U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:11 PM

166 posts, read 519,936 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating college next year and I would like to leave Middle Tennessee and move to New York City. I might move to Central Jersey where most of my relatives live and living in New York is in the back of my mind.

I know NYC is an expensive to live in. But I do think that a lot of people who move to NYC from what I've read and from what many cousins have said (many who work in NYC) want to live in this "Sex and the City" lifestyle where they are constantly clubbing, shopping at premiere stores and living well beyond their means.

If I were to move to New York and get an apartment anywhere in Manhattan, how much do you think I would need to make annually to live comfortably. I know the term comfortably varies by person. For me, I only go to clubs MAYBE 4 times in a year. I don't go to fancy restaurants too often. I just need a gym to exercise and a bar to get a drink every once in awhile. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 01:11 PM

128 posts, read 459,130 times
I used to live in NYC making around 50K a year and I thought I lived very comfortably. I went out to bars/lounges every now and then and went shopping here and there and ate out a little more often than I prolly shouldve but still had enough money for rent and bills.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 PM

11,688 posts, read 21,299,249 times
With a roomate, Manhattan is doable on about a $35-45k salary.

Living alone, $75-80k is the threshold to have a nice life- savings, travel, decent sized studio apartment in a good location.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:42 PM

93 posts, read 320,390 times
I'll elaborate on the above numbers that I assume those are if you don't also have significant other expenses - ie: College debt, car. The latter is probably less likely, since you don't need one in manhattan, but the former can be very significant. A 75k salary can leave a lot more in your bank account if you're not paying $500/$1000/etc each month in school bills. So for someone younger, make sure you build college expenses in so you're not surprised.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:55 PM

750 posts, read 2,133,155 times
80K in Manhattan and 60K in the outer boroughs for a single person to live a comfortable life assuming no debt (a small apt or nice sized share in a nice neighborhood, eat well, travel, shop, go out and save a little). If you can split the rent, you'll live even better. If not, another 20 - 30K would be ideal so that you can save. Really for a single person, 100K is the entry level for comfort with savings, 200K is very comfortable middle class and 500K plus is living the life.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:32 AM

166 posts, read 519,936 times
I have a car currently but considering it's age (12 years and counting) I would certainly get rid of it if I moved to New York. Luckily for me, almost all of my college tuition was paid through scholarships through my state's lottery (It gives $4,000 every school year to a student with at least a 3.0 GPA). So I would not be moving to New York with any debt.

One of the main reasons I also said I'd be living to live almost anywhere is because of what I've read and what I've seen from my visits is that New York City is a very safe area. I have looked up crime from each precinct in all the boroughs and with the exceptions of a few areas (East New York, certain parts of the South Bronx), most of the crime is fairly low. Even "hood" areas like Washington Heights, Harlem, and the Lower East Side are probably the average neighborhood in many city neighborhoods where I live or in Nashville, which I have frequented.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 20,523 times
I'm forty-one and I live in TriBeCa on 80k/yr (that's from very safe investments. Currently I'm non-employed). That's barely enough. Indeed, life would be much less stressful, if I had 100k (and it would be terrific if I had 200k). I rent a 575 sq ft studio for 2150, but my neighborhood is one of the two or three priciest in the city. I rarely dine out (once maybe twice a week). But I buy organic food at Whole Foods, which isn't cheap. I spend 180 a month to be a member of Equinox. I spend about 1k a year on shoes and and another 2k on clothing. Also, I spend about 450 a year on running shoes and about 20 dollars a week on protein powder. I just laid out 3k for furniture, but that's a once a decade investment.

I do not have enough money to travel and I do not have a car. I'm single, but I date rarely. Dating can easily cost over 200 dollars a week in Manhattan (being in a relationship is much cheaper). I'm a guy, so I pay. If I were younger, dates would be cheaper (and I'd still be living in Williamsburg). Also, travel would be cheaper, because I'd sleep on the beach. At my age, I want nice sheets.

I don't take cabs. Cabs can bankrupt you fast. 30 dollars a day easy, if you take two trips a day (that's almost 11k/year).

Old 03-03-2011, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 20,523 times
30 dollars a day easy. if you take two trips a day, that's almost 11k/year.

grammar fixed.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,652 times
As far having to make 4x the money to rent an apartment in new york city, i think that it only goes for nicer neighborhoods in Manhattan such as the village, and in downtown areas. I think that when you're talking about neighborhoods such as Harlem or Washington Heights, that rule relaxes a bit. I'm pretty sure there are many ppl living in those areas who dont make NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE to 4 or 5x the income to rent apartments there. Again, thats only what i think but i could be wrong. I'm looking to rent a studio or 1 bedroom apartment in washington heights. If anyone has any useful info on the salary requirements to live up there, it would greatly be appreciated. thanks!

Old 10-10-2011, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 8,652 times
I've seen a few listings in that area where to rent an apartment goes for $925, $950 and $1000 a month. Example, if i'm looking to spend $950 to rent an apartment in Washington Heights, how much would i have to make yearly? Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or