U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-17-2010, 01:00 AM

7,486 posts, read 5,728,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The South Bronx and Central Harlem had the highest crime rates in the city. So no Brooklyn was not worse. The only neighborhood comparable to the top two was Bushwick. This including vacant lots and grittyness.

Bushwick from all accounts was a hellhole. Especially Knickerbocker ave which they nicknamed "the well" for its seemingly endless supply of drugs.

Brooklyn was in really bad shape but worse than the south Bronx?

Nothing.

And yes I was too young at the time and my earliest memories are from 1993 in University Heights (shudders) but I've done enough research and seen enough pictures to form a pretty accurate view of it.

To finish it...Brooklyn was not a place you wanted to be. There is a reason it gives so much "street cred" to people from it.

You forgot to mention Brownsville, newlots and east new york also bedford styvesant. I remember as a child visiting east new york brooklyn. It used to rattle my bones much more then university section of the bronx back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-17-2010, 04:12 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,302,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
removable car radios, right?
YUP! Benzi Boxes were removable car radios. After getting your windows bashed in enough, you got one!

Unread 06-17-2010, 04:22 AM

371 posts, read 228,136 times
I'm not from NYC but have done a little home work.

Do any of you know about Lorenzo "Fat Cat" Nichols, Gerald "Prince" Miller, Kenneth "Supreme" McGriff, and Thomas "Tony Montana" Mickens? These guys were big time dealers in South Jamaica Queens mainly but spilled off into Brooklyn to my understanding.

I believe New Jack City was loosely based off "The Surpreme Team" and Kenneth McGriff was Nino Brown with Gerald Miller being G-Money. Would like to here someones perspective on how close the movie portrayed the real deal.

The 75th precinct seemed to have had the highest murders in 1990. Something like 109!
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs075pct.pdf

Unread 06-17-2010, 04:37 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,302,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post

Do any of you know about Lorenzo "Fat Cat" Nichols, Gerald "Prince" Miller, Kenneth "Supreme" McGriff, and Thomas "Tony Montana" Mickens? These guys were big time dealers in South Jamaica Queens mainly but spilled off into Brooklyn to my understanding.

I believe New Jack City was loosely based off "The Surpreme Team" and Kenneth McGriff was Nino Brown with Gerald Miller being G-Money. Would like to here someones perspective on how close the movie portrayed the real deal.

The 75th precinct seemed to have had the highest murders in 1990. Something like 109!
There is a great episode of American Gangster (http://www.bet.com/NR/exeres/2AE8823A-D474-4D36-BE19-ADA5011C7E05.htm - broken link)that tells their story. These slime balls destroyed my once beautiful SEQueens. However, when a young police officer was killed while protecting a family they'd threatened for reporting their drug activity, the whole nation took notice of crime problems and the "clean up" that you here about went into full swing. Why it took all this for politicos to finally do something is beyond me.

Unread 06-17-2010, 05:19 AM

279 posts, read 583,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post

Great post.I lived in the 75th pct. back then fortunately enough Starrett City but that was still no day in the park.My 70 year old mom (then) got to the point where she would try and figure what kind of guns were popping off in ENY.lIKE oh,that was a 9 or I think that was a.45.lol.
Regarding Fat Cat and Supreme McGriff and that crew there is an excellent book about them and all the misery they bought to South Ozone and that part of Queens called "COPSHOT" also by author I previously mentioned named Mike McAlary.That crew actually ordered the murder of a rookie policeman who was guarding the home of a witness named Arjune who was tired of what was happening in his hood. The cop Eddie Byrne was 21 I think and they got him about 4x in the head in his marked police car.I think they firebombed Arjunes place a couple of times too but he is still alive and around somewhere.He might have gone back to Guyana.
Actually any old McAlary columns or books are really gritty and bring that time back to life.

Unread 06-17-2010, 06:48 AM

371 posts, read 228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
Great post.I lived in the 75th pct. back then fortunately enough Starrett City but that was still no day in the park.My 70 year old mom (then) got to the point where she would try and figure what kind of guns were popping off in ENY.lIKE oh,that was a 9 or I think that was a.45.lol.
Regarding Fat Cat and Supreme McGriff and that crew there is an excellent book about them and all the misery they bought to South Ozone and that part of Queens called "COPSHOT" also by author I previously mentioned named Mike McAlary.That crew actually ordered the murder of a rookie policeman who was guarding the home of a witness named Arjune who was tired of what was happening in his hood. The cop Eddie Byrne was 21 I think and they got him about 4x in the head in his marked police car.I think they firebombed Arjunes place a couple of times too but he is still alive and around somewhere.He might have gone back to Guyana.
Actually any old McAlary columns or books are really gritty and bring that time back to life.
I've heard these guys referenced all over NY. Was just reading about Supreme hanging out at Fever in the early 80's. He's also been mentioned on many albums as well as beefs with the likes of 50 cent and Jam Master Jay (RIP). I'd like to know what the word on the street is on his involvement...guy seems like a modern day Al Capone to say the least. I heard 2,606 people were killed in NY state in 1990 as a result of drug/turf wars. If true that is a lot of death!
Surveilling 50 Cent - September 6, 2005
33jones -- Kenneth Supreme McGriff and E Moneybags

I checked out McAlary, sounds like he had a close ear to the ground back then. I am definitely going to order a few of his books, Cop Shot and Buddy Boys look real interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

Here's another book I found with more of a hip hop perspective.
Amazon.com: Queens Reigns Supreme: Fat Cat, 50 Cent, and the Rise of the Hip Hop Hustler (9781400095230): Ethan Brown: Books

Unread 06-17-2010, 08:05 AM

191 posts, read 330,546 times
Could honestly tell you I had family in both boroughs and people on both sides were scared to go each others borough. People from the Bronx pictured Brooklyn to be the wild wild west while Brooklynites had the same depiction of the Bronx, LOL. Probably was true that they were both as bad in certain areas. What ever you heard about the BX was probably not anymore different in the BK. Even yuppie amusement Park Slope was bad comparable to today’s standards, I remember someone getting mugged looking outside the window from my elementary school PS 282, you should see this block now. I also remember there being a huge shoot out in the heart of Park Slope on 5th avenue one guy shooting at cops from a building. Like mentioned before movies Clockers, Straight out of Brooklyn, Strapped, and ofcourse NewJackCity were movies I watched growing up. Does anyone remember for a long time the two rival gangs in Brooklyn the Decipticons and Autobots, yeah Transformers?

How can I forget "Spike of Bensonhurst" corky movie but I remember it having great depictions of BK of that time.

Ok found a link on the Decipticons, the article on the Girl Gang was pretty intense.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...reet-gang.html

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 06-17-2010 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: added more info/link

Unread 06-17-2010, 08:47 AM

8,479 posts, read 4,990,151 times
parts of Carroll Gardens and Boerum Hill were already being renovated in the late 1970's. Park Slope was pretty nice, if not as solidly yuppified as today.

Are you only interested in the northern half of Brooklyn? There is a whole world of southern Brooklyn from Bay Ridge to Canarsie.

The period you describe is when brighton Beach was becoming Little Odessa, a fascinating phenomenon which you can probably find pop culture about. Boro Parks hasidification was intensifying, and starting to spread out to adjoining neighborhoods. Similar things happened with non-hasidic haredi Jews in the Avenue J section of Midwood. I believe this was the time when the mass migration of Jews from Syria to Ocean Parkway took place.

Unread 06-17-2010, 08:49 AM

and crack was everywhere.

If there was crack in Boro Park in those days, it was well hidden.

Unread 06-17-2010, 08:55 AM

Some yuppies had started trickling into Park Slope. There were no bars, restaurants, club/lounges or cute little shops.

I seem to recall attending a neighborhood festival in Park Slope, in the summer of 1980. There were defintely restuarants, etc there, if not so many as now, and not so upscale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City