Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 AM

218 posts, read 840,466 times

Advertisements

Being a big fan of the South (not the racist and stereotypical parts, but the REAL South), I've always thought I would love New Orleans. I always pictured it as a bigger and bolder Memphis (which I absolutely love, but, despite the username, do not live in), but with more character. After spending two days here, though, I do NOT see what is so great about this city. The downtown is so touristy I find it completely unbearable. After spending two hours in the French Quarter and/or on Bourbon Street, I can safely say I never want to return. For every neat shop or good restaurant, there are 20 worthless stores or tourists traps that prey on stupid visitors with money to waste. Decatur Street near Marigny is much the same.

Everywhere else is filled with awesome architecture and housing, but not much to do. Maybe I just haven't seen the right places, or maybe my expectations were too high, but it's just not at all what I expected. I just simply do not understand how this is a world class city. Don't get me wrong; I feel the same way any city which attracts very high numbers of tourists (NYC, etc.), but I feel even those cities have more to offer in the non-toursity areas.

Refrain from flaming away; I'm simply stating my opinion. I have one day left here, so please tell me what you do love about this city that could potentially change my mind before I leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 06:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
How old are you and what do you like to do?

I thought Beale St was a poor imitation of Bourbon St.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 AM

218 posts, read 840,466 times
I'm 21 and I like music, arts, architecture, history, etc. I admit I haven't taken the time to check out the wide wealth of history there is here. I've found all the music to be generic ripoffs of that "New Orleans sound." Also, Beale Street is certainly just as much of a tourist trap as Bourbon Street, but that's not part of what I like about Memphis. Basically, I just don't like the feel I've gotten from New Orleans. It seems like they've taken every characteristic of it and dumbed it down or made it a product for their tourism industry. I have had a hard time finding authenticity.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:24 AM

34 posts, read 76,670 times
Jump on the street car, get off in Carrolton and then walk through Oak Street, Maple Street and make your way back to Audobon Park.

Then, just walk all the way down Magazine Street.

They are all great commercial districts.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:41 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
Bourbon Street sucks, honestly...and everyone local to the city knows it.

Like traveler said, Magazine Street...Audobon Park/Zoo, Bayou St. John (have a poboy at Parkway Bakery and Tavern)

Downriver from the Quarter check out Frenchman Street for actual jazz music, not the schlock on Bourbon. Go to decatur Street, get a drink at Pravda...or Mollys on the Market.

Go to NOMA or check out the Historic New Orleans collection on Royal Street in the Quarter.

I'm not picking on Memphis but New Orleans has far far far more things to do than Memphis, and its far more walkable, and beautiful to boot.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:46 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Bourbon Street sucks, honestly...and everyone local to the city knows it.

Like traveler said, Magazine Street...Audobon Park/Zoo, Bayou St. John (have a poboy at Parkway Bakery and Tavern)

Downriver from the Quarter check out Frenchman Street for actual jazz music, not the schlock on Bourbon. Go to decatur Street, get a drink at Pravda...or Mollys on the Market.

Go to NOMA or check out the Historic New Orleans collection on Royal Street in the Quarter.

I'm not picking on Memphis but New Orleans has far far far more things to do than Memphis, and its far more walkable, and beautiful to boot.
I agree with everything Prytania said.
It seems as if you came to an unknown place with set expectations that were not met. Get out of the tourists areas and I'm sure you'll find something to change your mind.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
I don't know what you expected to find on Bourbon Street that would impress you, unless you were looking to get wasted.

You gotta go where the locals go!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
Bourbon St is not New Orleans, it's for all those suits and sport fans who have a short time there and want to get safely hammered without fear of exposure to any actual culture.
Get to Frenchmen St and keep an open mind. New Orleanians are incredibly friendly and curious, and around that part of Marigny it's pretty easy to strike up a conversation. Ask them where else they'd go, so you know for when you return. Which you'll have to do, b/c it doesn't sound like you've even scratched the surface of that wonderful, soul-filled, spirited place.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:41 PM

515 posts, read 716,715 times
Like we always used to say.."great place to live; wouldn't want to visit!"

Every so often the city used to run ad campaigns telling us to be nice to the tourists; they bring us money, yada, yada, yada. Most people simply wanted the hordes of rowdy tourists to stay out of our neighborhoods. We tend to become very not-nice when it's 3am and a noisy group of drunk frat boys from the Mid West is peeing and spewing on the front stoop.

About the only time we ever did go to Bourbon St was when we had company in from outta town, to go celebrate at one of the old line restaurants or Pat O'Briens and, of course, on Mardi Gras.

Those tacky tourists traps are there and staying in business because the tourists want them...we never patronized them.

You will find that even most of the people working in the Quarters are from somewhere else; very few locals actually work there.

BTW it's the Marigny as in the Faubourg Marigny.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:05 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
You will find that even most of the people working in the Quarters are from somewhere else; very few locals actually work there.

BTW it's the Marigny as in the Faubourg Marigny.
We met some musicians who do work (either as performers or in hospitality) on Bourbon, but enjoy playing on Frenchmen..it's not where they make $$$$ though.
Forgive me for the Marigny slipup, I'm just a dumb Australian, who happens to love NOLA.
At least I know it's I-10 and not the I-10. It takes forever to get used to the myriad of ways one language can be spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans