U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:24 AM

1,129 posts, read 3,312,288 times

Advertisements

I believe Dave has already covered this topic. I do have to give him points for toning it down a bit from last time. At this point I'm just flat out not going to feed such a troll post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave
I live in Lafayette and I only go to New Orleans if I absolutely have no other choice. My worst fear in New Orleans is the cops who are among the biggest criminals of the city. My wife and I stayed in New Orleans in July before Katrina. She'd never been there and always wanted to visit. Between the drunks, drug addicts, shootings, and mentally insane she also swore to never return. Our opinion of New Orleans was sealed when we were checking out of the hotel and the hotel staff said they'd never want to go to some country city like Lafayette where there's nothing to do. Wonder how many of them ended up in our "country city" after Katrina? Kiss my a$$ New Orleans, you and your team will never get a dime of my money.
Wasn't New Orleans Bad Before Katrina?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 970 times
Bwah ha ha ha ha ha! You take an insult of a city you live in that personal? That is hilarious. You must walk around mad all time

Old 10-23-2009, 03:11 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,183,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
the only other place where I encountered such an attitude was the south of France
... they don't like Lafayette in southern France?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 PM

14 posts, read 12,268 times
Jacq63 -- you walked through the streets of the quarter at 2 am...and you weren't knocked over the head and robbed??? Now THAT is a comment worth sharing.

Sailordave -- maybe that lady who made the comment to you was drawing from a "bad experience" she had while visiting Lafayette...have you thought of that? After 4 years, my vote is to get over it, move on with your life, man! One lady does not a city make!! If you hate a city based on one person's comment, then you probably didn't really like it in the first place.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:24 PM

3,035 posts, read 3,647,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy504 View Post
Jacq63 -- you walked through the streets of the quarter at 2 am...and you weren't knocked over the head and robbed??? Now THAT is a comment worth sharing.
Yeah, a few times actually. I wasn't alone, if that counts for anything. We also biked thru the quarter at 2, 3 and 4am. I think people need to stop with the scare tactics some, and just be alert as in any city. There is no freakin' way I'd walk anywhere in an Australian city at those hours though.
I dont know why I'm even posting but posting I am. I love, love LOVE that city, with all its faults and foibles.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:19 PM

Default "Scare tactics" not to be taken lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Yeah, a few times actually. I wasn't alone, if that counts for anything. We also biked thru the quarter at 2, 3 and 4am. I think people need to stop with the scare tactics some, and just be alert as in any city. There is no freakin' way I'd walk anywhere in an Australian city at those hours though.
I dont know why I'm even posting but posting I am. I love, love LOVE that city, with all its faults and foibles.
I was born and raised in New Orleans, and have also experienced living in other cities. It is not a scare tactic when people comment/warn on the high crime...it is a fact. The crime here is out of control. I can understand a tourist's perspective that this is a fun place to visit and as long as you're alert, you'll be okay. But I speak from the perspective of a long-time resident who see and hear about the crime every single day. The daily news and newspapers are flooded with reports. New Orleans was ranked #1 in crime and the city didn't come by that title lightly. It EARNED it. This is my home and I love it, too, and it will always have a special place in my heart, but I will not mislead people into thinking this is a city where you need to "just be as alert as in any city". It's great that you have had good experiences in your visits here and I hope you have similar experiences in your future visits.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:27 AM

3,035 posts, read 3,647,614 times
Thanks Randy..I wish I could say I understand where you're coming from, but as I'm not yet a resident, that's impossible. A visit to St Annas wall on Esplanade is a sobering reminder of the murder rate. But I also dont want people thinking it's a place where you stand a higher than normal chance of being caught in never ending random cross-fire. I do know people who've been robbed at gunpoint, and hearing it from the horses mouth does hit home. Then again, I was born and raised in the serial killer capital of Oz, and I've seen how it affects a city in a way that doesn't need to happen..e.g. a siege mentality.
I wonder if NOLA's troubles conversely are the reason people are so friendly. They wanna make sure you trust them, and they can trust you. Just a theory.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,884,248 times
I've been here all my life and I can only understand half of where Randy is coming from.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Default WestbankNOLA

Only half, really?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:05 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,884,248 times
I disagree with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy504 View Post
It is not a scare tactic when people comment/warn on the high crime...it is a fact.The daily news and newspapers are flooded with reports. I will not mislead people into thinking this is a city where you need to "just be as alert as in any city".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans