U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,589 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to New Orleans in a couple of weeks to start a new job. I'm a girl, moving alone, and I'm very concerned about safety. I don't have kids to put into school, and I don't ever really go the doctor's, so shortages don't really worry me. What I am concerned about is finding an affordable place to live that I also will feel safe at night. I will be working in downtown, probably very long hours, so nearby would be good, if anyone knows anything about the area. I've never been there before. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 PM

16,388 posts, read 30,653,279 times
Drive out to Metairie, go on Elmeer Ave between Metairie Rd and I-10, and you will see some "for rent" signs. Individual landlords usually don't advertise in the paper. That's a safe area.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:55 PM

14,097 posts, read 14,213,343 times
There is no safe place in New Orleans. Not when it's the cops you have to watch out for.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 AM

42 posts, read 141,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiercadet View Post
I'm moving to New Orleans in a couple of weeks to start a new job. I'm a girl, moving alone, and I'm very concerned about safety. I don't have kids to put into school, and I don't ever really go the doctor's, so shortages don't really worry me. What I am concerned about is finding an affordable place to live that I also will feel safe at night. I will be working in downtown, probably very long hours, so nearby would be good, if anyone knows anything about the area. I've never been there before. Thanks!!!
Are you looking to buy or rent? Try 1201 Canal; they're brand new condos and I believe they also rent. Search condo/apartment listings in the Warehouse district, since that's closer to where you'll be. You can find lots of listings on nola.com or Craigslist.com

Who suggested to you that there's a shortage of doctors? Unless you need some super-specialized care for some rare disease, you'll find whomever you need here.

Don't listen to people who tell you that there's nowhere safe to live here. Its like anywhere else; if you use common sense you'll be fine. I moved here nine years ago from the Northeast and have never had a problem.

And, let me be the first to officially welcome you to New Orleans! You'll be arriving just in time for Jazz Fest!

Old 03-22-2009, 11:47 AM

126 posts, read 314,985 times
They have some safe places to live in the Central Business District....try Gravier Place Downtown and there are many nice places in the Warehouse District. You'll also find many many guys and girls living the exact same life as you. You'll make friends quick. And I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find when you get here that it's not hard at all to pick up the phone and make a doctor's appointment if you aren't feeling well. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:06 PM

258 posts, read 685,969 times
Look uptown between Magazine/St.Charles...always a safe bet.

Otherwise if you're going to be working downtown, stay away from the Northern part of the FQ near Rampart street. Look down by Decatur.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 PM

16 posts, read 50,129 times
Ha ha,
Sorry there is no where safe in New Orleans. I I'm next to the city in everywhere has shown up on the news for something bad! If you want more detail just go to New Orleans Police Department for crime maps.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakco View Post
Ha ha,
Sorry there is no where safe in New Orleans. I I'm next to the city in everywhere has shown up on the news for something bad! If you want more detail just go to New Orleans Police Department for crime maps.
It's safer than Baton Rouge. I wouldn't set foot in many areas of Baton Rouge. I'm more uncomfortable in Baton Rouge than in New Orleans. Seriously.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:37 AM

984 posts, read 1,207,502 times
And yet some of us actually have lived in the city all of our lives and NOTHING has happened to us, and we don't live in fear, haven't been mugged and have very good lives IN the actual CITY.
Amazing.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
And yet some of us actually have lived in the city all of our lives and NOTHING has happened to us, and we don't live in fear, haven't been mugged and have very good lives IN the actual CITY.
Amazing.
Exactly...I've lived here my entire life and have never been a crime victim. My grandmother has lived in the City for 81 years and has never been a victim. In fact I don't even have a single friend in this city that has ever been mugged, although I've read about muggings in the paper over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans