U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 PM

12 posts, read 19,723 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I'm only in my second year of college this coming semester, but I'm planning on moving to New York as soon as I can afterwards, barring anything unexpected. I was just wondering if you could point me to any areas you might think would be a good fit. I love being out and about in the city, but when I say that, I mean just walking around enjoying the area, not necessarily clubbing, in fact, I could do without clubbing entirely without any problem. I'm looking at my starting salary *probably* being around 55,000 annually, which if I've looked at everything right, should mean I'm looking at between a $1000 and $1500 rent. I'm just really looking for a young, nice crowd and a safe area. I'd love to live in Manhattan, that would be my dream, but I don't think that's feasible on my salary. Near the subway would be great. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 01:00 PM

11,688 posts, read 21,293,643 times
You can definitely do Manhattan on your salary WITH a roomate. Without one, you're probably looking at outer boroughs or waaay upper Manhattan.

For now, focus on your grades, networking with alumni from your school who live and work in NYC, and getting the best internship you can. Getting a job in NYC is the hard part and where you should focus your energy. Figuring out where to live and play is the easy part.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:09 PM

I am fine with getting a roommate, so that's great news! Thanks for the encouragement! When you say 'best internship', what exactly do you mean? What differentiates one internship from another in terms of worth?

Old 06-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Best internship = name brand company, preferably in their NYC offices if you want to work their post-graduation.

Finance- Bank of America, Goldman (maybe not anymore?), Citigroup
Retail- Bloomingdale's, Macy's, Saks Fifth Avenue
Whatever your major, research the elite internships in your field and aggressively pursue them. Most entry level jobs are awarded to candidates who successfully completed a post-junior year internship with the company. Very few slots are open for grabs come the senior year interview cycle.

NYC is where the best & brightest come to play and compete. You have to show your worthy, and many of the NYC companies/ offices don't recruit from Texas schools (I know- I came to NYC from Texas after graduation), so you have to work extra hard- harder than someone with your same GPA from Boston University/ Princeton/ NYC- schools where NYC firms recruit.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Ah, ok. Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 PM

51 posts, read 135,348 times
You can get a nice but small studio on the UES for about 1500.. My landlord has quite a few for rent, they are small but clean and in quiet, pretty safe area in the 70's... (also includes utilities)

Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 PM

What's the social atmosphere like on the UES?

Old 06-15-2010, 06:48 PM

51 posts, read 135,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXfan1991 View Post
What's the social atmosphere like on the UES?

Very safe and kinda quiet (single mom here so that is what I like lol). The few times I have been out late at night, 1st and 2ave seems to be busy with the bars and resturants. Some folks might say the peeps up here can be snotty and such, but I like the area. Apartments are a little small but easy access to the west side for more trains and such...

To me, we basically use the apartment to sleep, shower and watch some tv. We are always out and about if I am not at work or she at school.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 PM

I lived on the UES when I was in my early 20's. It's a great "jumping off" neighborhood to start your NYC life- extremely safe, lots of young people (as well as families and old people), and enough bars/ restaurants to keep you entertained. It's not as exciting or trendy as living downtown (East/West Village, Union Square, Lower East Side, Tribeca, SoHo, Chelsea), but it's a good, relatively affordable (the blocks east of 2nd Avenue, at least) neighborhood to start in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or