Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,831 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm probably going to be relocating to New Orleans to attend UNO. I would like to bring my pet chickens with me, and I can't seem to find any information about this on the internet(probably because I can't figure out where to look). Does anyone know if it is legal to keep pet chickens(up to 8 + 1 rooster) in the New Orleans area?... and which areas?

I would be looking for a house-with-a-small-backyard type residence, as the chickens (obviously) live outdoors. I guess this might depend on finding a landlord that is crazy enough to rent a place to someone who keeps pet chickens, but besides that, I just want to know if it's a violation of city ordinances or something.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:19 PM

167 posts, read 864,301 times
I just checked municode.com, which is the site NOLA uses to list their codes and ordinances. There is nothing on there that says you cannot have pet chickens. I would imagine that it would be the same as with any ohter pets. Keep the area clean and keep the noise level down, out of respect for your neighbors. I think it is great that cities allow this. Chickens make great pets, and eggs too. It might be tricky finding a landlord that will give you the thumbs up on this one. Most people think chickens are for farms. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:54 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times
I knew someone who kept hens, but no rooster because of the early morning noise associated. Your neighbors will probably have fits about the rooster.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:24 AM

42 posts, read 206,379 times
Believe it or not, there was a story in yesterdays Times-Picayune, in the Living Section, about keeping chickens in the city. Apparently its ok in Orleans Parish. You can check out the story online.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:53 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
Yeah, Mom got a hold of that story in the TP and now wants me, (not her), to house a couple of Rhode Island Reds for her so that she can have fresh eggs. Sigh the things we have to do for our mothers.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:30 PM

11 posts, read 48,045 times
I had a neighbor who had chickens and a rooster. It was so annoying in the morning. I couldn't complain though being because we'd stay up all hours of the night. Our 5 o'clock (off of work time) was around midnight/1am. I'm sure they said the same thing about the BBQ pit being lit up around 3am and people in the back yard...

Old 02-07-2009, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,762 times
Wink I live in Harahan, 10 mi. from N.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzogirl View Post
I just checked municode.com, which is the site NOLA uses to list their codes and ordinances. There is nothing on there that says you cannot have pet chickens. I would imagine that it would be the same as with any ohter pets. Keep the area clean and keep the noise level down, out of respect for your neighbors. I think it is great that cities allow this. Chickens make great pets, and eggs too. It might be tricky finding a landlord that will give you the thumbs up on this one. Most people think chickens are for farms. Good luck!
I have had up to 12 chickens, and one Rooster. Great eggs, only problem is the Rooster would jump the fence, and go to the park where children play. They do spur people, and would be a liability to you. You would get sued if your rooster hurt anyone.
We got rid of ours, and most of the chickens, they smelled and made a mess. The neighbors called the city on us, and they said they were legal to have, as long as we could contain them, and keep it clean. Now we have one, she has eggs, and of course w/out rooster will never be fertileized. Up-side is eggs. So, I reccommend only one hen. Maybe 2. They also fly, so be careful of them not getting hit in the street...
Mean kids will hurt them as well. Keep them well confined..
Good-Luck

Old 02-08-2009, 07:12 AM

Location: Virginia, just outside of DC, our crooks are just dressed better than yours.
84 posts, read 307,590 times
We were all marveling how my mother can call me while I'm 1200 miles from home on what must be the first or second ranking most unlucky trip I've ever taken to ask me if I would keep chickens for her and that place on Hayne Blvd. came up. Does anyone know if that yard near the Plantation Oaks wedding place still has a million chickens?

Old 02-08-2009, 05:03 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toupsee View Post
We were all marveling how my mother can call me while I'm 1200 miles from home on what must be the first or second ranking most unlucky trip I've ever taken to ask me if I would keep chickens for her and that place on Hayne Blvd. came up. Does anyone know if that yard near the Plantation Oaks wedding place still has a million chickens?
OOPS! My apologies to Toupsee, whose computer I borrowed and then didn't log out The above msg. was mine. Sorry hon, my bad, (apparently she hasn't noticed yet). That's the down fall of having your sister visit and borrow your stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: