Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:01 PM

34,050 posts, read 47,260,557 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Photos Of New York 1970's & 1980's - (Pablo Goes To Pluto)

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 07:10 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Brooklyn was just as bad and sometimes even worse then the Bronx. I remember my talking about how bad east new york was and new lots avenue. I was over there in that part of Brooklyn the other day and the area still looks gritty compared to the south bronx. I remember as a child visiting my Aunt in Starret City and looking out her window towards the North west of Brooklyn and seeing the blight and Urban decay of its borough. Dumbo was dark and gritty, famous for movie scenes being shot in that area because of its grittiness. Williamsburg and Bushwick where known for a vicious gang in the 80s called the Devils Rebels. Also in Williamsburg was a major hub for the Crack Epidemic. I have a book called the American Drug scene were Crack Cocaine and Heroin sales in Williamsburg was more then anywhere else in the city even more then the South Bronx. Puerto Ricans replaced the Italians in Williamsburg and they controlled the drug destribution until the arrival of the Dominicans in the 90s in Williamsburg and Bushwick. Brooklyn also had a severe problem of Redlining of niegborhoods and was heavily segragated by ethnic districts. It is true that The South Bronx gets publizid and rediculed to much during the 80s and 90s by the NYT, but Brooklyn as well has its fair share of Problems sometimes even much more then the South Bronx. Im not sure why Bronx got so much negative media attention. I think what saved Brooklyn was the Media promoting Brooklyn as a safe place to raise a family and be succesfull example the Cosby Show. But hey Brooklyn aint no Saint!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 06-16-2010 at 07:27 PM..

Old 06-16-2010, 08:13 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,409 times
The 70s/80's immortalized by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five

YouTube - Grandmaster Flash The Message HQ

Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 PM

218 posts, read 741,354 times
These are great YouTube videos!!! Man, I miss boom boxes, lol.

Seriously, NYC today is literally like another world compared to before the gentrification... parts of NYC truly looked like a Eastern Bloc warzone back then.

And though this doesn't focus on Brooklyn, another good NYC film from the 70's is Taxi Driver or Mean Streets.

Too bad most rap artists don't try and tell you to STAY in school anymore in their music. Yep... it's a whole other world now...

Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
The South Bronx and Central Harlem had the highest crime rates in the city. So no Brooklyn was not worse. The only neighborhood comparable to the top two was Bushwick. This including vacant lots and grittyness.

Bushwick from all accounts was a hellhole. Especially Knickerbocker ave which they nicknamed "the well" for its seemingly endless supply of drugs.

Brooklyn was in really bad shape but worse than the south Bronx?

Nothing.

And yes I was too young at the time and my earliest memories are from 1993 in University Heights (shudders) but I've done enough research and seen enough pictures to form a pretty accurate view of it.

To finish it...Brooklyn was not a place you wanted to be. There is a reason it gives so much "street cred" to people from it.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
I read an excerpt from a chapter from a book called The American Drug Scene. The whole chapter was dedicated to williamsburg section of Brooklyn. Willamsburg was responsible for the drugs and violence spilling over into bushwick. Williamsburg Brooklyn used to be a major drug hub for crack cocaine and heroin. Abdoned beer breeries became drug labs and shooting gallieries. Drug dealers knew who was a cop and who was not just by the way a person spoke. Bridge and tunnel crowd used to frequent williamsburg just for drugs. Puertoricans and italians fought over control of the drug trade in williamsburg. Puertoricans dominated until the 1990s when the dominicans took over the drug trade in williamsburg. I never knew williamsburg was so rough and edgy back in the day. I read that book american drug scene while attending john jay college.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
no she is correct. those parts of brooklyn werent desirable back then. even as late as 2000, smith street was nothing more than a strip of bodegas and 99 cent stores.

a good movie to watch is strapped starring bokeem woodbine. that really depicts brownsville brooklyn in the early 1990s. certain parts of brooklyn still look like the did in the 1980s however. one particular strip that comes to mind is rockaway avenue north of fulton street. real gritty.

back in the days, my aunt lived in prospect park south (sitll lives there) and they used to steal the front doors of her building periodically to sell for scrap metal. dont ask me how they made off with those heavy doors. and crack was everywhere. kids used to sit on people's cars, music used to blast all night long. brooklyn was a really crazy place back then. projects used to be all graffitied up, inside and outside. i remember my cousin lived in the projects (it was only 1 building) on chauncey street. on her floor, the wall was covered in graffiti to the point to where you coulndt tell what color the wall was originally painted it. downright scary-looking.

squeegee men would come outa nowhere and try to wash your car's windshield with a dirty rag, the trains were awful, the lights would often go out on them and you would have to keep your wallet/purse real close. back in the 80s in far rockaway i actually witnessed somebody get mugged in front of my house, and my mother told me to duck down for fear somebody started shooting.

im just glad i made it.
that part of rockaway is still crazy , this week or last week on the news their was 2 triple shootings their each one day apart, and i know 1 man died in of the sets of shootings not sure about the other.

but this year north of rockaway have been hot , especially on the stone ave side.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
no she is correct. those parts of brooklyn werent desirable back then. even as late as 2000, smith street was nothing more than a strip of bodegas and 99 cent stores.

a good movie to watch is strapped starring bokeem woodbine. that really depicts brownsville brooklyn in the early 1990s. certain parts of brooklyn still look like the did in the 1980s however. one particular strip that comes to mind is rockaway avenue north of fulton street. real gritty.

back in the days, my aunt lived in prospect park south (sitll lives there) and they used to steal the front doors of her building periodically to sell for scrap metal. dont ask me how they made off with those heavy doors. and crack was everywhere. kids used to sit on people's cars, music used to blast all night long. brooklyn was a really crazy place back then. projects used to be all graffitied up, inside and outside. i remember my cousin lived in the projects (it was only 1 building) on chauncey street. on her floor, the wall was covered in graffiti to the point to where you coulndt tell what color the wall was originally painted it. downright scary-looking.

squeegee men would come outa nowhere and try to wash your car's windshield with a dirty rag, the trains were awful, the lights would often go out on them and you would have to keep your wallet/purse real close. back in the 80s in far rockaway i actually witnessed somebody get mugged in front of my house, and my mother told me to duck down for fear somebody started shooting.

im just glad i made it.
my father who is from haiti actually wanted to go back to haiti after living in new york in the 80,s lol.

funny story is as third world as haiti is my father refused to beleive that he was in the america that he dreamed about lol.

i also remember my choir director who has his brothers come from haiti to visit lol. they used to live in east flatbush(winthrop and rockaway pkwy).

that exact day they came my choir director was mugged in broad day light on rutland road by the 3 train and he thought his brothers were going to die since they did not speak and enlgish , and could not follow on the muggers orders, and they were scared to death on top of that lol.

btw thnks for the movie cause im bored i actually needed something to watch lol(strapped)

Old 06-16-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
this link might show you some good pics of brooklyn in the 1980s:

LaGuardia and Wagner Archives
where do you find the pics?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:50 PM

34,050 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The South Bronx and Central Harlem had the highest crime rates in the city. So no Brooklyn was not worse. The only neighborhood comparable to the top two was Bushwick. This including vacant lots and grittyness.

Bushwick from all accounts was a hellhole. Especially Knickerbocker ave which they nicknamed "the well" for its seemingly endless supply of drugs.

Brooklyn was in really bad shape but worse than the south Bronx?

Nothing.

And yes I was too young at the time and my earliest memories are from 1993 in University Heights (shudders) but I've done enough research and seen enough pictures to form a pretty accurate view of it.

To finish it...Brooklyn was not a place you wanted to be. There is a reason it gives so much "street cred" to people from it.
ENY was up there man....ghoul pool 1000 sutter ave i know u know what that is

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City