Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:22 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Not all of those deaths on Queens Blvd were the drivers fault. There are a lot of careless/reckless pedestrians, joggers and cyclists out there.

Yeah thats for sure. here in Brooklyn people do not look both ways, they see the white man lit up and they cross, never to look to see if maybe a car might think they can make the turn???
It really baffles me, I look, I do not care if the sign says walk, not every motorost is careful.
Love the Mommas with the baby cariages talking on the cell, and not looking, yeah real smart. or anyone talking of the cell, never looks.....

people really need to start waking up, phone calls are not as important as your life.... this concept is really not that hard !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 03:09 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Yeah thats for sure. here in Brooklyn people do not look both ways, they see the white man lit up and they cross, never to look to see if maybe a car might think they can make the turn???
It really baffles me, I look, I do not care if the sign says walk, not every motorost is careful.
Love the Mommas with the baby cariages talking on the cell, and not looking, yeah real smart. or anyone talking of the cell, never looks.....

people really need to start waking up, phone calls are not as important as your life.... this concept is really not that hard !!
Amen to that man! Everyone says that the cars are the ones to blame. But it's the pedestrians that do most of the bad behavior to cause the damage to begin with, whether it's talking on cell phones or taking their sweet time to cross a street on purpose to anger drivers. And I love how you mention those infamous stroller moms. They're the biggest offenders to crossing streets with what you mentioned, yet they're the first to complain about speeding and traffic.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Sorry guys, but if a pedestrian is in a crosswalk with a walk signal (or even a blinking don't walk signal) the pedestrian has the right-of-way! If a car hits a pedestrian in a crosswalk, it is ALWAYS the driver's fault. It doesn't matter how many baby carriages the pedestrian is pushing or how many cell phones they are talking on or how slowly they walk.

It's frustrating for drivers, surely, but that does not give drivers the right to mow anyone down, or even to act aggressively towards them as they are crossing the street with the walk light.

There was a very dangerous intersection I used to have to cross quite frequently where the drivers were coming up an avenue and turning left on a one-way street that had many lanes. The drivers were extremely aggressive and they would honk and swear and speed up and act like the pedestrians did not have a right to cross -- and this is when the pedestrians had a white cross light! So uncool. A friend of a friend was killed at that intersection and I'm sure he wasn't the first or the last.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:55 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You might start by arranging a meeting with all of the families,loved ones and survivors of all the people mowed down on "The Boulevard of Death" by cars speeding along through the formerly coordinated traffic lights.
'Boulevard of death' claims another life | 7online.com

It's probably some kind of traffic calming to actually make people slow down and save lives.
But it actually encourages people to drive dangerously, because often by running one light you make the rest.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:58 AM

876 posts, read 2,141,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Maybe not all, but let's not get too cozy with drivers in this town! I was riding my bicycle on Queens Boulevard--that is to say, the service road alongside Queens Boulevard--one day, and I got hit by some woman driving a car who didn't see me. I was directly in front of her, but she couldn't be bothered to see me. (Then, of course, she jumped out of the car and started apologizing. She'll never know how lucky she was that I didn't slug her!)
She wasnt lucky that you didnt slug her. She was lucky you didnt pull out a cell phone and call the cops and sue her. I rather get hit anytime of day then sued.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:01 AM

876 posts, read 2,141,974 times
It isnt the people walking in the street or the normal cars that are to blame. The livery cab drivers are the ones who drive like morons. They are the ones to blame. I would like to know how many of those accidents were livery cab drivers.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Sorry guys, but if a pedestrian is in a crosswalk with a walk signal (or even a blinking don't walk signal) the pedestrian has the right-of-way! If a car hits a pedestrian in a crosswalk, it is ALWAYS the driver's fault.
I will enthusiastically second this...because I got hit by a car right in front of my building. I had the light in my favor; the idiot behind the wheel evidently didn't see the need to remain where he was. (If it was a he; could easily have been a she). I can tell you that whoever or whatever was behind the wheel of that car, they sure as hell didn't make any effort to slow down or swerve out of the way. It was almost as though I had a target strapped to my back.

Strange how people infected by the car culture virus will never hesitate to complain about pedestrians. Who actually has the right of way isn't a big concern to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City