U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 4,720 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent CS grad looking to relocate, been applying for jobs online with no luck. Anyone have some connections or advice to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:58 AM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
Yes- you need to do MORE than look online. Use your college's alumni network- anyone in your field working in NYC? Call them! Use your professors- any connections they can hook you up with? Have you tried personally calling companies you dropped your resume with online to follow up? Are you trying to move to the city from somewhere else? Email all your friends & family that you want to move and are looking for any connections in the city (friend's cousin's college roomate's husband may be in your field- you never know). Did you intern somewhere? Does your intern boss/ hr coordinator/ fellow interns have any leads for you?

Getting a job IS a job and you should spend 20-40 hours a week looking for one. At least 50% of that time should be on the phone or face to face (informal interview, informational interview, coffee meetings with other college alumni, etc).

This is how I got my dream job in NYC eight years ago (from Texas) when I graduated. It was also a recession then, not as bad as now, but still tons of companies were on hiring freezes too. I got a copy of my college and my sorority's alumni directory and emailed every single person working in my field in NYC. Most responded and passed on helpful info- hiring managers names and direct telephone numbers, internal job board postings. I called friends' parents who are executives in my field asking for any contacts they felt comfortable allowing me to name drop in NYC (ie, Mr XX suggested I get in touch with you regarding xx position in your NYC office). I got TONS of interviews (and eventually a job) from this method & the leads it took me to. I got ONE phonecall (from a somewhat shady recruiter) by sending in dozens of resumes on Monster, Hotjobs, etc websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or