U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:17 PM

281 posts, read 1,081,838 times

Advertisements

I was just catching up on some old reading and came upon this article from about a month ago.Regarding increases in all major crime categories in the 75th precinct.So I wonder since I left the 75th long ago..Was it coming back as a neighborhood after the crack epidemic? Is it now just recently slipping back or has the crime situation there just gone under reported by Mr.Bloombergs stat men all these years?If it is a sudden increase in violent crime what are the major causes?

East New York Still Plagued By Murder, Rape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 PM

8,479 posts, read 20,375,883 times
Well,the 75th does seem to have a rising murser rate in the last few years but the fact is that murders are still down about 80% since 1990.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs075pct.pdf

Why would you accuse Bloomberg and the NYPD of under reporting all these years ? Do you think they suddenly changed their mind and decided to artifically raise the murder numbers recently ? Do you think they were making the numbers up before but are telling the truth now or do you think they were telling the truth before and are making the numbers up now?
If they had been under reporting all those years,why the sudden change of heart ?
For some reason, parts of Brooklyn seem to be having a major spike in violent crime. So much so that Brooklyn might wind up taking the violent crime award away from The Bronx this year because it was a pretty close race to begin with.For instance,Brooklyn North which includes the 75th has an increase of 30% in violent crimes this year while violent crime in The Bronx is up by only about 10%.The 75th is up 75% this year and 180% in the last 2 years.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:16 AM

281 posts, read 1,081,838 times
Bluedog2-
I believe it is general consensus IMHO that it is a known unknown that these statistics have been bent to portray a considerably lower major crime rate over the last 5+ years.It benefits Mr.Bloomberg,Mr.Kelly and the city in general to somewhat manipulate these statistics to help the city in several ways most especially tourism.However I can not deny the fact that I may be a conspiracy theorist to some extent.however.As to why they may have changed their minds,if there is a noticeable significant jump,it is a bit harder to play with the numbers.
I am still mostly curious as to why this sudden jump in the precinct if things had been much improved since it's violence peak.Is there a reduced visual police presence in the community? Is there a rise in new immigrants or new residents that are adding to this problem? Is there some kind of new drug epidemic i.e. Crystal Meth or is it just one of those things? If whatever stronger law enforcement adjustments were made after the late 80s and early 90s have they now been reduced?
I may have left but do still have people very important to me in ENY and am curious as to possible causes.All opinions would be appreciated.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:37 AM

8,479 posts, read 20,375,883 times
This is just a theory but it seems as though the sections of the city that are currently experiencing an increase in crime while other sections are still decreasing are at the outer edges of the boroughs.It might be that these neighborhoods are becoming the catch basins for a bad element that is being gentrified out of other neighborhoods.
Some people have been predicting for years that NY would become more and more like Paris and other European cities where all the crime and poverty has been pushed to the very edges of the cities or even into the adjoining suburban areas.Something like this might be happening in NY.I know that in The Bronx it feels like The South Bronx is continuing to improve while the extreme North ( parts of wakefield,edenwald) and adjoining Mt.Vernon seem to be declining.There are areas just outside the city now like Hempstead and some towns up the Hudson that are becoming hell holes.

Since you are into conspiracy theories you might buy into the theory that the above scenario is all being manipulated by the city and real estate interests to reclaim real estate that has become too valuable for housing projects and poor people.That there is a grand scheme to push it all out of the city completely and that the projects are all going to be torn down or privatized and turned into condos or coops in the future.I have heard this theory as well.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-20-2010 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 01:21 PM

19,587 posts, read 34,680,202 times
was just in ENY last nite...not as bad as it used to be but you still need to be careful.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-20-2010, 03:36 PM

23 posts, read 90,479 times
East New York has some bright spots and new housing developments, but youth crime combined with drugs and gangs still continue to hold a presence esp. by the projects

Old 06-20-2010, 06:37 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,098,470 times
I like that Lindenwood Diner, did they do anything with that empty lot across the street (I think?).

I agree with SeventhFloor.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:57 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,854,943 times
im moving to a nice area in east new york soon, its called spring creek and its new housing right behind gateway mall

Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 PM

19,587 posts, read 34,680,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
im moving to a nice area in east new york soon, its called spring creek and its new housing right behind gateway mall
is it by gateway mall or is it by linden moivie theaters? because the development behind linden move theaters is called spring creek and its a little hood over there. that area is the actual spring creek part of eny.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-21-2010, 06:05 PM

876 posts, read 1,934,011 times
NYC has improved a lot when it comes to crime. The nypd has really done a great job and no one gives them credit. I am glad I am not a cop. Being a cop is one of the worst jobs in this city. Anything happens its your fault. Crime is up the cops arent doing their job, crime is down it is because of police brutility. They do make good money but their earn it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City