U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 03:49 PM

10,157 posts, read 18,079,604 times
Default Greatest NYC moment

nothing beats sitting on the lifeguard's chair on rockaway beach at midnight in junior high school with your old sweetheart...or taking the train for the 1st time by yourself, i was 11...everybody just share a moment or 2 about what makes this city the best, and cant be replicated anywhere else but in the 5 boroughs that make this the greatest place to be.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 04:32 PM

719 posts, read 1,453,889 times
I had an interview in an executive conference room at one of the top floors of the Citigroup Tower in LIC where I could see the entire Manhattan skyline through floor to ceiling windows as my interviewer sat with his back against the windows (probably on purpose). That was my NY moment, I felt like I was on top of the world, lol.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:26 PM

966 posts, read 1,370,202 times
Only one, SeventhFloor? Fuggetaboutit. Surely you jest.

1) My first free Summerstage concert on the hill in Central Park. Joan Armatrading (just amazing) with a bunch of fans all singing, dancing, and enjoying the concert together as if we were all old friends.

2) An incredibly romantic date, arranged that same day by someone who knows me very well, for a Central Park Film Festival showing of The Fisher King, which takes place in large part in Central Park. Free. The moon was practically full that night, and we could see Mars. Oh my, what a night to remember. I kept singing Frank Sinatra's "How About You?" as we walked through the park back to the train station. Only in New York City can you dance, sing, laugh, and be romantic in the streets without someone wondering if they should call the police. lol.

3) Dealing with Sunday afternoon train delays and arriving late for a gig at the Bowery Poetry Club. Just as one of the announcers was about to give up on me, I announced my arrival--in the dark. The whole audience cheered. It was crazy. I performed a poem I call "New York is Dancing," and ended my set with the whole audience singing with me Frank Sinatra's "How About You?"

I like New York in June
How about you?
I like a Gershwin tune
How about you?
I love a fireside
When the storm is due
I like potato chips, moonlight, and motor trips
How about you?

Lol.

I miss New York City so much! I will try to refrain from kissing cab drivers when I return for an interview and a three-day getaway next weekend, and when I return for good in August.

Last edited by Nala8; 06-19-2010 at 05:36 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 08:42 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,260,041 times
Independence Day in Flatbush BK. Carribean food and music, starting fireworks, running around like the little hood kids we were, what do you know about that? LOL!

Christmas in Queens Village= pepper pot, need I say more?!

My fam always driving through Atlantic Ave. through Bed-Stuy, Brownsville, and ENY and me being the observant kid noticing every street and activity going on.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:05 AM

4,847 posts, read 5,032,791 times
Getting my first fist to the jaw courtesy of the NYPD.
Ahhhhh the memories.....

Old 06-21-2010, 02:52 PM

556 posts, read 831,471 times
Imma go with being drunk and finding the perfect thing to eat: EVERYTIME!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:59 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,253,762 times
Hmm...well my most memorable NYC moment was when I actually met "white" people for the first time (not teachers/police) in High School. I was completely fascinated....and then when I went to their neighborhoods (Pelham Bay/Throggs Neck) it was like a totally different world and I never wanted to leave.

Regarding a great NYC moment...I would say being at the 86th floor of the WTC and seeing the entire NYC skyline, which was both amazing and frightening....of course surviving the WTC was always a great moment for me too.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:19 PM

218 posts, read 477,768 times
^

Yeah, I'd have to say that so far my favorite moment was when I looked upon the whole city from the top of the ESB... it is not until you see the whole city like that, that you truly start to comprehend the scope of NYC, and its majesty. Central Park was like a sea of green, that seemed to vanish into the horizon and haze, along with the buildings and neighborhoods of upper Manhattan, and to the south, the Statue of Liberty seems so small and distant. You truly feel like you are on top of the world, and it's an awe-inspiring sight.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 PM

1,693 posts, read 6,013,997 times
*Being at the roof of One Times Square on New's Eve 1990 watching all the people below waiting for the ball to drop.

*October 9, 1996... Yankee Stadium. Sitting in the outfield when young Jeffrey Maier reaches over wall & grabs the ball before it lands in the Oriole outfielder's glove ensuring a home run to tie game one of the Division playoffs. I was able to take my mom to that game & we were sitting in the same section.

*Riding down West St in vehicle towards Ground Zero on September 13, 2001 and seeing dozens of people waving flags, handing out refreshments, yelling for encouragement... united for common cause and patriotism. *goosebumps*

Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 PM

614 posts, read 1,173,101 times
Watching the Rangers win the Stanley Cup in 1994 even though it was sitting in my living room and not being there in person

Going to the 1996 Yankee parade and having teachers in 12th grade encouraging me to have fun going.

Getting my first job out of college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City