U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:04 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,792,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
What is this, John Rocker is moving to NYC?
You beat me to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 AM

506 posts, read 1,128,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves75 View Post
Hello, I am from the Bible Belt, me and my family are very devote christitians (Baptist). We have lived in very religious community oriented area's our whole lives. We are relocating to the New York City area. From what ive heard all the white people in NYC are Italians, Jews, Eastern European Immigrants, homosexuals, etc. On my two visits to New York City about 10-20 years ago, I'd have to agree with what Ive heard. While I do not mind those people, I would much rather stick to a community with the same beliefs, values and traditions as myself. Are there any communties in New York City or even suburbs(within 40 minute commute to Manhattan) where the Church plays a big role in peoples lives? Someone give me some suggestions please.

Well, you heard wrong about "all the white people" but to answer your question, yes there are a lot of other people in the NYC area who are devoted Christians. Maybe you're first move would be to locate Baptist churches or ask your pastor to help you. I don't know that much specifically about Baptist churches but I know there are several different sub sects of them. There is a First Baptist Church not far from me, in Tarrytown, NY. Although I pass by it all the time I don't know anything about it. We have all sorts of churches, synogogues, temples, and mosques here in the NY area, I'm sure you can find something for you. However, we don't have any communities where you're going to find only white Baptists. Maybe you need to broaden your horizons a bit. Or a lot.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:34 AM

8,593 posts, read 10,293,732 times
"If you wish to continue to believe in garbage theology like the "rapture" and stuff like the "earth is 5000 years old" I would stay in the south"

this is what I mean by narrow minded. There are entire neighborhoods in NYC where 90% of the folks believe the earth is roughly that old. These areas often have good chicken soup and felafel.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM

3,674 posts, read 5,850,725 times
Has any one else noticed that the OP hasn't posted anything since the original post?

Troll?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:26 PM

506 posts, read 1,128,253 times
I thought maybe the same but responded as if it was real just in case.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:46 AM

30 posts, read 45,023 times
theres people who are christians in hte city one of the largest presbyterian churhc is redeemer
also all cities around manhattan have churches you dont have to look hard to find christians
ive lived in white plains all my li]fe and we have all kinds of religion here buddhist and christians andjewish faith

Old 10-12-2010, 01:47 AM

30 posts, read 45,023 times
look for a baptist church in manhattan you will find them on the internet

Old 10-12-2010, 07:06 AM

15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
I think looking for Southern Baptist in NYC is kind of liking look for Catholics in the Bible Belt.

They exist, but not in large massive numbers.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves75 View Post
Hello, I am from the Bible Belt, me and my family are very devote christitians (Baptist). We have lived in very religious community oriented area's our whole lives. We are relocating to the New York City area. From what ive heard all the white people in NYC are Italians, Jews, Eastern European Immigrants, homosexuals, etc. On my two visits to New York City about 10-20 years ago, I'd have to agree with what Ive heard. While I do not mind those people, I would much rather stick to a community with the same beliefs, values and traditions as myself. Are there any communties in New York City or even suburbs(within 40 minute commute to Manhattan) where the Church plays a big role in peoples lives? Someone give me some suggestions please.
Just so you know, and I take it you didn't, the moment you use a term like "those people," you're setting yourself up for a difficult time. (I'm Jewish, and as one of "those people," I have to say, you're a lot better off staying right where you are...for all parties concerned).

Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,062,796 times
yeah; google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or