Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:58 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
NYC lost some its individuality with the influx of chain and big box stores. NYC was a hold out for a long time. It must have been the last city in the US to get a McDonalds. We had Wessons, but that was small fry (pun intended). Then we started to see the commercials and we learned to sing the jingles, but still no Big Macs in NY. Then Ronald McDonald invaded us. The invasion first landed in the outerboroughs and it created a great deal of excitement. There was a huge debate when they wanted to open a McDs in Manhattan a few years later. It took a while before other chains came to the city.

Macys was Macys. If you wanted to shop at Macys you went to the one and only one on 34th Street. If you wanted to go to Gimbels, you walked across the street. If you wanted to shop at Martins or A&S, you had to go to Brooklyn. There was no Macys in Los Angeles or Las Vegas.

Shopping malls were all over the US, but not here. It took a while before NYC got an indoor shopping mall. I remember when Kings Plaza opened and there was a big-to-do over it. Wow, the place even had a connecting indoor garage.

We went from no chain stores to a Starbucks on every corner in Manhattan.

I see the commercials for Sonic on TV, but there are not Sonics here . . . yet.
If you want Sonic, there a few of them in New Jersey. I went to one in Howell NJ last summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Yes, they are in NJ, but haven't crossed the river yet.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Seems like there's becoming a lot of corporate saturation, which does kill the uniqueness, but it depends what neighborhood you're in. In and around Times Square it's nothing but big corporate now, but the East Village for instance is still relatively "indy". (Starbucks and wireless phone stores aside...those are just a fact of modern life now)

Old 06-10-2010, 08:44 PM

118 posts, read 443,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Seems like there's becoming a lot of corporate saturation, which does kill the uniqueness, but it depends what neighborhood you're in. In and around Times Square it's nothing but big corporate now, but the East Village for instance is still relatively "indy". (Starbucks and wireless phone stores aside...those are just a fact of modern life now)
Exactly. Times Square has experienced "Disneyfication" but it is just one part of New York, so who really cares? Actually, I kind of like it that I have so many options. BTW I am a transplant from the Midwest. And I find it insulting that anyone would look down on me from being from there. I came from a town with a 18% unemployment rate and needed better opportunities. Anyone who doesn't understand or sympathize ought to get a clue and keep up with the news.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:04 PM

210 posts, read 173,102 times
1 change i dont like is the wave of chain/national retail stores.

i remember when it was basically all mom and pop stores everywhere. You knew the all the workers by name, they knew you. The service was much better. it was like 1 big family in the community. now if i go into rite aide, dunkin donuts, home depot, etc. i feel like im in an assembly line clinic lol.

this is less of an issue in the bronx, but when i go to other areas they're spreading pretty fast.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:14 PM

oh yeah, and about times square. i find it quite repulsive what its become, it is SO un-new yorkish. i never go down there unless im just passing through.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It happened years ago. It used to be that the only people who moved to New York were bankers, stage actors and media types. Now we have school teachers moving to the city. That was would have been unusual in the 80s.
you are spot on, and most of those you mentioned resided in lower manhattan, not the outer boros.

but now, you got trust fund crybabies from ohio moving into ghettos rofl

Old 06-11-2010, 06:18 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It happened years ago. It used to be that the only people who moved to New York were bankers, stage actors and media types. Now we have school teachers moving to the city. That was would have been unusual in the 80s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX-ALBO View Post
you are spot on, and most of those you mentioned resided in lower manhattan, not the outer boros.

but now, you got trust fund crybabies from ohio moving into ghettos rofl

Before, the teachers in NYC were home grown
To be a brand new teacher here today and live in a halfway decent neighborhood without some additional financial assistance is virtually impossible. This is one of the downsides of the new New York.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 AM

142 posts, read 418,730 times
I feel the same way about ATL. All the Northeners are moving there in droves.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:24 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
What's wrong with having big box stores? NYC is all about diversity and unlimted options..yet somehow we couldn't have a Target? Really? I want more options, not less....and the fact is I still have my local shops and I have other mainstream American options as well. There is room enough in this city for the Best Buy and the PC Richard...and there is room enough for the Pakistani immigrant and the cornfed Nebraskan....so not sure what people are complaining about?

If you want the city to remain in a time warp..then you should move to a place like Philly, Detroit, Camden...and lots of upstate/midwest cities. NYC ain't about that and never was..it is about change, influx of new people, and vitality...and adding mainstream options is a plus, not a minus. Having a Starbucks on every corner is unncessary, but it's better than not even having the option of Starbucks in the first place.

I want options, I want diversity, I love having the ability to have dinner at an immigrant owned Mexican restaurant, and then walking a few blocks down and buying a new plasma TV at Best Buy, and then stopping for dessert at Applebee's and having a few drinks at a Hipster bar, then hitting the salsa club, and then winding down the night with a white castle or popeyes! And the next day I can bike ride along the park, have delicious tapas outside on a pier/waterfront, buy some organic fruits and meats, hit the beach, and have a nice plate of rice and beans from a local place, and then chill on my stoops and talk with neighbors. That's NY...there is room for everyone and everything, and those that claim "this doesn't belong" or "they don't belong" are not NYers and should make their way to the suburbs where everyone else feels the same way as they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City