U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:26 PM

48 posts, read 68,301 times
oh i didnt plan on drinking all on the street...but its convenient so you dont have to stay in a bar to finish your drink. i think we are mostly just excited to try all new sorts of foods. thats our priority...i drink like 5 drinks and im usually trashed lol. so im not a big drinker. im kinda excited that pyrate con is gonna be there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 04:38 PM

3,035 posts, read 3,440,947 times
We realized just how good the go-cup idea is once we left N.O. You're right, it's nice not having to either leave half your drink, or feel like you have to chug it. I think it's called 'civilization'.
edit: A lot of the go-cups make great souvenirs too.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:41 PM

im pretty excited to go. how far out are the plantations? would you recommend doing that tour? i wanna do some country side exploring. can you drive south in to all those bays that i see on a map? like that lead out to the gulf?

Old 01-30-2010, 04:52 PM

If you book the Honey Island Swamp Tour, you'll start to see some different countryside on the way to the boat. You'll also go through some areas badly affected by the storm as well. I'm not sure about some of the areas nearer the Gulf, we haven't explored there yet.

I can recommend a visit (and maybe an overnight stay) at the Myrtles Plantation.
The Myrtles Plantation We didn't see any ghostly ghosts, but certainly a few human ones. We got looked after really well there, wonderful breakfast, very friendly, polite and helpful staff.

The closest town, St Francisville, is a great little place; interesting stores and eateries, nice atmosphere. You'll be there during crawfish season, so you could make a detour via Breaux Bridge. You'll miss the Crawfish Festival, but I hear it's the place to go for the little critters. I'm assuming you like seafood.
Breaux Bridge, LA - Crawfish Capitol of the World

Only thing is, you'll need to extend your trip somewhat to take all this in. I think concentrate on NOLA for now, and put the other stuff on your 'to-do next visit' list. Just a suggestion.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:33 PM

1,129 posts, read 3,154,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpylemon View Post
im kinda excited that pyrate con is gonna be there...
Pyrate con! Try to make it over to the Pirate's Alley Cafe where the real pirates hang out, (Well actually they're reinactors who play Lafitte's pirates for the Battle of New Orleans, they're who fire the cannons and a nice bunch for being pirates and all. .)

Old 01-30-2010, 05:35 PM

yeah that should be fun....oh and is beads year round a go? hahah to pirates get down like that lol?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:07 PM

Beads kinda scream 'tourist!!' if you wear 'em outside Mardi Gras. Doesnt hurt to pick up a few for souvenirs though. By 'pick up' I mean either catching them (parades often happen outside M/G) or have a look in the souvenir stores, as opposed to picking them up off the ground.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:26 PM

anyone every been to the the old absinthe house?
The Old Absinthe House ~ Rue Bourbon

Old 01-30-2010, 08:54 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,956,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpylemon View Post
oh i didnt plan on drinking all on the street...but its convenient so you dont have to stay in a bar to finish your drink. i think we are mostly just excited to try all new sorts of foods. thats our priority...i drink like 5 drinks and im usually trashed lol. so im not a big drinker. im kinda excited that pyrate con is gonna be there...
Oh, I hear you, man. I'm a big foodie myself so wherever I travel I love sampling the best food in the area.

Here are some suggestions for that region, and stuff I loved, which can be found at various different shops, restaurants, etc.:

Beignets
Chicory coffee
Alligator sausage cheesecake
Fried oysters
Fried chicken
Stuffed catfish
Blackened tuna
Stuffed shrimp
Blackened redfish
Crawfish etouffee
Duck and andouille gumbo
Deep fried roast beef po'boy
Soft shell crab po'boy
Carpetbagger steak (Steak with a fried oyster inside and covered in bleu cheese sauce)
Country fried venison
Rabbit smothered in onions and spices
Shrimp po'boy
Crawfish po'boy
Raw oysters
Fried oyster po'boy
Bread pudding
Bananas foster
Pecan cobbler
Muffulettas
Cream nectar snowball with condensed milk
Coconut gelato
Slow roast duck po'boy
Crawfish bisque
The spumoni and espresso at Angelo brocato's
Turtle soup
Pecan waffles
Garlic crusted Texas redfish with bacon butter sauce
White chocolate bread pudding
Trout amandine
Cochon de lait po'boy
Rosemint iced tea
Red beans and rice
Pralines of all flavors - chocolate, coffee, rum, coconut, etc.
Barbecue shrimp
Oyster absinthe dome
Banana brown sugar tarts

Go to La Divina Gelateria for some of the best gelato ever, that surely rivals the gelato I had in Italy itself. They have great flavors - I had a grapefruit and campari, but they have green tea-white chocolate, honey sesame goat's milk, chocolate Aztec, pineapple-mint, etc.

Try the great gumbos: Seafood gumbo, gumbo with crawfish, and the best duck gumbo that ever touched my lips.

Plus all of the fabulous drinks! - Bourbon milk punch, Sazerac, the Gin Fizz, HURRICANES, mint julips, Pimm's Cup, a great selection of French wines, Louisiana rootbeer, and Louisiana beers - Abita Turbodog, Purple Haze, Amber, etc.

Ahh, I need to get back to New Orleans.............

Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 AM

67 posts, read 97,339 times
The best plantation tour is St. Joseph. Next to it are Felicity (not open to the public) and Oak Alley which is open to the public. I was out there yesterday. See www.ladayrides.com for pictures. We go somewhere every weekend and post pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans