Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Check out harlem.

That's probably where most of the Baptists would be found. However, since the OP specifically mentions: "From what ive heard all the white people in NYC are Italians, Jews, Eastern European Immigrants, homosexuals, etc.", I don't think Harlem folks are the kind of Baptists they are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 01:30 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Guess you haven't heard, heard the word, the only REAL church is Catholic. Jesus H Christmas himself told me.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's probably where most of the Baptists would be found. However, since the OP specifically mentions: "From what ive heard all the white people in NYC are Italians, Jews, Eastern European Immigrants, homosexuals, etc.", I don't think Harlem folks are the kind of Baptists they are looking for.
He was refering that those white people dont profess protestantinsm in nyc. Most white new yorkers are jews who profess judiasm while other white new yorkers are italian croats, slovaks and the irish are catholic. There is a small group of anglo new yorkers who profess the pescopalian church or the anglican church. Most white new yorkers are not baptists but if your looking for your own religous background and you dont mind being around black people my best bet is join your southern African American Bretheren and go to Harlem, there dozens of baptists churches in Harlem, You will feel right at home because the churches are Baptist and Southern.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:21 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
I don't think you are going to find an area like that here. Just like, if I were moving to the Bible belt - I probably couldn't find an area like NYC. They are just different. I think that you might be able to find a church that you like. Also, I have a feeling that people in NYC go to the church that they feel comfortable with - regardless of if it is the closest church to them. So, even if you live in an area that doesn't have a church that you like - you might be able to find one in the NYC area that you like. On the whole, however, NYC is not known for being that religiously conservative. I'm sure you will be able to find some who share your beliefs if you look hard enough. Also, NYC is very diverse - people of all different races, creeds, and sexual preferences abound. This might be new for you - but please don't think that they don't have morals or values just because they are different. NYC is an amazing city. You can be exposed to so many different types of people. It can be a wonderful learning experience if you are open to it.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
No- there aren't any 100% conservative Protestan/ Evangelical areas of NYC.

I highly recommend Trinity Baptist Church in the East 60's and Redeemer Presbyterian Church which has several services in various locations around the city. Both are very conservative and teach the Bible as the literal word of God. Both offer a variety of Bible studies, home/community groups, mission trips, etc- many ways to connect and build a community within your fellow congregants.

Tim Keller is the senior pastor at Redeemer- he is very well known in Evangelical circles (wrote several books including "The Case for God"). You can do a quick google to learn more about him and both of the above churches.

I recommend picking a neighborhood that you like & can afford, and be prepared to spend 30-60 minutes commuting to whichever church feels like "home" to you.

Ps- I understood your post and what you are seeking in NYC, but please be forewarned that many "Italians" and "Irish" residents of NYC who are DEVOUT Catholics would take offense to the tone of your post- that Catholicism or the Eastern Orthodox church isn't legitimate/ Christian. It most certainly is as both believe Jesus is the son of God and the savior of mankind.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 06-13-2010 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 03:03 PM

210 posts, read 173,011 times
I dont think there are tons of liberal catholics here like someone said. Yes, there are some but most ethnic catholics i come across are conservative and traditional catholics who dont support things like gay marriage and abortion.

im just saying that not ALL of ny'ers are far left liberals. i certainly am not

Old 06-13-2010, 03:19 PM

210 posts, read 173,011 times
Just to add--i think theres a big gap between non hispanic white catholics and hispanic catholics (puerto rican, dominican, mexican, etc.) who tend to be much more liberal.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX-ALBO View Post
I dont think there are tons of liberal catholics here like someone said. Yes, there are some but most ethnic catholics i come across are conservative and traditional catholics who dont support things like gay marriage and abortion.

im just saying that not ALL of ny'ers are far left liberals. i certainly am not

Italians and eastern european catholics seem to be a bit conservative religously while the Irish tend to be conservative. Also note Mexicans tend to be conservative and the Puerto Ricans tend to be liberal.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:33 PM

My best bet for the orginal op is to form a church in nyc with many southern baptist or are white or even some black who recently transplanted themselves in nyc. Try to network with other southeners some white or black and try to form your own southern baptist church. Every body from the south is coming to nyc since this city seems to be the most prosperous even during this recession.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:47 PM

414 posts, read 302,703 times
brother, please don't move here, you aren't going to like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City