U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:35 AM

29 posts, read 102,029 times

Advertisements

I saw several ads on Craigslist that advertise rooms in NY for as little as $100/week. They are Big Apple Rooms, Delta Rooms, and Rentasy.

Are these places legitimate?

They're by appointment only, you must show up--ONLY the person/s renting the room--no friends or relatives. Like why all the secrecy?

Has anyone gone through them before?

I called and was assured on the phone they are, but I'd love to hear from someone with personal experience.

Because if what they're advertising is true, why don't MORE people rent from them instead of outrageously overpriced hotel rooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM

142 posts, read 243,982 times
Don't do it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen71 View Post
I saw several ads on Craigslist that advertise rooms in NY for as little as $100/week. They are Big Apple Rooms, Delta Rooms, and Rentasy.

They're by appointment only, you must show up--ONLY the person/s renting the room--no friends or relatives. Like why all the secrecy?

I called and was assured on the phone they are, but I'd love to hear from someone with personal experience.

Because if what they're advertising is true, why don't MORE people rent from them instead of outrageously overpriced hotel rooms?

Old 06-13-2010, 12:20 PM

129 posts, read 276,996 times
I agree. Don't go. Also, you might want to flag your suspicions to craigslist.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:34 PM

16,470 posts, read 8,929,703 times
$100 a week sounds pretty fishy to me. In NYC - $100 a day is considered a good deal. $100 a week doesn't sound kosher to me.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:58 PM

7,208 posts, read 12,064,230 times
I think it's a scam. Did a quick google search and this comes up (not that it proves anything, but...)
Delta Rooms Scammed Me And My Friend‎‎ - DELTA ROOM RENTALS CORP New York, 10031

Scroll down a little after clicking to see the review.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:16 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,759,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen71 View Post

It's very possible to get a room for $100/wk. That's what I'm paying right now here in Queens. Before that I was paying $85/wk for a room in the Bronx. I didn't go through any agencies either. However I agree with the other posters that those agencies in particular are probably scams. Of course they're gonna tell you they're not, why would they...but like they say, the fact that you had to ask such a question probably means they're probably not the real deal. I think you already know what's up

Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 PM

129 posts, read 276,996 times
Mayor, if you don't mind my asking, where are you renting a room for $100/week?

Old 06-13-2010, 01:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,358,741 times
What they basically do is send you to some random persons apartment/house in a random neighborhood, you can either end up anywhere from the Upper West side or East New York in Brooklyn. So its a risk. I've done it before.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:09 PM

29 posts, read 102,029 times
Thanks for the replies, especially the helpful link about Delta Rooms.

I did a google search of Big Apple Rooms and found nothing negative. On their website, they have information about a similar business that's a scam. The even posted links to the news story about this guy.

From the story I got the number from the NY Dept. of State where one can call to find out if a business is actually licensed. FYI the number is 212-561-5727.

Now I'm off to do a search of Big Apple with the Better Business Bureau.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:36 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,358,741 times
I just did some research on Big Apple rooms and they seem more legit then the other ones. Looks like a deal to me. But Delta I know is bs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City