U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 08:35 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,648,493 times

Advertisements

1. You want a suburban-style environment (your own garage, backyard, very little street traffic).
2. At least one family member commutes to work in Midtown Manhattan.
3. You need a commute time of no more than one hour.
4. You have elementary school age children.
5. Education is very important to you but you cannot afford private school.
6. You want the safest environment available given what you are able to afford.
7. You realize that in order to fulfill your wish list that you may have to live with some degree of ethnic diversity.

Are you more inclined to live in NYC (i.e., in a middle class neighborhood in The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens or Staten Island) where your property taxes are lower or would you to live in Nassau County where property taxes are higher but the price of a house could be lower?

Let's assume the most you can pay for a house in the 4 boros is $450,000 and the most on LI is $400,000 (taxes are higher there).

Where would you live? Neighborhood suggestions are welcomed!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 AM

295 posts, read 1,359,764 times
You are describing Queens (except for the street traffic).

Your price-points for a house with a backyard are a bit low, but I'd do some investigation into the public school districts. There are some great, totally free, sources of education in Queens in public schools. In addition, I think an important part of what your kid gets out of school is a function of what YOU put in (reading after school, looking at homework, ect).

I would recommend Woodside... which is very diverse, has fantastic schools, is a very short commute from Manhattan, is safe and has 1 family houses with backyards. The only problem is, I think your budget is too low for a 1 family.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 AM

203 posts, read 584,336 times
I don't think OP is looking for diversity...based on #7 it appears she is willing to accept some diversity because of the financial constraints.

I really think with $450K in the boros and $400K in LI, it would be really hard to get something that fits your requirement. I would rent for the time being and save up more money.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 AM

721 posts, read 1,304,777 times
I don't think you can find a 1fam in Queens with a backyard that is on a subway line to midtown. Definitely if you are willing to take a bus to the subway, but then you'd be pushing it with the 1 hour commute time. Or if you are willing to live in an apartment, but then you have to pay maintenance which can be on par with property taxes on LI. And parking/garage is always going to be an issue.

For a family with 1 child, I'd pick Queens. Once we had our second child, LI made more sense. There are things I definitely miss (Utopia bagels!) but you also have to remember that while you pay property taxes on LI, you don't pay NYC taxes, so that helps to close the gap somewhat.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:47 AM

Some clarification:
- When I say "backyard" a full lot of 4000 sq ft (40 x 100) is sufficient.
- Very open to diversity and realize that it will be necessary given limited finances.
- Willing to do the bus + subway commute but need to keep it to one hour.

I really know Queens but looking for some other suggestions.

Thanks!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 AM

747 posts, read 2,274,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
2. At least one family member commutes to work in Midtown Manhattan.
East or west side? Depending on the answer it could open up areas north of the city (Metro-North to GCT) or west (NJ Transit to Penn or PA)

Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 AM

203 posts, read 584,336 times
I think you should stick to Queens. With Long Island, you'd have to take the LIRR to Penn Station plus subway if its not walkable...this adds a lot more to the commuting costs, whereas an unlimited monly metrocard is sufficient if you live in Queens.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
East or west side? Depending on the answer it could open up areas north of the city (Metro-North to GCT) or west (NJ Transit to Penn or PA)
Around 42nd/Broadway.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:36 PM

I'm not surprised at the deafening silence on this thread. I think I've painted a scenario that is tough to fulfill given the financial constraints and other requirements.

Again, I'm pretty familiar with Queens so if you have any suggestions for neighborhoods in The Bronx or Brooklyn, please jump in.

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2010, 12:47 PM

295 posts, read 1,359,764 times
If you are OK with a longer commute... try Glendale, Queens. You could find something small, but in your price range there. It's also pretty nice.

A good friend of mine was looking in Brooklyn. It's become quite pricey. She ended up spending a LOT more than she thought for a smaller place than she had thought.

I've heard good things about Morris Park, Bronx. Not so sure about the schools.

Riverdale in the Bronx is nice too, though I think this will be out of your price range.

You can also look at Westchester in terms of commute time and backyard, but the taxes will be very high and you won't be able to afford the highest ranking school districts. White Plains may be an option. It has good schools and is a 30 minute commute from NYC. You could potentially find a house a short distance away from the train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or