U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:41 PM

77 posts, read 108,926 times
Default Columbia Parc @ The Bayou?

Has anyone seen the inside of their townhouses?

How's the management?

Is being close to the 610 a bad thing? Is the 610 a particularly busy highway?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,747,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryUrbanite View Post
Has anyone seen the inside of their townhouses?

How's the management?

Is being close to the 610 a bad thing? Is the 610 a particularly busy highway?

Columbia Parc is the old St. Benard Housing Project. It along with River Garden are the best looking Project conversions that I've seen yet, it just looks "suburban" to me and River Garden looks "fake". Since it will be mixed income, the biggest issue would be what original residents they let back in. It could be like River Garden where the residents are screened and most of the residents brought in from the St. Thomas were the better tenents. River Garden is kept up nicely and other than a lot of kids hanging around has relatively few problems. There is also the possibility that it could end up like the Calliope and Fischer redevelopments where you have nice new homes with destroyed lawns, box fans hanging out of the windows that aren't broken and obvious crime issues. If it was up to me I would take a wait and see approach to Columbia Parc.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:25 PM

16,279 posts, read 29,888,836 times
And yes, I-610 can be very busy at times.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 PM

Location: Wilmington, NC for now... By summer of 2011? Cobb County?
63 posts, read 138,091 times
I too am looking for info. The web site makes it sound like it will be the next great thing. Google Street View still shows the old projects. Are people living there yet? What are the other areas around it like? It's relatively close to UNO, how's that area?
Thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:32 PM

984 posts, read 1,184,102 times
What looks fake about River Garden? I hear architects criticize the place all the time...but the buildings look fine, although they are obviously modern buildings built using a traditional New Orleans vernacular.
I'd rather see that there than some hideous modernist development.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
What looks fake about River Garden? I hear architects criticize the place all the time...but the buildings look fine, although they are obviously modern buildings built using a traditional New Orleans vernacular.
I'd rather see that there than some hideous modernist development.
I'd take River Garden any day over some tacky development like on Tulane Ave. The one with the rainbow colors that you can see from I-10 behind the courthouse. I actually like the one with the Crystal Hot Sauce/Preserve sign on top.

Back to River Garden: It is obvious that River Garden was planned and didn't just happen. It looks like a suburban cookie cutter neighbor hood that was inspired by the Irish Channel. The houses are spaced, the landscape is off and the mid and high-rise buildings have open parking lots in the back. It has an Uptown meets Jefferson feel to it.
It is much better than what was there before, but it just doesn't look or feel "real". It would blend in much better Gentilly or lower Algiers than in the Irish Channel. The houses are nice though, and it's a place that I would stay. It just looks fake.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 PM

Location: Wilmington, NC for now... By summer of 2011? Cobb County?
63 posts, read 138,091 times
Saw on online review for River Garden and it wasn't very favorable. Reviewer said it looked like it was regressing back to projects. It's sad to see when these redevelopments are allowed to slide back to the way they were. These redevelopments usually look great with lots of details only available in $300k + houses. Then, two or three years after... Crapola.

The problem is two-fold: they always build the apartment/ rental units first to meet all the Fed/ State regs. By the time they build the homes no one wants to live there.

Solution: build homes for sale first, then slowly, in small increments, build rental units. Have STRICT rules and requirements for all tenants. Enforce all rules, overlook nothing. Unfortunately, the ones who break the rules are usually the 1st ones to lawyer up when disciplined for breaking the rules.

Here's hoping that Columbia Parc will be better.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 PM

I actually live not to far from River Garden and I can say that it is a far cry from the St. Thomas. Now, I'm not there 24/7 so I don't know how life is over there. I do pass through often on Annunciation.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,311 times
I visited Columbia Parc at the Bayou and the inside is top of the line. The townhome has hardwood flooring with granite counter tops in the kitchen, along with stainless steel appliances. There is also a stainless steel whirlpool washer and dryer included with the property. The upstairs have two full baths with a garden tub in the masters bathroom. The complex appears very quiet doing the daytime as well as at night. There are live in police officers on the property 24/7. I have had the pleasure in meeting with management and they were very nice and knowledgable about the future of the area. As far 610 I am not sure if it is as busy as many interstates that I have come across. And, just for the record I was informed that the developer of this property is Warren Buffet, and I do not think he has any intentions of letting this property turn into the St. Bernard Project. I like the complex and I am thinking about moving back to New Orleans after being gone for over 15 years and I have considered this complex.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 AM

8 posts, read 10,727 times
I have been looking at the website for Columbia Parc all day. I cannot find any prices. What is the price range there?? I still didn't see anything about the neighborhood there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans