Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 06:30 AM

5 posts, read 14,051 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Mandeville, LA, and need information about what school would be best for a 2nd grader with Asperger's (it's one of the autism spectrum disorders). He reads, writes (poorly), etc. but has serious issues with socialization. I understand the schools are wonderful there. Any feedback? We also have a middle school kid, so need a good place for him as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 6,980 times
Default Special Ed in Mandeville

Hi J - Did you move there already? What has your experience been with the Special Ed programs? We have a FASD 5th grade adopted son who has issues similiar to your child (and a normal 7th grader). We are considering moving to Mandeville from Chicago area and I would love to hear how your experience is going.

derbas4@att.net

Thanks. D

Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 AM

4 posts, read 29,097 times
I moved from Chicago to Mandeville almost 4 months ago, couldn't be happier. I don't know much about the schools, however I can guarantee this is the safest area out of the entire surrounding N.O. area. Very safe and family oriented town. I'm a 26 year old college student and I'm like the only one driving around at night after 10pm lol. DEFINITELY a quiet area. The only downfall is the northshore (Mandeville, Covington, etc) is a little bit overpriced in my opinion. I pay 750 for a small 2 BR apartment but in the end I still think its worth it when I can sit outside at night and not have to worry as if I was in New Orleans...

Old 11-10-2009, 11:59 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,162 times
We used to live in River Ridge on the South Shore. We have a daughter with special needs both physically and mentally. Unfortunately we found the services in Louisiana to be terrible! We moved to Colorado and couldn't be happier. I know this might not be what you were looking for, but I just wanted to give you my experience as a parent of a child with special needs. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2010, 03:04 PM

26 posts, read 91,858 times
STLNolawoj,

I lived in Chicago for a couple of years myself, and I'm looking into the North Shore too, particularly Mandeville. Could you characterize it some more? $750 sounds decent for a 2BR apartment, to be honest?

The lakefront and quietness are attractive. I'm 28, so it's encouraging to hear that someone younger than me is able to be happy there.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:36 PM

135 posts, read 412,550 times
$750 is cheap, isn't it? I've been looking at rentals in Mandeville for almost two months and haven't seen anything decent for that price. I walked-thru some townhomes in the $900 range that ended being "rough".
I am by-far no expert tho, as I did not look at apartment buildings. We're a young couple ourselves and we're hoping to find our niche over there. We found an older home in our price range and move next week. I was pleasantly surprised to see a good amount of shopping and restaurant choices. Things are a little more spread out but there was more options than I expected. I found a great gym, coffee shop and shopping by our house. We also found some trails to ride or walk on the weekends. As for a place we can go out and have a few drinks etc... haven't got that far yet. My husband would be happy with a friendly sports bar He is a New Orleans native and all his friends are over here so it'll be an adjustment for him. But I can't wait to be in Mandeville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans