U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:25 AM

459 posts, read 1,260,023 times

Advertisements

What is this, John Rocker is moving to NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 AM

137 posts, read 125,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves75 View Post
Hello, I am from the Bible Belt, me and my family are very devote christitians (Baptist). We have lived in very religious community oriented area's our whole lives. We are relocating to the New York City area. From what ive heard all the white people in NYC are Italians, Jews, Eastern European Immigrants, homosexuals, etc. On my two visits to New York City about 10-20 years ago, I'd have to agree with what Ive heard. While I do not mind those people, I would much rather stick to a community with the same beliefs, values and traditions as myself. Are there any communties in New York City or even suburbs(within 40 minute commute to Manhattan) where the Church plays a big role in peoples lives? Someone give me some suggestions please.
Maybe you should open your mind to other communities. How are Jews so much worse than Christians? There's always going to be churches and religious communities, so what's wrong with being near (gasp!) homosexuals?

Italians are Christian too...
So are most Eastern European immigrants.

Being open-minded isn't a bad thing...

Old 06-14-2010, 02:43 PM

355 posts, read 763,900 times
I'd take someones suggestion to visit an all black church, no one is going to chase you away and it truely is probably the closest thing you are looking for.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:06 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Hello, I am from the Bible Belt, me and my family are very devote christitians (Baptist). We have lived in very religious community oriented area's our whole lives. We are relocating to the New York City area. From what ive heard all the white people in NYC are Italians, Jews, Eastern European Immigrants, homosexuals, etc. On my two visits to New York City about 10-20 years ago, I'd have to agree with what Ive heard. While I do not mind those people, I would much rather stick to a community with the same beliefs, values and traditions as myself. Are there any communties in New York City or even suburbs(within 40 minute commute to Manhattan) where the Church plays a big role in peoples lives? Someone give me some suggestions please.
Live in a Korean neighborhood, Flushing perhaps, many Koreans are conservative Christians.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:37 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times
Unlike the others, my suggestion would be that you really think hard as to whether you want to move here at all.

NYC is all about diversity. One of the delights of New York is the tremendous range of people and backgrounds. You have the opportunity to experience different customs, different attitudes, different ideas. If you move here with the mindset of trying to avoid that by deliberately searching out an enclave of people just like yourself, you're depriving yourself of part of the best of NYC, and really makes the move a bit pointless.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 PM

8,593 posts, read 10,293,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
If you move here with the mindset of trying to avoid that by deliberately searching out an enclave of people just like yourself, you're depriving yourself of part of the best of NYC, and really makes the move a bit pointless.
On the other hand hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers do precisely that, and the folks who do form ethnic or religious enclaves, add to much of NYC's unique color.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:03 AM

142 posts, read 360,552 times
lol

Old 06-18-2010, 05:26 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,619,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
On the other hand hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers do precisely that, and the folks who do form ethnic or religious enclaves, add to much of NYC's unique color.
Great point !

I really like living in a neighborhood with a huge Albanian enclave(Pelham Parkway) that is very close to two of the last real Italian neighborhoods left in the city(Little Italy and Morris Park) and also near the biggest Irish enclave(Woodlawn) left in the city as well.Love the restaurants, pubs, shopping,etc that these neighborhoods offer.
These neighborhoods wouldn't exist if people hadn't hadn't followed their instincts to settle with other people of "their own" cultures.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:35 AM

419 posts, read 676,402 times
Quote:
One of the best things about NYC is that it is baptist/southern baptist free.

If you wish to continue to believe in garbage theology like the "rapture" and stuff like the "earth is 5000 years old" I would stay in the south.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 AM

224 posts, read 962,440 times
Quote:
Well I'm a devout Irish Catholic like my whole family, and most of the Irish, Italians, Hispanics, Eastern Europeans, Hatians are all Catholic. The Baptists that I know of are mainly African-American churches in Harlem or in other large African American areas in the Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens. But you are right, most of NY is either Catholic or Jew. I know most of you WASPs dislike us anyway, why would you want to move around majority Catholics? =P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or