Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 7,279 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I might get a substantial scholarship at UNO. I'm female and mildly sheltered, so the prospect of a dangerous city concerns me. I've heard the area near the lake is relatively safe and good, and I would be living on campus.

Though I'm not looking to go out every single night, I would still like to have an experience of the city while I'm there. Could I get around safely on bike/walking at daytime?

I know there's a couple of other universities in the city- Tulane and Loyola, so at least it looks like there's a lot of students. In general, what's the quality of life in New Orleans for a college undergrad?

If I end up going, what advice would you give me?

Also- is NOLA still very gay-friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 06:21 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,234 times
1. New Orleans is gay friendly. However its not liberal like SF, but I'd call it a live and let live city.

2. I wouldn't live near UNO but that's my opinion...its very suburban out there and not as friendly to bikes or walking. I go to Tulane (evening school) and I live Uptown and haven't had a problem with crime.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:05 PM

104 posts, read 476,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
1. New Orleans is gay friendly. However its not liberal like SF, but I'd call it a live and let live city.

2. I wouldn't live near UNO but that's my opinion...its very suburban out there and not as friendly to bikes or walking. I go to Tulane (evening school) and I live Uptown and haven't had a problem with crime.
it's true that the lakefront area is more suburban, and uptown is nice, but not very convenient to UNO for someone talking about getting around on bike and foot.

so, back to the original question, you would be fine around the UNO area. it gets dicier as you head south and east. but you can head back west to the City Park area, and there's now a bike bath along bayou st. john.

as for quality of life for an undergrad, if living on campus is cheap enough (rent is higher than cheaper college towns, but no worse than other metro areas) the biggest problem might just be the distractions and the risk of the freshman 15--there's plenty to do and good food.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:16 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
I transferred as an undergrad to Tulane from a womens college in Boston after not even ever having visited the campus and after getting over a little homesickness and getting used to the heat and humidity, I loved the city and all the restaurants especially. I'd go out often with house mates or dorm mates to different places. This was way PRE Katrina in the late 70's. I lived in the Garden district on or near the Tulane Campus and during the day would walk or take the street car various places but would drive at night.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:25 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,404 times
Hon, my son and niece have been going to UNO for the past 4 years and have had no problems; you'll be fine. The Lakefront in that area is a good neighborhood. (Sigh, don't you miss the old house T?)

My boy rented a place near the school. He enjoyed being so close to school and there is shopping close by. The neighborhood isn't exactly something for movers and shakers or if you are wanting that old shotgun neighborhood. It was mostly built up in the 50s - 60s so a lot of retro loving people are seeking houses there now a days. Keep to biking on campus because you will most likely be uncomfortable dodging the traffic. There is always the bus if you need to travel and don't have a car. I hope you get that scholarship; it's always awesome when someone else foots the bill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: