Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 04:32 PM

19 posts, read 49,542 times

Advertisements

I am 20 years olod will be 21 wen i move out to NYC. I am curious as to where i can move to where i would be able to get a real taste of nyc not just the fast paced movement and high end things of manhatten. I was thinking about brooklyn flatbush area. I can deal with sum crime and can handle my own. I spent alot of time in Oakland, CA and Richmond, CA so sum little goons shouldnt bother me...faltbush looked like it had alot of culture to soak up and theres people outside which i like! I just want to live close to a corner store where there are humble people and forgive my shallowness but BAD FEMALES! lol Im interested in hearing your thoughts on me moving to flatbush and other boroughs/neighborhoods u may suggest.

PS I am White and Native American but for the most part look hispanic almost probably resemble a lighter skinned puerto rican..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 05:48 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
I'm thinking Bushwick. My grandparents lived in Richmond, so I know you can handle the tougher parts of the nabe. I don't live there, but when I've been there for events, I've been impressed by the apparent balance of long-term residents and newbies who are actually making stuff (Check out 3rd Ward for an example), as opposed to just posing like so many folks in Williamsburg who move there because it is cool.

I don't know the ratio of bad females in the area and like I said, I don't live there, but I think it is worth checking out.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk925 View Post
I am 20 years olod will be 21 wen i move out to NYC. I am curious as to where i can move to where i would be able to get a real taste of nyc not just the fast paced movement and high end things of manhatten. I was thinking about brooklyn flatbush area. I can deal with sum crime and can handle my own. I spent alot of time in Oakland, CA and Richmond, CA so sum little goons shouldnt bother me...faltbush looked like it had alot of culture to soak up and theres people outside which i like! I just want to live close to a corner store where there are humble people and forgive my shallowness but BAD FEMALES! lol Im interested in hearing your thoughts on me moving to flatbush and other boroughs/neighborhoods u may suggest.

PS I am White and Native American but for the most part look hispanic almost probably resemble a lighter skinned puerto rican..lol
Probably resemble more of a Mexican then a Puerto Rican. I noticed alot of transplants are easily getting jobs in NYC then local natives so it wont be hard for you to find a job. Do you have a job planned up here for you in NYC? Do you know what Job you wanna or what career your pushing for? Do you have a budget on how much you wanna spend while trying to live in NYC? Wow you lived in Oakland thats for worse then more niegborhoods in BRooklyn and even flatbush. Most people in here would suggest taht you live around the lower east side, try west Brooklyn niegborhoods such as Williamsburg Brooklyn, GreenPoint, Redhook, Astoria Queens niegborhoods where all the transplants and hipsters live. Do you plan to live alone or with a roomate here in NYC. Flatbush is also an avenue, its one of the longest avenues in the city of ny and it goes through many sections of Brooklyn strecthing from the Manhattan bridge all the way to flatlands if I remember correctly. You mean the Crown hieghts section. If Crown heights is what you dig then go for it.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:59 PM

12 posts, read 23,995 times
Which part? Unless you are filthy rich, you have no choice. First place available that you can afford.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:13 PM

I was watchin this video (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTVA1H3-OfU ) and it kind of held a sense of just walkin down the street n alot of peole being out n about n watnot....i mean i dont want to have to deal wit people tryna rob me n **** but i mean i will be able to take on sum people if it means being able to walk to the store from my front step less than a block away n having people out 24/7 lol I dont have a career lined up but i never lived in oakland i just stood on the block in richmond n oakland and a couple cities that yall havent heard of....

Old 11-20-2010, 07:04 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,762 times
Flatbush is a lot like (the poor parts of) Oakland, so if you like Oakland, you'll like Flatbush (less dangerous, though). Bushwick is usually considered the new hipster neighborhood, though.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:08 PM

Brownstone belive it or not u gave me the best answer to put it into perspective i think i will tho

Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 AM

596 posts, read 895,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk925 View Post

I would move to where you live now in a heart beat! I think that it is an universal phenomenon that grass appears greener on the other side.

Atsushi

Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 PM

442 posts, read 1,297,021 times
yea grass is always greener. i daydream about san fran sometimes when im stuck on the bqe or dodging maniacs on the van wyck. grass is always greener.....

Old 11-26-2010, 10:16 PM

because u havent been here forever of course the grass is greener on the other side....but the bay area is getting worse by the minute..too many killings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City