U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 07:34 PM

36 posts, read 101,301 times

Advertisements

This is my experience...
I applied with my sibling on 11/30/09 which was the last day to apply in order to be considered. Anyway, to my surprise, I was sent a letter in Feb asking for me to come for an interview in March. Everything was set, but at the last moment my sister was unable to make the appointment and the interview was pushed back until May as this was the earliest date available when i called to reschedule.

The individual conducting the interview was professional and soft spoken; however, they are very strict about falling within the income guidelines. We were within the guidelines and the verification process began, and boy is it a process. Nothig seemed to go right, everything from the landloard taking his sweet time to return the verification to former employers sitting with the verification letter on their desk for a month before deciding to return it, but eventually all the verifications were returned. Now, 1 month and a half after the inital interview, my file is complete and waiting for it to be reviewed by the supervisors.

Like many people have written before, it is a lot of work to get all the documents together and pleading with former employers to return documents takes a lot out of you. And because there are 2 adults in my household, it was double the trouble trying to get everything together. I read a previous post where a woman went for an interview on March 9th and was approved by April 1st. My experience has been the opposite, it has been like pulling teeth and there is no guarantee that it will work out for me which is the scary part. I pray everyday that it will work out, because my current hosing situation though not terrible and much better than many others, it is far from ideal.

Hopefully, others can share their experience regarding this lottery and give a rough timeline of how their paperwork progressed.

I always hear of them asking for more documents beyond the 1st interview, maybe during the scond interview. I hope to have a second interview and was wondering after getting all those documents and verifications, what else could they possibly want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,500 times
Hi - Just a quick question, how did they determine income eligibility? Was it based on your overall AGI (annual gross income) or based on what you actually get after taxes etc? Please let me know. It would help. thank you.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:57 PM

544 posts, read 1,453,433 times
Wow so wait..what is it that you needed to varify? And you have to go on a 2nd interview?

Old 06-28-2010, 04:40 PM

36 posts, read 101,301 times
They calculate your income based on gross but its kinda tricky bc if u earned 32,000 last year and that number is on your w2 and this year you work at the same job earning the same hourly rate but you are making less due to lack of OT offered, they will calculate your gross income as 32, 000 even if your pay stubs project you will earn 29,000 for 2010. Just saying I'm not getting OT anymore does not cut it. You would have to make a really good arguement and some time of supporting documentation from your job documenting you are no longer permitted to work OT or something of that sort. If your past 3 W2 forms indicate a higher figure, the higher figure is the one they will go with for your yearly income.

Everything has to be verified. Past employment, Current employment, student status if applicable, landlord contact, irs contact. If you provide a w2 indicating you worked for xyz company and wrote on your application you worked there for xyz years earing xyz dollars, you sign a verification at the interview, the company is contacted and the info needs to match more or less.

They mantain very good records in your file. When my interview was conducted, the gentleman opened the folder and I was suprised to see my application I sent in 2009 attached to the envelope I sent it in. When your boss sends a verification, they keep those papers as well.

This process is draining. It really is a lot of back and forth. I had to submit a years worth of con ed bills to prove my sibiling whom we share the same mom and dad as documented by our birth certificates are really a "household". It is a lot of maddness to go through...

Old 06-28-2010, 08:29 PM

Yeah I feel you. I too applied for the 505 apartments but im on the waiting list. Which is fine by me..better then a complete rejection ! Lol ! In any case, it was just very interesting to hear your story about your process at 505. Seems like they go through several more steps then at River Place II.

In any case..best of luck to you throughout your process

Old 06-29-2010, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancheto View Post
They calculate your income based on gross but its kinda tricky bc if u earned 32,000 last year and that number is on your w2 and this year you work at the same job earning the same hourly rate but you are making less due to lack of OT offered, they will calculate your gross income as 32, 000 even if your pay stubs project you will earn 29,000 for 2010. Just saying I'm not getting OT anymore does not cut it. You would have to make a really good arguement and some time of supporting documentation from your job documenting you are no longer permitted to work OT or something of that sort. If your past 3 W2 forms indicate a higher figure, the higher figure is the one they will go with for your yearly income.

Everything has to be verified. Past employment, Current employment, student status if applicable, landlord contact, irs contact. If you provide a w2 indicating you worked for xyz company and wrote on your application you worked there for xyz years earing xyz dollars, you sign a verification at the interview, the company is contacted and the info needs to match more or less.

They mantain very good records in your file. When my interview was conducted, the gentleman opened the folder and I was suprised to see my application I sent in 2009 attached to the envelope I sent it in. When your boss sends a verification, they keep those papers as well.

This process is draining. It really is a lot of back and forth. I had to submit a years worth of con ed bills to prove my sibiling whom we share the same mom and dad as documented by our birth certificates are really a "household". It is a lot of maddness to go through...
Thank you. I got called for an interview. I'm in the process of gathering all the required documentations. This helps. Any other suggestions you may have will be appreciated.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 11,782 times
i received a letter stating i was on low priority status due to not being an NYC resident...does this mean i have been put on a waiting list or would be contacted for an interview? it's been a month now since i've received the letter.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:20 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,632,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSRMARTINEZ926 View Post
i received a letter stating i was on low priority status due to not being an NYC resident...does this mean i have been put on a waiting list or would be contacted for an interview? it's been a month now since i've received the letter.
It means forget it.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSRMARTINEZ926 View Post
That tells you all u need to know right there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City