Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:47 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,290,566 times

Advertisements

I don't even try to date here anymore. Its not enough to make me want to move (seriously...everywhere else is boring in comparison) but it is frustrating. The only college educated guys I run into are lawyers (and they think they are God's gift to mankind).

So seriously...27-40 college educated intellectuals?

-Prytania (who just graduated from Tulane, cumlaude)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:54 AM

117 posts, read 256,209 times
I'm 22. I think the dating scene is horrible after you are over the age of 18.

Females in New Orleans....

It's like if you don't catch them IMMEDIATELY after high school they are pregnant or already have a child. It gets annoying after a while. Sorry, but I didn't work hard to get educated and make a better life for myself so I could take care of SOMEONE ELSES KID.

The few women here who don't have children are just.... umm.... how do I put this..... STUPID & SHALLOW. And usually they don't want to be 'tied down' anyways.

And I'm a more conservative guy, i'm not looking for a girl with 305373507 tattoos and a mouth full of gold teeth. But, 99% of the time that's what I see. Even in college.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 AM

129 posts, read 360,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
I'm 22. I think the dating scene is horrible after you are over the age of 18.

Females in New Orleans....

It's like if you don't catch them IMMEDIATELY after high school they are pregnant or already have a child. It gets annoying after a while. Sorry, but I didn't work hard to get educated and make a better life for myself so I could take care of SOMEONE ELSES KID.
I think this is common throughout the south, not just New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post

And I'm a more conservative guy, i'm not looking for a girl with 305373507 tattoos and a mouth full of gold teeth. But, 99% of the time that's what I see. Even in college.
Not to sound racist, but there does seem to be a big shift in the amount of white girls dating black guys. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Kardashians and other ridiculous "celebrities" doing it? Let's face it, even if we don't want them to be, these are the women girls are looking up to and trying to emulate.
It would be different if the guys the young girls are going out with were upstanding citizens, but they usually don't look appear to be. It also seems they are gone once the girl has their baby, leaving a tough road ahead for a young white girl with a mixed race child.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 PM

9 posts, read 31,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMariah View Post
Ha!
Personally, I think dating everywhere is "bad". I'm coming from San Francisco where the single women far outnumber single straight men and Peter Pan complexes abound.

Thankfully, I'm not looking for love (not so sure about the other posters). I guess I'll just have to try my luck with the influx of tourists.

This might open a can of worms, but how do people react to interracial dating within NOLA city-limits?
I am from the SF bay area and I moved to New Orleans in early 2008. The first man I went out with was a man of another race. We had a great time and nobody batted an eye in mid city. But, that's mid city.

I now live in Algiers and see interracial couples all the time and I don't think many people think much of anything about it.

Though, if you travel farther out on the west bank, like to Avondale or Waggaman and other more rural communities, you might not get such a positive reaction.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:25 PM

5 posts, read 23,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyexpress74 View Post
Nooooooo not 5'3"
That was my complaint about Los Angeles men.

Arggh. Where did all the tall guys in this country go?
That comment surprises me.

I'm 6', lived in New Orleans and Washington D.C. area before moving to Los Angeles County (actually Manhattan Beach). When I moved to the Los Angeles area, it was the first time I remember feeling there were a lot of men taller than me - and that was even before I ran into a couple of L.A. Lakers in the bar of a restaurant.

My guess is there are plenty of sports bars in L.A. with enough tall dudes to make for happy hunting for gals for whom height is an issue.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:23 AM

268 posts, read 740,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
Let me be more specific, though. I don't think there are very many 30ish, single, child-free, goal-oriented women.
I agree with this in a lot of ways. I am 45, single, never been married, no kids, and
I have a decent career in a field that rewards very few with large salaries, no need for crypticity,
it's television. But while I hear a lot of women complain, "where are all the good men", many of us are
asking why do all the divorced women have kids?" You took a route that probably all of your
relatives advised against, married a functional idiot, had his babies and then decided that
married life wasn't for you. I understand the myth that a lot of women live by, 'you need
to get the hell out of your parent's house because they are old, stuffy idiots, and boy won't
the world be grand when I am able to live fast and loose." But then you do things that defy
esplanation. You immediately tie yourself down, in the era of the PILL no less!

OK, lest any woman on this board think me a misogynist, I am just reacting to the
frustration that all of the women my age are riddled with baggage and surrounded by the
consequesnces of bad decisions. Granted, by my age, this tends to be the case. And I know
all about the biological timepiece. But you look at me like a villain when I look at young women,
and you can't understand why I am not interested in putting your idiot husband's demon seed
through college.

OK, in all seriousness. You single NO women, PM or DM me and the next time I am in NO, we
can all get together for drinks and size up each other's suitability for whatever we deem
appropriate at the time. It'll be fun. Or come see me in Memphis.

I guess the point is that the battle of the sexes is being lost on both sides. And sadly, it
took me a minute or two to figure out that a Peter Pan complex was not the ability to fly.
I get it now. But I saved myself for you women, and it was easy. I never sat down and
thought hard about it and ever determined that marriage was in my best interest. Then time
passed. I just wish more women had taken the time to review all the advice they had
gotten and decided to wait until at LEAST their early 30's before making life-altering decisions.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
Not to sound racist, but there does seem to be a big shift in
the amount of white girls dating black guys. I It would be different if the guys the young girls
are going out with were upstanding citizens, but they usually don't look appear to be. It also
seems they are gone once the girl has their baby, leaving a tough road ahead for a young
white girl with a mixed race child.
I don't want to soudn racist either, but I know a lot of ladies of color, and they are none too
happy about this phenomenon either. So I will speak bluntly knowing that the sistas got my back
on this one. I also feel negatively about it. In a lot of cases, these men are part and parcel of
the lifestyle these young women are after, and there are of course the oft-repeated quest to find
the truth to the rumors. There was a story in the news less than a year ago about a St. Tammany
or Washington Parish Justice O' Peace refusing to marry an interracial couple. They eventually had his
job for it, but his excuse was the unfair stigma that would be visited on the innocent child, shunned by
both races.

OK, sistas, you can jump off now if you like.

They reacted as you would expect, outraged, but the man was speaking the truth right to their
faces and they wouldn't listen. Many blacks deeply resent the cafe au lait child and most whites
do as well. This is no position to put a child in. But mama and daddy got to have their thing.
I know that 98% of the mixed race individuals that might be here would disagree, and furthermore,
they would be right that it is none of my business. (Unless I am made to subsidize the child's
entire existence).

Last edited by BradfromNO; 07-06-2010 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-06-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcladrad View Post
How about a man just turning 70 and the singles situation? What is available, I will be moving to New Orleans in June of 2011.
You are good to go, cap. As soon as you get here, join ranks with the Cajun French Music Association.
They get together ALL the time to dance and have FUN. Happiness is a vibrant, older, coon-a$$ woman.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,372,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfromNO View Post
I guess the point is that the battle of the sexes is being lost on both sides. And sadly, it
took me a minute or two to figure out that a Peter Pan complex was not the ability to fly.
I get it now. But I saved myself for you women, and it was easy. I never sat down and
thought hard about it and ever determined that marriage was in my best interest. Then time
passed. I just wish more women had taken the time to review all the advice they had
gotten and decided to wait until at LEAST their early 30's before making life-altering decisions.
Brad, there's also the single woman's POV--in my case, the POV of a divorced woman without children who had the prescience of mind to get out of a bad marriage rather than trying to jerryrig it back together with a small, helpless human (with the same inevitable outcome). Apparently, my dating pool is now fairly restricted to the male counterparts of the women you just described in your post. Read: Men kvetching about spousal and child support who are forever hampered by their own ongoing obligations. No, most of these men are not primary conservators, but the song is very similar. If I were to get involved or marry any of these men, I would, like some women in my family, end up playing a distant third, fourth or fifth chair to the first wife and children who came before me. Oh, glee.

Gotta love the divorced guys who admit that there were problems in the marriage before the first child was born, but went for it anyway. Then went on to have a second and a third with the same woman. If someone can please explain how that's supposed to work, I'd love to hear the logic.

I'm not a financial opportunist; I support myself quite well and always have. I worked my a&& off at university (started at Loyola, BTW) with the intent to always be a joint contributor. But the thought that my lifestyle may never reach its full potential because the man I marry is straddled with ongoing debt is rather despiriting. I don't dislike children at all, but I have zero desire to pull weekend soccer mom duty for someone else's pre-made family, and I get the niggling suspicion that a lot of these guys are simply looking for a way to minimize their duties by putting a third caretaker into the picture. Call me unabashedly old-fashioned, but I expect my spouse to treat me as a first priority in any relationship or marriage, regardless.

As my mom would probably say, "Good luck with that."

Old 07-18-2010, 09:45 PM

307 posts, read 797,985 times
Here's a recent article...Best Cities for Singles

America's Best Cities for Singles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans