Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
If we bought into education as much as we do consumerism, we would have more jobs here (the US). Many jobs gets outsourced due to lack of quantity of people to do certain jobs or lack of educated individuals. Look at H1B jobs, many of them are six figure positions.
Get a job? Many college grads are finding out that there are more people with degrees than jobs to be had in their fields of study - Washington County PA News - www.observer-reporter.com (http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/washnews/06-13-2010-Degree-but-no-job - broken link)

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:28 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
I say so what! It means you have to take something temporarily that you are "too good for" and that pays lower than what you "deserve." I have done it..and I bet most people have done it and are still doing it. You have a few choices: Whine and complain about it, and move back in with mom and dad until you "get the job and pay you deserve", or you can take what you can for now and keep looking for other opportunities when the economy improves.

I really don't see why this is an issue..and it is certainly nothing new. In fact..it is times like these where people were forced to become creative and started companies that not only made them alot of money, but became global players.

It is cyclical...nothing new...I have been there...and so have most other people..and people will be there again in the future. Make your choice.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I say so what! It means you have to take something temporarily that you are "too good for" and that pays lower than what you "deserve." I have done it..and I bet most people have done it and are still doing it. You have a few choices: Whine and complain about it, and move back in with mom and dad until you "get the job and pay you deserve", or you can take what you can for now and keep looking for other opportunities when the economy improves.

I really don't see why this is an issue..and it is certainly nothing new. In fact..it is times like these where people were forced to become creative and started companies that not only made them alot of money, but became global players.

It is cyclical...nothing new...I have been there...and so have most other people..and people will be there again in the future. Make your choice.
USATODAY.com - Students suffocate under tens of thousands in loans

sometimes taking something temporarily that pays lower does not alleviate the situation.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-22-2010, 12:27 PM

47 posts, read 210,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

sometimes taking something temporarily that pays lower does not alleviate the situation.
Great article!! There are tons of high skilled jobs available - like pharmaceutical jobs - but many of us just don't have the resources for school and training needed to qualify for that industry. Yet students that come from other countries get much of the schooling for free!!!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 PM

142 posts, read 418,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjay114 View Post
3. The heroin epidemic. Many black people claim the crack era was what destroyed the community when it was really just the icing on the cake. The "cake" was the heroin epidemic which hit the projects in the late 60s. When heroin hit the streets, crime skyrocketed!!! My mom lost a classmate to heroin during this time.

I totally agree with you! Drugs really tore apart so many families and communities.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,756 times
Quote:

Keep em coming SeventhFloor the article's are great and make valid points contrary to what some are saying

Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 PM

7th, in the real world nothing is perfect so we have 2 choices: Not work and just complain = 0 income, 0 experience, 0 potential to parlay the job into something better OR take something temporarily that provides SOME income, experience doing something, and the potential to help you bide your time until something better comes along. I really don't see the issue here?

If those coming out of school are already giving up/complaining at the first challenge they get (finding a job), there really isn't much anyone can do for them. Suck it up...make do...and figure it out. Welcome to adulthood..it ain't what you thought it would be when you were 7...deal with it.

This is nothing new..and this same article could have been printed (and probably was) during the early 90s recession, and the early 80s recession, and so on...and will be reprinted again in the inevitable next recessions. Life went on and those who became the most adept at overcoming these obstacles succeed..and those who don't..well they are still living with their mommas.

And regarding loans...yes it sucks when you have a $50,000 (or more) loan just for undergrad. But let's talk about that also: if you know you don't have the money..why not go to a really good state school instead of out of state/expensive private schools?????? And then complain about your gigantic loan? And secondly, even if you have a substantial $50,0000 debt, you can make payments over 20 years at 1% (today's rates locked in), and it is about $240 a month. So the question becomes, are you as a whole, better off paying $240 a month for 20 years versus not going to college? The choice is clear...so as usual..this is muchadoo about nothing, and just people giving excuses and complaints.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,958 times
Quote:
Yep. Nothing worse than getting stuck in the "dead-end job cycle".

Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Drugs
Quote:
Finding a job
Choices..... Which one will lead to more and which one will lead to the grave?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:36 PM

I got something worse than that..the NO job cycle....and I would rather be in the "dead-end job cycle" which earns me money until I can figure out something else to do rather than the NO job cycle. This attitude is why illegal immigrants are "taking" jobs from "hardworking" Americans, and jobs are going overseas. Everyone "deserves" this and that..and if they don't get it..they rather do nothing but complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City