Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:24 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times

Advertisements

Patrick, I'm going to mention Old Arabi as a place to consider. I will say that it is not hurricane/flood safe, (it's right next door to the lower 9), but my son, (who has cats), has been looking for places and has found something on a second floor, (which in that neighborhood is flood proof), for under $600. It has two bedrooms and off street parking. It's in a safe neighborhood that has a variety of older homes ranging from one or two from the 1850s, all the way to a smattering of homes built in the 1990's.

I will advise that Old Arabi is in St. Bernard Parish which was completely flooded after K. There is no hospital, (only a clinic), it's not pretty in parts, (Old Arabi is looking pretty good though), and while they say they are rebuilding the Wal-Mart, I'll only believe it when I see it.

I would suggest a quick trip down here to scope out the areas you are considering before you make a commitment. Uptown can be sketchy, a nice street can go down hill just one block down. The Esplanade Ridge and City Park areas are really nice. Gentilly is a good central location, but can be sketchy. If you are looking for areas that didn't flood you basically need to search parts of Uptown, the Quarter, Bywater and the Marigny, parts of Jefferson Parish and the North Shore. Check on nola.com, (the local paper), for classified ads in addition to Craig's list. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 41,124 times
Patrick,

Other than needing to spend a few more dollars than you wanted to for an apt, New Orleans seems to be a good match for you. New Orleans is a fun city with plenty to do and very interesting people and sites.

My concern is your interest in being employed with the Recovery School District. It sounds like your teaching experience would greatly benefit many students here in New Orleans and the RSD, but I'm not so sure that you would benefit from the RSD.

Two major issues:

1. RSD is trying to get it's act together, but it has not yet accomplished this. I would put $ down that if you choose to work for the RSD, then you will be completely blown away by the decisions that are made "for" children and teachers.

2. There is a lack of parental support in most public schools in Orleans Parish (unless you work at one of the few selective admission public schools). Getting parents to care and participate in their child's ongoing learning will be a very tough task. It involves changing cultural norms about the importance of education for the child's future success. In my experience, the majority of families at the school where I worked were in survival mode - These families were focused on surviving the present time instead of preparing for the future.

Two traits necessary for success in New Orleans as a public school teacher: Diplomacy and Flexibility

If you are up for these challenges, then I definitely think you are a good fit to work in the RSD within New Orleans. You may need to spend a little more on living expenses, but that is true if you choose to live within most cities around the country rather than within the suburbs. Spend a few extra dollars and come enjoy what New Orleans has to offer.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 PM

182 posts, read 369,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchoup504 View Post
Patrick,

Other than needing to spend a few more dollars than you wanted to for an apt, New Orleans seems to be a good match for you. New Orleans is a fun city with plenty to do and very interesting people and sites.

My concern is your interest in being employed with the Recovery School District. It sounds like your teaching experience would greatly benefit many students here in New Orleans and the RSD, but I'm not so sure that you would benefit from the RSD.

Two major issues:

1. RSD is trying to get it's act together, but it has not yet accomplished this. I would put $ down that if you choose to work for the RSD, then you will be completely blown away by the decisions that are made "for" children and teachers.

2. There is a lack of parental support in most public schools in Orleans Parish (unless you work at one of the few selective admission public schools). Getting parents to care and participate in their child's ongoing learning will be a very tough task. It involves changing cultural norms about the importance of education for the child's future success. In my experience, the majority of families at the school where I worked were in survival mode - These families were focused on surviving the present time instead of preparing for the future.

Two traits necessary for success in New Orleans as a public school teacher: Diplomacy and Flexibility

If you are up for these challenges, then I definitely think you are a good fit to work in the RSD within New Orleans. You may need to spend a little more on living expenses, but that is true if you choose to live within most cities around the country rather than within the suburbs. Spend a few extra dollars and come enjoy what New Orleans has to offer.
Thanks so much for the kind insights! There have been a couple of developments for me lately:

(1) I have a preliminary offer from a charter school in Nevada. I'm flying out this week to teach a sample lesson, and if all goes well -- no reason it shouldn't, I'm a confident teacher -- the job is mine. Nice location, good pay.

(2) I made my availability in the Teacher Candidate Pool known to all the NO RSD schools with relevant openings -- and none are pursuing me. On the other hand, the principal of the school in Nevada called me 15 minutes after I sent my application electronically. It's good to feel wanted!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 PM

22 posts, read 92,132 times
Default I feel ya

Patrick,

I too am trying to get a job with the RSD. At first, everything was going smoothly--I filled out the app, had a great phone interview, and got accepted into the pool of applicants, all in the span of a week. However, it's been about a week since then, and I've heard nothing. Like you, I have done everything I can to let the schools who need someone with my credentials know I am available but have heard nothing.

What else can I do?! I've already made plans to move to NO from Tennessee. I was in town this weekend and signed a lease on a great place Uptown. I did have an interview with a school in a nearby parish while in town. Perhaps that job will come through, and I can stop worrying about the RSD.

Good luck with the Nevada interview, btw. And yes it does feel good to be wanted!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juana_the_piranha View Post
Patrick,

I too am trying to get a job with the RSD. At first, everything was going smoothly--I filled out the app, had a great phone interview, and got accepted into the pool of applicants, all in the span of a week. However, it's been about a week since then, and I've heard nothing. Like you, I have done everything I can to let the schools who need someone with my credentials know I am available but have heard nothing.

What else can I do?! I've already made plans to move to NO from Tennessee. I was in town this weekend and signed a lease on a great place Uptown. I did have an interview with a school in a nearby parish while in town. Perhaps that job will come through, and I can stop worrying about the RSD.

Good luck with the Nevada interview, btw. And yes it does feel good to be wanted!
As you probably know, there's a NO RSD "Networking Day" coming up on July 22 (there was also one earlier this month). It's probably worth your while to go to that!

As far as I can tell, the hiring authorities at RSD schools are not good about acknowledging contact. Only one of five or six even emailed me back; none have called.

I hope the job you already interviewed for does come through; that would certainly simplify things!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:59 AM

6 posts, read 41,124 times
Quote:
Patrick,

RSD is not the only public school hiring group in New Orleans. Charter schools/groups are also public school options, and, it is my perception that the reputation of charter schools in New Orleans tend to be a little better than the reputation of the RSD. A few to try would be KIPP Teach at a KIPP school, Orleans Parish Pubic Schools New Orleans Public Schools | Our Job is Building For the Future, UNO Charter School Network :: Capital One–University of New Orleans Charter Network | Welcome to the UNO Charter Network :: and Algiers Charter Schools Algiers Charter Schools Association (ACSA) (http://www.algierscharterschools.org/acsa.htm - broken link).

Also, check out www.nolaparentsguide.org . Click on the New Orleans Parents Guide to Public Schools pdf on the left. If you see certain schools that you like in this guide, then it may be worth the effort to contact the school directly. Hope this helps.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 AM

Tchoup504--Thank you! I have already applied to a couple of those but not all. I will do so asap. I did not know about the parent's guide. That certainly helps!

Patrick--No I did not know about the networking day! How did you find out about this? I didn't see anything on the website and received no email about it either. What time is it? Where?

I feel so helpless right now...

Old 06-29-2009, 03:05 PM

44 posts, read 123,129 times
Juana--

I sent Patrick advice to go to nola.com and read Sunday's article in the Times Picayune about the RSD. The schools in NOLA are a mess. Even charter schools are not functioning at the same level as other state equivalents. Our 'discipline problems' are a euphemism for 'violent, criminal behavior' and many of our teachers are as scary as the students...

There is a strange subculture down here that is nearly impossible to push through---generational illiteracy is part of the trouble, but mostly it is a question of kids not knowing anything other than gang life, violent and deadly reprisal, indifference, and a broken justice system that keeps murder witnesses silent and terrified as offenders are back on the streets within months, looking to shoot 'rats'.

I've taught rough kids, but I've never seen the like, and in the 20 years I've lived here, it has only gotten worse. The literacy issue alone is mind blowing. And I love kids, but even love isn't enough sometimes. And I love New Orleans--it's a great city--great people---true caring--fabulous culture--but know what to expect if you teach in Orleans, especially in the RSD. I think they don't want real teachers in there--they don't want exposure.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:26 PM

Default angerdux

angerdux, thanks for the link.

I read the article. It's not encouraging in the least. *sigh*

If they are "surplusing" teachers from last year, it doesn't seem like someone new who is trying to get into the system really has a chance.

I guess I'll keep trolling the jobs section of nola.com. I'm someone who feels a burning desire to teach others, but I'm not opposed to taking a job outside of education if the opportunity for me to teach doesn't present itself soon.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Tchoup504--Thank you! I have already applied to a couple of those but not all. I will do so asap. I did not know about the parent's guide. That certainly helps!

Patrick--No I did not know about the networking day! How did you find out about this? I didn't see anything on the website and received no email about it either. What time is it? Where?

I feel so helpless right now...
I got this email at the start of June. I imagine they will send out a reminder about the July 22 event:

Congratulations again on being accepted into the teacher referral pool to be considered for a position in the Recovery School District . Your acceptance into this pool recognizes your achievements and your commitment to the children of New Orleans .

We want to invite you to participate in a networking event we are hosting next Monday, June 8 from 10AM - 2PM at Cohen High School ( 3520 Dryades Street , NOLA 70115 ).

RSD schools that are direct run and RSD charter schools have been invited to attend the event. The purpose of the event is for you to be able to meet as many school representatives as possible; therefore, it has been organized to facilitate 10 minute conversations between candidates and schools. School representatives will then schedule follow-up interviews to take place at their school-site with candidates who might meet their needs. Therefore, in order to maximize your participation in the networking event we recommend that you do the following:

1) Review the Resource Guide, which is attached to this message and includes guidance on how to update your resume and prepare for interviews with school leaders.

2) Bring plenty of copies of your updated resume that you can provide to school representatives that you speak with on Monday.

3) Bring a copy of student work and/or your teaching portfolio so that you can provide examples of the strengths you will provide to students.

4) Review the vacancy list at RSD Employment Opportunities. Please scroll to the middle of the page under the heading "Opportunities in RSD-NOLA for 2009-2010" to find the downloadable list and identify schools that you want to be sure to speak with at the event.

5) Knowing that you will only have about 10 minutes to speak with school representatives at the fair, come prepared to maximize those 10 minutes so that school representatives will request a follow up interview with you.

And, please mark your calendars for the networking event we are hosting on Wednesday, July 22 10AM - 2PM (location TBD).

If you have any questions about Monday's event, please contact us at teachrsdinfo@rsdla.net (http://us.mc308.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=teachrsdinfo@rsdla.net - broken link).

We look forward to seeing you Monday!

Human Resources Staff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans