U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 02:38 PM

102 posts, read 314,354 times

Advertisements

I work in Melville, LI ( I love it out there) and live in Downtown bklyn (Clinton Hills). The drive in the morning is fine as its a reverse commute, the BQE moves pretty quick and the LIE is great. Its Driving home thats the problem. The LIE is usually fine but when I hit the BQE (which is only 2.7 miles of my route) the traffic is usually horrific. I have sat on the BQE for longer than it takes me to drive the 25 miles on the LIE!

Any suggestions on alternate routes? I hate the Northern State and Jackie Robinson Pkwy, so I dont want to go there. Any fast "back roads" say from the Woodhaven exit 19 on the LIE to Downtown Brooklyn? Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:11 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,794,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post
I work in Melville, LI ( I love it out there) and live in Downtown bklyn (Clinton Hills). The drive in the morning is fine as its a reverse commute, the BQE moves pretty quick and the LIE is great. Its Driving home thats the problem. The LIE is usually fine but when I hit the BQE (which is only 2.7 miles of my route) the traffic is usually horrific. I have sat on the BQE for longer than it takes me to drive the 25 miles on the LIE!

Any suggestions on alternate routes? I hate the Northern State and Jackie Robinson Pkwy, so I dont want to go there. Any fast "back roads" say from the Woodhaven exit 19 on the LIE to Downtown Brooklyn? Thanks for any info!
From Woodhaven Blvd, though you can take Queens Blvd a few blocks west, turn left on Grand Av, and then bear left onto Flushing Av. I'm not sure it's much faster than the BQE, since it's a lot of ground to cover through the city streets.

What I'd recommend is staying on the LIE past the BQE to Exit 16, then:

-Left on Greenpoint Av.

-There's a point where Greenpoint Av. is a Do Not Enter, you just have to turn right on Star St. and make the first left on Van Dam, which feeds back into Greenpoint Av at the small bridge crossing into Brooklyn.

-Left on McGuinness Blvd.

-Right on Driggs

-Left on Union Av.

That will bring you down to Flushing Av, a few blocks from Clinton Hill.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 AM

1,810 posts, read 6,199,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post

What I would suggest as an alternative route from the Woodhaven exit 19 off the LIE to Downtown Brooklyn would be to take Queens Blvd west bound-left on Greenpoint Ave,left on Franklin St which turns into Kent Ave-Flushing Ave which runs parallel to the BQE. From there take one of the streets or avenues going south.

The Greenpoint Ave bridge along with the Pulaski bridge is definitely the faster way to get into Brooklyn from Queens.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:02 PM

WOW, thanks! I am going to try your advice today. Sometimes I dont mind alot of street lights, it beats sitting in one spot for 45 mins!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:22 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,794,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
What I would suggest as an alternative route from the Woodhaven exit 19 off the LIE to Downtown Brooklyn would be to take Queens Blvd west bound-left on Greenpoint Ave,left on Franklin St which turns into Kent Ave-Flushing Ave which runs parallel to the BQE. From there take one of the streets or avenues going south..
They've made part of Kent one-way, heading only north toward Queens. To come back from Queens in the evening, you'd have to take Wythe, which is one block over. I think Union Av is more direct though.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:43 PM

5,327 posts, read 12,335,901 times
If the problem is that part of the LIE/BQE junction where you go under the LIE a while before you merge, I have often stayed on the LIE to the next exit and hung 2 lefts to enter the Beek from the opposite direction.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:44 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,199,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
They've made part of Kent one-way, heading only north toward Queens. To come back from Queens in the evening, you'd have to take Wythe, which is one block over. I think Union Av is more direct though.
It's been awhile since I have driven around there,yes Union Ave is more direct but a lot more traffic up until around Flushing Ave.

Actually the LIE going west bound in the pm isn't the problem,it's the BQE. So she can stay on the LIE and get off on the Greenpoint Ave exit and from there go over the bridge into Brooklyn.

There is a shortage of alternate roads going north/south from Queens/Brooklyn along the western part.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 PM

242 posts, read 1,000,451 times
I usually go the Flushing Ave route as well.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
If the problem is that part of the LIE/BQE junction where you go under the LIE a while before you merge, I have often stayed on the LIE to the next exit and hung 2 lefts to enter the Beek from the opposite direction.
Good idea! thanks. I have tried the alternate route provided by other posters and it worked out really well. I will try your idea as well.

Thanks again all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City