fact two of them do. One is here in New Orleans and the other one travels with FEMA. Both make very good pay and benefits.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:09 PM

37 posts, read 127,040 times
If dodging bullets sounds fun, then go ahead and move there. I, myself, will never return. And why not use a little of the "civil rights" energy to try and get people to stop killing each other there.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth777 View Post
If dodging bullets sounds fun, then go ahead and move there. I, myself, will never return.
I don't think you'll hear anyone complaining.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,543 times
I'm from NY and I've been in NOLA for almost 2 yrs.... took some getting used to but I love here. The summer heat is a killer though. I live in Kenner near the Esplanade mall and that area is pretty safe. Kenner has their own police and I think they do a pretty good job. Hardly anything happens in my area. I current work at a hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans