U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-16-2009, 10:22 AM

26 posts, read 89,183 times

Advertisements

My dad always tooks my friends and I crawfishing when we were kids, but many of those spots (particularly in eastern New Orleans) have long since been developed, posted, or at least dried up. Anyone know of any spots to drop some nets? Spillway, West Bank...I'll drive a ways if there's a place to put a couple dozen nets with a chance at catching something. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 02:09 PM

127 posts, read 340,829 times
Sorry, I don't.
We used to catch crabs in Yscloskey.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 PM

126 posts, read 314,985 times
Towards Lafayette....there are areas in St. Charles Parish and St. John the Baptist Parish where you can crawfish. Don't care for crawfishing. I'm not fond of snakes.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 PM

176 posts, read 557,301 times
Anybody have any more ideas here?

Old 05-04-2009, 05:47 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,664,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddinhead View Post
My dad always tooks my friends and I crawfishing when we were kids, but many of those spots (particularly in eastern New Orleans) have long since been developed, posted, or at least dried up. Anyone know of any spots to drop some nets? Spillway, West Bank...I'll drive a ways if there's a place to put a couple dozen nets with a chance at catching something. Thanks.

If the river runs high this year and they open the Spillway you should do good there. We caught ten sacks last year after they opened it.

Also all of the swamp areas in the area will produce crawfish. Funny thing is I find that ditches on side of roadways do better then most swamp areas, go figure.

Now if someone can put me on the speckle trout in Lake Pontchartrain I would be a happy man.

busta

Old 05-05-2009, 06:36 AM

26 posts, read 89,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
If the river runs high this year and they open the Spillway you should do good there. We caught ten sacks last year after they opened it.

Also all of the swamp areas in the area will produce crawfish. Funny thing is I find that ditches on side of roadways do better then most swamp areas, go figure.

Now if someone can put me on the speckle trout in Lake Pontchartrain I would be a happy man.

busta
I've been so busy now I can't find the time to go drop a few nets...LOL.

I can't speak from first-hand knowledge, but I understand that they've been onto some large trout at the end of the channel at Seabrook. Not big in numbers, but larger than you'll usually run into elsewhere. You know how the Lake is that way. Live croakers if you can get them.

A friend who lives in Venetian Isles was catching 15-25 school trout a night in his "backyard" using nothing more than a white beetle up until two weeks ago, but now he says the canals are so full of baitfish that he can't interest the trout in anything he throws out.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:51 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,664,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddinhead View Post
I've been so busy now I can't find the time to go drop a few nets...LOL.

I can't speak from first-hand knowledge, but I understand that they've been onto some large trout at the end of the channel at Seabrook. Not big in numbers, but larger than you'll usually run into elsewhere. You know how the Lake is that way. Live croakers if you can get them.

A friend who lives in Venetian Isles was catching 15-25 school trout a night in his "backyard" using nothing more than a white beetle up until two weeks ago, but now he says the canals are so full of baitfish that he can't interest the trout in anything he throws out.

Thanks for the heads up on the specks, will have to give Seabrook a chance.

Had the day off yesterday and went to the spillway (it's flooding again) for some crawfish. Didn't catch one bug at all but caught nine nice blue crabs, go figure lol.

If the water stays in the spillway for several weeks the crawfishing will be good, just have to wait and see.

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans