Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 PM
amb amb started this thread

36 posts, read 110,188 times

Advertisements

For a long weekend family trip? Any suggested areas to stay so that a car won't be needed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Children? Ages? what do you like to do? A lot of children, including my 5 and 3 y/o grandkids like the French Quarter - beignets, Jackson Sq, the river, the acquarium at the foot of Canal, taking the ferry across the river to see the Mardi Gras museum, then back. Need a car to get to City Park and the great Storyland. You can ride a streetcar from Canal St up to Audubon Zoo.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-26-2009 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 PM
amb amb started this thread

36 posts, read 110,188 times
Two adults, one fifteen year old boy. Probably mostly french quarter, since it will be our first visit and a short one at that.

Any swamp tour or plantation suggestions?

I'm looking at these hotels, any input would be appreciated.
Hotel Maison de ville
Place D'Armes
Hotel St. Marie

Thanks

Old 04-27-2009, 06:20 AM

26 posts, read 169,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
...Need a car to get to City Park and the great Storyland. You can ride a streetcar from Canal St up to Audubon Zoo.
You can also ride a streetcar the length of Canal St and then on Carrollton to the Beauregard Statue/Esplanade Av entrance to City Park.

A rental car shouldn't be necessary for a weekend visit if you're going to be staying at a hotel in the Quarter...or one in the CBD, for that matter. The hotel itself can certainly put you onto either a swamp or plantation tour. The most recent swamp tour I was actually on was "Cajun Encounters" tour of the Honey Island Swamp, which is adjacent to the Pearl River (dividing Louisiana and Mississippi). It was a wonderful "small group" (about 20) tour of a beautiful area, but I don't know what the impacts from Katrina were to that swamp as far as storm surge and such. Probably very little considering the abundant supply of fresh water from the Pearl. The Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge in eastern New Orleans, for example, is "leveed in" and doesn't have the fresh water supply other than rain, so the salty storm surge just sat there and eventually killed off so many of the trees that lived in a fresh water environment. They were doing swamp tours in the Refuge before the storm, but if they've resumed since I can't imagine they'll be the same without the tree canopy. Cajun Encounters also does plantation and city tours, I see, although I've never taken either.

As for the plantations...Oak Alley is always a favorite for visitors if only because they can stand and look down the actual alley of oak trees back to the plantation house and realize that they've seen that view before in movies, etc. I see from their website that Cajun Encounters (I sound like I'm an employee...LOL; I only keep mentioning them because it's the tour that I've taken) does an Oak Alley tour, but I've always done the "drive out there on our own schedule" touring of various plantation homes. This would be one where you wouldn't need the rental car, though.

http://www.cajunencounters.com/index.html (broken link)

Last edited by Puddinhead; 04-27-2009 at 06:43 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 AM

15 posts, read 55,451 times
You may also want to check the rental car prices. Unless your hotel offers a complimentary shuttle, it can be pretty expensive to grab a cab ($30-$40 each way). So if you want to venture out of the Quarter, then paying about the same for a rental car may be well worth it.
Also, the River Road plantations are a nice way to enjoy a day. Your kids may be bored. You'll definitely need a car for that. It's about a 40-50 minute drive form the Quarter.
And most of the hotels in the area are decent. Just watch your address for safety reasons.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:29 PM

9 posts, read 23,546 times
I stay near the quarter when I go (CBD) and never rent a car. You see more of the city dealing with the streetcars & cabs, and walking anyways. The downtown area is fairly compact and can be seen on foot fairly easily by an adult. I have no experience with the kids factor but as an adult it's not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans