Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:02 PM

655 posts, read 2,174,691 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone.

My name is Gerardo, and I'll be heading down to New Orleans in August for college at Tulane. Anyway, I'm a Hispanic from New York City - I'm Dominican and Cuban - and I wanted to find out a bit about the Hispanic presence in NOLA.

Coming from a city with such a huge Hispanic population, I do recognize that New Orleans is going to be a big shock for me, especially since I am close to my roots. However, I am willing to make the sacrifice.

I've been told that many Mexicans newly relocated to New Orleans, to help rebuild the city, and that side from that there is something of a noteworthy Hispanic population in nearby Kenner, and some in Metaire.

Are there Latino clubs around? What good Latino restaurants would you guys recommend?

Just gimme all you can, please. lol. I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 11:19 PM

177 posts, read 789,814 times
Gerardo,

There are many Hispanics in and around all parts of New Orleans. I saw a piece on the news that the Islano Soccer League had 4 teams before Katrina and now has something like 21 post-Katrina. I would suggest you go hang out around their games (in City Park) and talk to some of the people when you get here. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

I work with two guys who are married to Brazilians, my neighbor married a Honduran and some of my son's best friends families are from Central and South America.

You should be able to fit right in once you find the right places.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 27,977 times
I am not Hispanic but have many friends who are. There are many markets, restaurants, clubs, etc. at your disposal in the New Orleans/Metairie/Kenner area. Union Supermarket and several other markets on Williams Blvd in kenner serve hot food as well. As far as clubs go, off the top of my head there is Salvatore's, Copacabana and MiTierra. I do not believe you will have a hard time adjusting. If you are interested, I can ask some friends and get back to you with more detailed information.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:37 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,442,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Hey, everyone.

My name is Gerardo, and I'll be heading down to New Orleans in August for college at Tulane. Anyway, I'm a Hispanic from New York City - I'm Dominican and Cuban - and I wanted to find out a bit about the Hispanic presence in NOLA.

Coming from a city with such a huge Hispanic population, I do recognize that New Orleans is going to be a big shock for me, especially since I am close to my roots. However, I am willing to make the sacrifice.

I've been told that many Mexicans newly relocated to New Orleans, to help rebuild the city, and that side from that there is something of a noteworthy Hispanic population in nearby Kenner, and some in Metaire.

Are there Latino clubs around? What good Latino restaurants would you guys recommend?

Just gimme all you can, please. lol. I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much!
In additions to the Mexicans who've come looking for rebuilding work, there has been a Honduran community in the area for years. I think a fair number of them live in and around Kenner.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:42 AM

655 posts, read 2,174,691 times
Thanks a lot for the input, everyone!

Now, not to be nitpicky or anything, but I'm just curious here, so bare with me, haha. Basically, the Caribbean Hispanics (Dominican, Cuban, Puerto Rican) have their own culture, and so we kinda stick together. Can you guys tell me anything about the presence of those groups there? I've heard that there is a small Cuban population, and the same about a Dominican population.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:52 AM

923 posts, read 3,504,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Thanks a lot for the input, everyone!

Now, not to be nitpicky or anything, but I'm just curious here, so bare with me, haha. Basically, the Caribbean Hispanics (Dominican, Cuban, Puerto Rican) have their own culture, and so we kinda stick together. Can you guys tell me anything about the presence of those groups there? I've heard that there is a small Cuban population, and the same about a Dominican population.
The "Cuban" population dates from the 1960's...
Magazine St used to have some cuban clubs.
Sure you'll find more when you get to Tulane..."Go, Green Wave"...

Old 06-12-2007, 09:19 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,092,400 times
The Caribean Latin community is small. The trend is for the Central American and Mexican Hispanic populations to grow. I have a friend (Cuban from Hialeah, FL) who moved to Miami FROM NOLA about 5 years ago. Basically she had culture shock when moving to Miami...she said that in NO there were few Hispanics (compared to other large US cities)...so it will be a big change for you, but you will also grow closer to different Latin cultures while you are in NO. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 27,977 times
I don't believe you will have a problem meeting other Carribean Latinos when you get here. While they don't have as much presence as others, they are certainly not scarce. The Copacabana nightclub used to be Cuban owned, and may still be. Also, Union Supermarket in Kenner has a variety of Cuban/Dominican food. It will not be long before you meet people from Cuba and/or the Domican Republic.

Incidentally, I don't know how 'it' will be better for you if you stop thinking of yourself as Latino. Being American is great, but always be proud of your heritage. Identify and think of yourself the way that makes you happiest.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 15,407 times
Thumbs up Dominican in New Orleans!

Gerardo,
you will not find it a problem feeling welcomed upon your arrival. There has been a drastic increase of the "Caribeño" population after Katrina. Lots of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, also Cubans... to say the least, they've even formed their own baseballs teams and they go to "el play" every Sunday. lol
I, myself am Dominican--lived here for 15 years!

Good luck with Tulane!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 13,831 times
Default Moving to New Orleans soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klouchance View Post
I am not Hispanic but have many friends who are. There are many markets, restaurants, clubs, etc. at your disposal in the New Orleans/Metairie/Kenner area. Union Supermarket and several other markets on Williams Blvd in kenner serve hot food as well. As far as clubs go, off the top of my head there is Salvatore's, Copacabana and MiTierra. I do not believe you will have a hard time adjusting. If you are interested, I can ask some friends and get back to you with more detailed information.
Hola! I'm George from Puerto Rico and planning to move to New Orleans during the month of November 2007. Is it possible for you to inform me on the Latin Scene in New Orleans and the Puerto Rican community? I am also considering to live in the French Quarters or close to it. Is their resonable housing and apartments in that area? I would really apreciate your info on these matters. And one other thing, I am an American but I am also VERY proud of my Spanish heritage and my Puerto Rican nationality. Don't forget that we ALL come from different backgrounds but we ALL are citizens of A GREAT COUNTRY. Please feel free to call me at 787-676-9732 after 7:00 pm any day or send me an e-mail to melen01@hotmail.com thank's. George

Last edited by melen01; 08-20-2007 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans