Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:51 PM

26 posts, read 91,664 times

Advertisements

Cliquey? I hear that a lot too. Are you sure it's not just that you're shy?

On one hand I don't like to hear someone say it's hard to meet new people there, on the other hand, I'm totally not shy and so the remark doesn't really worry me. If I can't make friends in a place, then there aren't any people worth befriending. I'm fairly confident.

What's your age/sex? That sounds a little forward, but I'm only curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 05:30 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,459,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I just think its hard to meet new people here.
Its very cliquey (although people are nice and talkative).

Being a quiet, shy person doesn't mean I don't miss friends or don't want new friends.
This is probably the easiest place to make friends, but I will admit that the city has a social clique issue (predominately within the upper middle class to old money ranks). Other than that, most New Orleanians or either sociable or just mental. Being an outsider though it just depends on how you approach the city. Some come to the city opened minded and willing to learn just how the city operates (dysfunctionally if you ask me). They are the ones that gain an appreciation of and an attachment to the city. Those are the ones who are welcome and people love to be around. Then you have the ones that come with an already preconcieved notion of how much of a sewer the city is and trying to tell us what we should do to change it and how it can be better. Those are the ones that are run out or tossed in the river. My favorite quote "I've lived in Atlanta and NOLA is so unhumane compared to what we have here in Atlanta, I've heard some many stories of how New Orleans blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda.....". These people actually try to come here and tell us what's wrong with this city as if we don't know.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 02-19-2010 at 05:40 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 06:19 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,295,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Neil View Post
Cliquey? I hear that a lot too. Are you sure it's not just that you're shy?

On one hand I don't like to hear someone say it's hard to meet new people there, on the other hand, I'm totally not shy and so the remark doesn't really worry me. If I can't make friends in a place, then there aren't any people worth befriending. I'm fairly confident.

What's your age/sex? That sounds a little forward, but I'm only curious.
35/F single :P
It might have to do with being Uptown. And it may be that I'm not preppy enough and I certainly don't come from money (and I'm shy).
I'm one of those people who is very quiet...and I usually have 3-4 good friends that I'd do anything for...versus being a social butterfly

Old 02-19-2010, 06:32 PM

I understand. I wonder what your idea of a social butterfly is. I'm not the type to go out 3-4 times a week and that has dozens of friends. I have a handful of very close friends, and honestly, only a very few who I would say really truly understand me.

But all the same, I do love situations with new people, love going out to bars and parties when the chance comes up, and I am quite sociable in those cases. I find it easy to talk to most people (beautiful women sometimes make me a little nervous of course) because I like myself and see no reason for other people not to like me as well.

I don't know what your idea of "preppy" is either. One word descriptors sometimes just confuse me. Are you saying Uptown is full of preppies (whatever that means)?

Sorry, not trying to be contentious. I just have a lot of respect for the individuality of people (when they present it) and hold out hope that NO is still populated by individuals, people I could call unique. I figure it must be. I am one of the weirdest people I know, and from the half dozen visits I've taken to NO, I trust that I will get along fine and make enough friends.

As I'm getting older, though, I kinda just want a nice gal..... friends are a secondary concern. They have come and gone my entire life, really.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,327 times
Quote:
(Sorry for the silly thread title, I'm trying to get some diversity of opinion here and needed one that would attract attention.)

I'm thinking about moving to New Orleans.

I'm from north Alabama but I've done some traveling and lived elsewhere.

I'm 28 and have a BA in art. My interests are literally almost without end. I'm currently studying to be a pharmacy tech. I'm a pretty good cook and I love food, in a pinch I can work in a restaurant kitchen though I prefer not to any longer.

I love people and I'm very social, but I'm probably more discerning than average about my friends. I like to be around people who are as smart or moreso than myself. Not to be pompous but this isn't so easily found (especially in the South).

I have been to NOLA six or seven times but not since 2004 or so. I absolutely love it down there. I know it's "****ed up" in a dozen different senses of that phrase. I don't really know what to ask- I've heard people say "the city is dying." Is it?

I didn't come here to ask the same old questions you've all heard before- I assume that crime can be avoided if you have your wits about you and stay out the bad parts of town. I can deal with the heat and humidity. I'm not scared of another hurricane, though maybe I should be.

I'm just wondering how the city's doing, and want some thoughts from as many different people as I can. As I get older, being close to nature is more and more important to me, so I've decided I want to stay in the south rather than returning to Chicago, where I lived for a couple of years. But at the same time I need to feel confident that there are smart and creative people around me, and I'm hoping New Orleans isn't just full of idiot party people now.

I would elaborate but that will reduce the chances of people reading my post. I will add that I'm an atheist, and I hope that shouldn't matter much?

I'll also reiterate that I've been down there six times and I know I love the city. I'm just wondering how livable it is. I grew up not wanting for anything, I'll admit, but I have since learned how to live with less. I can adapt, in other words. If my intellect is stimulated and I'm eating well and have a few solid friends, I'm happy. Help me out! Should I move to NOLA?
Ola, Stephen.

I can not give you any practical advice, since I haven't lived in the Crescent city, but I am in a similar position, as my girl and I will be moving from Chicago to New Orleans in a few months.

I have visited the city a few times and I immediately fell in love with it the moment I first set foot there.
My girlfriend is equally smitten with New Orleans, and our original plan was to
move there when we could (semi)retire.
Considering the vicissitudes of life, we decided that this was a ridiculous plan and agreed to move down south this summer.

I replied to your post mainly because your description of yourself is uncannily reminiscent of my younger self.

I have been doing a lot of research on New Orleans and I see no good reason why you (or I) shouldn't move there.
You don't appear to be too much of a materialist and you like culture and non-conformity.(And you are wise enough to be a godless heretic)

I have traveled all over the United States and I am absolutely convinced that there isn't a city that even comes close to New Orleans.

Sure, there are many poor and asocial people in NOLA and, like in any big city, you will have to cop an attitude when walking in a less-than-perfect neighborhood and you have to keep your wits about you, but don't forget that New Orleans needs people like you.
The more non-violent and interesting people move there, the better the city will become.

Good luck,

Greets,

Bad Rabbit

Old 02-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Bad Rabbit,

Thanks for the encouragement. I realized there is some inherent contradiction between the sentiment of my original post and the latest ones I've made. Namely, I purported to be wary of the people of NOLA when really, I am not...... it is not even a big city, by my standards, but it's big enough that I see no reason to worry about making friends of an intellectual bent.

I find myself wondering if people from these forums have ever met up in the city. I have met plenty of people I knew from internet forums in my life and I personally don't stigmatize it. I think it's a resource and should be used, no?

Where in Chicago are you? I moved there after college and spent a year in Old Irving Park, and another several months in Logan Square before an ill fated excursion to the west coast (where I did, in fact, find fault with the general population). I don't belong on the west coast, I decided.

It's possible to overthink something, and I've done that about New Orleans. I've thought about it so much that it's become evident I absolutely have to give it a shot, and so I will. Maybe we should knock a few back, us secular heathens?

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2010, 08:02 PM

245 posts, read 454,348 times
Quote:
Maybe we should knock a few back, us secular heathens?

Good luck!
Did someone say secular heathens? It appears that my wife and I may be moving back this summer. If so, we'd be happy to attend any newly formed secularly heathenistic potluck pub crawl social clubs. ...or something like that.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,851,830 times
Some one posted that the drivers in New Orleans are horrible. The next few post were blasting the guy's post & everythang else in his post That he should make such a commit. That's New Orleans for ya, it's a great place to live with great people, but learn from this post. Crime is vary high, don't mention it, people get offended. If you have children know that in New Orleans your gona want consider private school. Homeowners insurance is high, real high, if you buy get flood insurance. And to answer the question of how people drive around here, expect to pay the highest car insurance rate in the united states. Come on down we have plenty room.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:30 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,295,710 times
I think NJ has somewhat higher rates for insurance (auto).

Just got in from The Dominion club night in the Quarter...at the Rubyfruit. A night with the alternative kids...now I feel much better.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:19 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,851,830 times
Yea I beleve I saw where Louisiana is 2nd behind New Jersey, though I'm not saying it's because of bad drivers as what half our former insurance commisioners are in the federal pen & half of jefferson parish gov't is now under a federal probe and had to resign along with the guy that ran louisiana citizens the state run homeowners insurance company, I'm just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans