Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 7,959 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what your experiences have been. Did you have a hard time adjusting, finding work? I'm thinking of moving, and I want to know what to expect. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated. If you moved from NYC, I'd really like to hear from from you. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 04:25 PM

54 posts, read 303,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel73 View Post
I would like to know what your experiences have been. Did you have a hard time adjusting, finding work? I'm thinking of moving, and I want to know what to expect. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated. If you moved from NYC, I'd really like to hear from from you. Thanks.
I guess you'd "really like to hear from me"!

I moved here 9 months ago after living for four years in the Bronx. (I've also lived in Colorado and Washington State.)

I am a teacher; the job I have now I found through networking with friends I knew before I moved down here. I had the job lined up before moving out of NYC. Even without networking, I probably would have found a job because I had heard back about applications I put in to other districts. I just didn't pursue those options since I had a job lined up by the time they got back to me.

It is different for everyone; if you haven't come down to visit already, I strongly suggest doing so. I strongly prefer living here to NYC. You will be much better off here with a car, so that could be an issue for you if you don't have one and/or have a driver's license.

As for cost of living...I find in terms of straight numbers, my monthly outflow is almost identical to NYC. However, I'm in a much nicer apartment and I have a car of my own. My income is lower than in NYC, but I make it work. My electric bill is lower here than in NYC, even though I have central a/c here and I didn't up there.

As for adjusting, I don't feel it's been a big problem. I was fortunate to have friends here before I came down, so I've been able to ask them to explain things if necessary. That has been rare; and primarily food-related. One other example was I couldn't figure out how my car was getting so dirty lately. Turns out, it's not dirt. It's POLLEN! My car is covered in pollen! My other biggest issue has been finding my way around. My personal opinion is that on and off ramps to I-10 are counter-intuitive and poorly marked. I've taken more than a few "scenic routes" home.

I prefer the weather here (most of the time) to the weather in NYC. The winters are far more mild (and this was a "cold winter" based on what I've heard) than NYC. Summers are warmer and more humid, but I found NYC to be quite hot and sticky in the summer so it wasn't a huge issue. There's less walking outside here and more a/c so it was generally more tolerable.

I tried to cover most of it; any other questions just ask or send me a message.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
@Tigger81

This year and the second half of last year have been much colder then usual. If you notice, trees and grass actually died this winter and the pollen is a direct result. I walked outside last week and had to ask myself "Is this pollen on my car?" This is the first spring in a while that I've actually had allergy issues. Also, notice the dead palm trees and other tropical plants that are having to be cut down right now.

As far as I-10, if you look at map the ramps kind of make sense (or maybe that's because I'm a local). The highways in the city are basically set up for in <-> out traffic vs. local traffic. The ramps kind of force you into set traffic patterns (keeping flow in order) vs. being able to go where ever you want to go.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 PM

11 posts, read 31,692 times
Great post! I am moving to New Orleans in two weeks and I have spent the last seven years in New York. I have a job! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger81 View Post
I guess you'd "really like to hear from me"!

I moved here 9 months ago after living for four years in the Bronx. (I've also lived in Colorado and Washington State.)

I am a teacher; the job I have now I found through networking with friends I knew before I moved down here. I had the job lined up before moving out of NYC. Even without networking, I probably would have found a job because I had heard back about applications I put in to other districts. I just didn't pursue those options since I had a job lined up by the time they got back to me.

It is different for everyone; if you haven't come down to visit already, I strongly suggest doing so. I strongly prefer living here to NYC. You will be much better off here with a car, so that could be an issue for you if you don't have one and/or have a driver's license.

As for cost of living...I find in terms of straight numbers, my monthly outflow is almost identical to NYC. However, I'm in a much nicer apartment and I have a car of my own. My income is lower than in NYC, but I make it work. My electric bill is lower here than in NYC, even though I have central a/c here and I didn't up there.

As for adjusting, I don't feel it's been a big problem. I was fortunate to have friends here before I came down, so I've been able to ask them to explain things if necessary. That has been rare; and primarily food-related. One other example was I couldn't figure out how my car was getting so dirty lately. Turns out, it's not dirt. It's POLLEN! My car is covered in pollen! My other biggest issue has been finding my way around. My personal opinion is that on and off ramps to I-10 are counter-intuitive and poorly marked. I've taken more than a few "scenic routes" home.

I prefer the weather here (most of the time) to the weather in NYC. The winters are far more mild (and this was a "cold winter" based on what I've heard) than NYC. Summers are warmer and more humid, but I found NYC to be quite hot and sticky in the summer so it wasn't a huge issue. There's less walking outside here and more a/c so it was generally more tolerable.

I tried to cover most of it; any other questions just ask or send me a message.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 PM

42 posts, read 161,401 times
I moved to N.O. from NYC about 1-1/2 yrs ago. I'd grown up here so my (re)adjustment wasn't hard. Now having lived in both cities an equal amount I can say life in N.O. is better by virtue of the lower cost of living alone and the consequent reduction in stress. Furthermore, the great cultural assets that make this city an international treasure are readily accessible and very often free. For example (and to tantalize you ) the French Quarter Festival French Quarter Festivals Inc. - New Orleans, Louisiana is about to kick off while concerts in the heart of the Central Business District YLC Wednesday at the Square | New Orleans, LA actually make hump days fun. The reasons for enjoying life here are too numerous to list and too distinct to properly convey!

As for finding employment it's the same as everywhere: success depends on personal ability in both the professional and social arenas. If you're good at what you do and make friends easily then finding a job in N.O. will likely be easier than in NYC, especially given its and NY State's current economic situation. Having a keen (& evident) appreciation for N.O.'s history and culture is a tremendous plus. It's helpful to keep in mind that although New Orleans has long been a cosmopolitan port city, at its heart it's a small cloistered town. New Orleanians take pride in seeing their city and its particular ways well-regarded and will embrace and try to help a newcomer in need if s/he shows a sincere affinity for this place.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 PM

5 posts, read 7,959 times
Thank you for all the information. I'm hoping to move as soon as I can find a job in N.O. I don't know anyone in the city, but it's never stopped me from moving to any other city I've wanted to live in. I'm looking forward to a new adventure.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:21 AM

54 posts, read 303,927 times
Aiten, I find NOLA far less stressful than NYC in many, many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
@Tigger81

This year and the second half of last year have been much colder then usual. If you notice, trees and grass actually died this winter and the pollen is a direct result. I walked outside last week and had to ask myself "Is this pollen on my car?" This is the first spring in a while that I've actually had allergy issues. Also, notice the dead palm trees and other tropical plants that are having to be cut down right now.

As far as I-10, if you look at map the ramps kind of make sense (or maybe that's because I'm a local). The highways in the city are basically set up for in <-> out traffic vs. local traffic. The ramps kind of force you into set traffic patterns (keeping flow in order) vs. being able to go where ever you want to go.
Oh good, so I'm not the only one not recognizing the pollen! I am allergic to a ton of stuff, not just here. My allergies act up year round and right now they are in rare form. I'm waiting for the Pollen Assault to be over.

As for the ramps...they do make sense for the most part on a large scale looking at the city as a whole, and it makes sense to group the streets for on off ramps, but it's still a little strange to me on a street by street basis. Like if I'm trying to get on I-10 E from City Park Ave, I have to take a right but then make a U-turn under I-10, then drive on a 2 way street for a little while, then on a frontage road with only a curb between me and the main part of the interstate, then I pull away from I-10, past an exit to a couple other streets, THEN actually on to I-10.

If I drove on the Eastbank more often, I'd be more familiar with them and it'd be less of an issue. I live on the Westbank and don't really have a problem getting around over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans