U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 PM
 
2 posts, read 6,844 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving from overseas to New York for 6 months, and am considering staying in an apartment on 110 street, Madison Avenue. I have been to New York before, but haven't travelled to this area. Would you consider a safe place for a 23 year-old girl to live?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2010, 06:03 PM
DAS
 
2,530 posts, read 5,824,659 times
Reputation: 1086
No, find a safer area. It maybe alright for a seasoned NYer but not for someone not used to a very urban environment.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 08:36 PM
 
544 posts, read 1,453,036 times
Reputation: 148
I definitely co-sign the response above.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC & New York
10,750 posts, read 25,531,740 times
Reputation: 6676
Not recommended, I agree. It's a very complex neighborhood, with some blocks, okay, and others not so much. One needs to know the terrain before committing to live in the neighborhood, and I agree that since you're new to the city, it's not the best choice.
__________________
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.
~William Shakespeare
(As You Like It Act II, Scene VII)

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 11:36 AM
 
5 posts, read 23,307 times
Reputation: 12
I would recommend caution but wouldn't immediately suggest you look outside of that area ... that intersection is very close to the park and really isn't THAT far north. The police presence there is pretty high which seems to improve safety. The neighborhood gets absolutely dead (quiet as well) after about midnight during the week and 1-2 AM on Fri and Sat. There are a few medium sized projects in the area but a lot of the housing there has been renovated and converted to "luxury" rentals that are popular with young people, especially whites. Obviously you should be careful and should take a walk around the neighborhood during the day to see how you feel before you commit to anything though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 07:14 PM
DAS
 
2,530 posts, read 5,824,659 times
Reputation: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringger View Post
I would recommend caution but wouldn't immediately suggest you look outside of that area ... that intersection is very close to the park and really isn't THAT far north. The police presence there is pretty high which seems to improve safety. The neighborhood gets absolutely dead (quiet as well) after about midnight during the week and 1-2 AM on Fri and Sat. There are a few medium sized projects in the area but a lot of the housing there has been renovated and converted to "luxury" rentals that are popular with young people, especially whites. Obviously you should be careful and should take a walk around the neighborhood during the day to see how you feel before you commit to anything though.
Ha ha ha, are you the person that is trying to rent her the apt? What does not being THAT far north, have to do with anything concerning safety across the street from those projects, an area where there have been recent shoot outs. It is dead quiet at certains times because anyone that is on the right side of the law, and knows the area wouldn't come out after those times. She would have to visit on weekend evenings to see if she is comfortable, not the day time, when the decent people are out and about.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 11:52 AM
 
5 posts, read 23,307 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Ha ha ha, are you the person that is trying to rent her the apt? What does not being THAT far north, have to do with anything concerning safety across the street from those projects, an area where there have been recent shoot outs. It is dead quiet at certains times because anyone that is on the right side of the law, and knows the area wouldn't come out after those times. She would have to visit on weekend evenings to see if she is comfortable, not the day time, when the decent people are out and about.
I don't know of any shootouts in the area for at least the past two or three years. The most recent I recall occurred on fifth back in '07, not on madison.

By not being THAT far north I mean that since that area is still adjacent to central park there are a lot of stores and services that are available, unlike other parts of harlem where you have to walk 10-15+ blocks to find a grocery store.

It's dead quiet at night because it's entirely residential and most of the people are part of families that are interested in having a nice neighborhood, there is even a community garden on that block.

I realize there's a certain constituency that jumps to prejudge a block or intersection based purely on it's location or the ethnicity of the people living there but I think most reasonable people would agree that particular location is not scary in the least.

That doesn't mean I'd park an expensive car there, though.

edit: also I don't know exactly which projects you're talking about ... there's a senior center nearby though? maybe you're the type that's even fearful of 90 year old black women shouting at cars?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 01:14 PM
DAS
 
2,530 posts, read 5,824,659 times
Reputation: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringger View Post
I don't know of any shootouts in the area for at least the past two or three years. The most recent I recall occurred on fifth back in '07, not on madison.

By not being THAT far north I mean that since that area is still adjacent to central park there are a lot of stores and services that are available, unlike other parts of harlem where you have to walk 10-15+ blocks to find a grocery store.

It's dead quiet at night because it's entirely residential and most of the people are part of families that are interested in having a nice neighborhood, there is even a community garden on that block.

I realize there's a certain constituency that jumps to prejudge a block or intersection based purely on it's location or the ethnicity of the people living there but I think most reasonable people would agree that particular location is not scary in the least.

That doesn't mean I'd park an expensive car there, though.

edit: also I don't know exactly which projects you're talking about ... there's a senior center nearby though? maybe you're the type that's even fearful of 90 year old black women shouting at cars?
Those projects have been there almost forever, and they are right there on Madison, so just the fact that you can't see them tells me something, and since you can't see them, you obviously can't see anything else that goes on around there.

I still stand by my post, because I never post unless I'm certain of what I'm posting about.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 09:00 PM
 
5 posts, read 23,307 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Those projects have been there almost forever, and they are right there on Madison, so just the fact that you can't see them tells me something, and since you can't see them, you obviously can't see anything else that goes on around there.

I still stand by my post, because I never post unless I'm certain of what I'm posting about.
Would you mind posting a link to an article about recent shootouts near the intersection then? I'd be interested in checking out what actually goes on around there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Sunset Park, Brooklyn
423 posts, read 1,102,538 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringger View Post
Would you mind posting a link to an article about recent shootouts near the intersection then? I'd be interested in checking out what actually goes on around there.
Just check the Gothamist newsmap and you'll see shootings in East Harlem fairly often. Not all are reported on the news.

Actually to prove my point there was a shooting today at 3:18 am on 108th and 3rd avenue
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top