Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:23 PM

5 posts, read 36,586 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am from the Bible Belt, me and my family are very devote christitians (Baptist). We have lived in very religious community oriented area's our whole lives. We are relocating to the New York City area. From what ive heard all the white people in NYC are Italians, Jews, Eastern European Immigrants, homosexuals, etc. On my two visits to New York City about 10-20 years ago, I'd have to agree with what Ive heard. While I do not mind those people, I would much rather stick to a community with the same beliefs, values and traditions as myself. Are there any communties in New York City or even suburbs(within 40 minute commute to Manhattan) where the Church plays a big role in peoples lives? Someone give me some suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 06:37 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default Sola Scriptura Morto

Like Europe the sola scriptura Protestants in this part of the country lost all faith generations ago. Most from a Protestant background worship things like money or themselves. Most of the Christians up here are Roman Catholics or Eastern Orthodox.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
There are definitely Evangelicals in the city, but not a whole neighborhood full of them. You can find large groups of Pentecostals in the Bronx, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

On the whole, practicing Protestants in the city tend to be Mainline and liberal. This applies to the suburbs as well. Lots of country club Whiskeypalians, &c.

You should do some online research and find a church you like, but you're not going to find a neighborhood or town that remotely resembles the Bible-belt.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 06-12-2010 at 06:56 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 07:19 PM

218 posts, read 741,248 times
I'd steer clear of Greenwich Village, then...

Old 06-12-2010, 07:24 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
You're not going to find too many southern style Baptists here. There are some "born again"/Christian Rock music types of churches, but you would have to seek out individual churches with this style of worship to find something comfortable for you. Most people of the Christian faith are Catholic, but there certainly are Lutheran, Methodist, etc. churches.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Check out harlem.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:33 PM

217 posts, read 921,351 times
There are most churches per block here than you'd think, were you not from NYC... Big churches, little churches, home churches and so on. Street preachers, too.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:49 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Nevins View Post
There are most churches per block here than you'd think, were you not from NYC... Big churches, little churches, home churches and so on. Street preachers, too.
Yes, but they're nearly all old, Mainline congregations and very liberal. They're not the-Bible-is-the-literal-word-of God kind of churches. Many churches in Manhattan are gay-friendly and quite a few have gay clergy. The OP has an issue with "homosexuals."

Riverside Church (The Riverside Church - Homepage) is nominally Baptist, but it's the Bill Moyers not the Jerry Falwell variety. I just noticed that they quote Noam Chomsky on their homepage. It's practically Unitarian compared with Bible Belt churches. The only large conservative Protestant church I know of in Manhattan is Times Square Church (Times Square Church | Carter Conlon Senior Pastor, David Wilkerson Founding Pastor). I'm sure there are smaller ones.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:42 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Nevins View Post
More churches in Manhattan than bars. I remember reading that in a NYC trivia article once.

There are Baptist churches all over the city, but you're not going to find somewhere that you can completely avoid the rest of us heathens.

http://www.thecityofnewyorkcity.com/...h-baptist.html

Old 06-13-2010, 09:51 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Like Europe the sola scriptura Protestants in this part of the country lost all faith generations ago. Most from a Protestant background worship things like money or themselves. Most of the Christians up here are Roman Catholics or Eastern Orthodox.
Yeah. For example, those Episcopalians--they don't use their time properly by having quotefests and identifying the damned the amongst them. Too busy wasting their time feeding and sheltering the homeless. They're gonna burn for that.

Episcopal Charities Of The Diocese Of New York - Episcopal Charities Of The Diocese Of New York New York New York Soup Kitchen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City