Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times

Advertisements

I picked out a few neighborhoods for you

SWINDLE TV( WATSON GIRL FIGHT) - YouTube

CrackHead Fight In The Bronx - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:29 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,806 times
I'm from Detroit. Stop acting so tough, your Detroit 'tude isn't going far here. NYC, even with its pretty stats, will still eat you alive with your type of mentality.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 15,782 times
What I'm looking for from this board is specific recommendations as to legitimate, short term and affordable rental companies suitable for a job seeker. Since I don't know the city, I want to rent an inexpensive place and get acclimated to the area so that I can figure out where the best area for me to live is....

Thus far, I've gotten smarmy commentary that merely perpetrates the "FU" NYC attitude-stereotype (with a couple of exceptions).

More of the latter please! Why else are you on this board????

From what I can see, NYC is no more expensive than Detroit, except for rent. The price of owning and driving a car (a must in Detroit) equals it out. Food is perhaps cheaper.

Apparently, NYC is full of a bunch of real estate thieves. I'll look to Craigslist, where there are all sorts of sublets in my price range.

Thanks.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Pony up for a hotel for a few days and find a place. If you can't afford a hotel then truth is you can't afford to live here.

If he can only afford $500/month for a rental, what makes you think he can afford a hotel in NYC for a few days?? He definitely can't.

I would suggest the OP look in Queens or Brooklyn for weekly room rentals. He should call around to a few real estate offices and see if there are any. I rented a room in Queens back in 1981 for $50/week. Pretty big room with a TV and a 2 minute walk to the bus stop. I would think that same room would probably go for at least $150/week now.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:42 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
If he can only afford $500/month for a rental, what makes you think he can afford a hotel in NYC for a few days?? .
That's my POINT. The OP can't afford to live here if they can't afford a hotel for a few days

Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,806 times
It's not more expensive, except for rent? Food is perhaps cheaper? Lol, you are in for quite the awakening. It ain't Kansas! You're getting the response you are 'cause you can't friggin' afford it. Plenty of people have given the best advice possible. You will end up in the ****ie$t possible 'hoods on $100. $150 will still suck bad. $200 maybe, but room rentals are shady. You are living with strangers and not protected by a lease. You may find a small, private space without roommates but they are gone quickly. There isn't any 'agency' or 'helping hand' if that is what you were looking for. If you can't afford a hotel for a few days... or deal with the very real possibility of substandard housing until better established.... I would say you have no business whatsoever in NYC.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 05-25-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 11:34 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
It's not more expensive, except for rent? Food is perhaps cheaper? Lol, you are in for quite the awakening. It ain't Kansas! You're getting the response you are 'cause you can't friggin' afford it. Plenty of people have given the best advice possible. You will end up in the ****ie$t possible 'hoods on $100. $150 will still suck bad. $200 maybe, but room rentals are shady. You are living with strangers and not protected by a lease. You may find a small, private space without roommates but they are gone quickly. There isn't any 'agency' or 'helping hand' if that is what you were looking for. If you can't afford a hotel for a few days... or deal with the very real possibility of substandard housing until better established.... I would say you have no business whatsoever in NYC.
When people don't like the responses they get they think everyone is being mean and giving them bad advice.
No ones' try to tell the OP not to come here we are just being real. Its not the 80's anymore and you can't come with $100 in your pocket. My suggestion of staying in a hotel for several day in queens or brooklyn was a real suggestion. Those hotels aren't that expensive. If you can't afford that it means you have no savings. I wouldn't recommend anyone moving here without a couple thousand dollars at least. Jobs are hard to come by, it may take time to find one. And monthly bills add up fast with rent, con ed, subway pass, food, etc. I would suggest anyone save up before they come here and if they don't have the money now wait until they have some.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
When people don't like the responses they get they think everyone is being mean and giving them bad advice.
No ones' try to tell the OP not to come here we are just being real. Its not the 80's anymore and you can't come with $100 in your pocket. My suggestion of staying in a hotel for several day in queens or brooklyn was a real suggestion. Those hotels aren't that expensive. If you can't afford that it means you have no savings. I wouldn't recommend anyone moving here without a couple thousand dollars at least. Jobs are hard to come by, it may take time to find one. And monthly bills add up fast with rent, con ed, subway pass, food, etc. I would suggest anyone save up before they come here and if they don't have the money now wait until they have some.
This exactly. You must have at least some cushion for your security when moving here, Which requires a lot more then most other cities. As exited as one may be to move having savings and a plan, And perhaps even some contacts in the new city make it less stressful. You don't want to be down to the last $20 and have nothing lined up for stability. Not a good feeling.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,054 times
ive got to say in kiyans defense..i did get sent up to the place on 160,and after renting a room up there for 150 a week for about a month,i found a great apartmentin a gentrified area in east harlem.very convienent location.my rental company is in new Rochelle and you can go there directly or call 451 rescue llc 914 380 8220. and there is usually never an operator,,so leave a message and be persistent.you may still need to go with a broker in one of the uptown apartment brokerages.that is going to cost you but they will work with you.my rent is 1450 and I paid 100 to a broker.the Spanish spots are the place to go.dealing with the Italians in my area,the apts were very small and they required cosigners when I couldn't find one they didn't want to give me my 500 back.i had to settle on 200

Old 08-06-2013, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 12,626 times
Delta Room Rentals is legit. My brother was living in a shelter that used them to find their residents rooms. The housing representative at the shelter said that Delta has always worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City