Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

This is not directly related to your OP, but you might find this article interesting
City Buys One-way Ticket Home for Homeless Families
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/ny.../29oneway.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 08:41 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is not directly related to your OP, but you might find this article interesting
City Buys One-way Ticket Home for Homeless Families
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/ny.../29oneway.html
Wow, that's interesting. I didn't read it all, but I skimmed. Lucky for those people who had family to take them in. I think it would be nice to help those who aren't so lucky get set up elsewhere... Thanks for sharing

Last edited by MsRiss7383; 06-20-2010 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Forgot to thank poster for the info

Old 06-20-2010, 09:51 PM

966 posts, read 2,444,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I agree that its true to an extent. Where I live there are tons of retail, supermarket, and landscaping type jobs available. I'm not saying that 10.00 an hour is a great wage anywhere in America, but it is certainly more liveable and the standard of living is certainly better and safer outside of New York City. I admit that racism exists, but not to the extent that it would cripple you from finding a job. Most of our low skill jobs are taken by Mexican immigrants in my area and, while there is racism unfortunately, the Mexicans are still hired to do these jobs because the fact is that white people won't do them.
It's nice to hear that things are better in Denver. I was referring to Wisconsin, where I work in a nonprofit organization that has plenty of students or clients who have indeed been crippled by workplace discrimination, in large part. That's not the whole story of course, but it is too easy for people of any race who have not let it cripple them to make judgments about those for whom this is a real limitation. Many, many of our students are forced to barely make a living on a wage of far less than $10/hour and to suffer workplace harassment as well. Some make it regardless. Some do not. I think if anyone is going to make a move outside of NYC, they will need to do their homework and find out if they can deal with the pros and the cons of each particular place.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
There are people who post on this board about moving to New York to live in a project. I don't know why, but people do it all the time. Living in the projects doesn't have the stigma that it does in other places. I think it's because the city is so expensive that even comparatively affluent people get a quasi-subsidy in rent stabilization. Also, I think the rich feel guilty because housing is so expensive that they support projects more than they do elsewhere.

If you're in a project in a place like Cleveland, you're really, really trapped in poverty. Housing cost are low so if you make $10 an hour you can actually afford an apartment. That's not the case in New York.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:25 PM

684 posts, read 1,819,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
It takes a lot of money to move

You have to transport yourself there
You have to have a place to live when you get there
You might have to pay a month's rent + deposit
You have to put food on the table while you are looking for a job
etc...
Co-sign !

In addtion to that. If you were just referring to a family of one or two it would be easier. However, for the most part those who live in projects you can more often then not go back generations. So you would be uprooting entire families. And for many this city is all they know. NYC also is very convient, its a walking city, and we have the largest mass transit system. Middle america doesnt have that. So more then likely you have to factor in a car into that moving expense. There are a lot of factors that your not taking into account..

Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
I've always said that the government needs to force able-bodied/minded people to get off welfare and section 8 through mandatory public works projects, similar to what they had during the Great Depression. The only problem today is that corporations would lose that business. Things aren't as black and white as they appear to be or there would be a simple fix to our problems. Bottom line IMO is everyone has to give up something to get something and until that happens, nothing will change.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 AM

966 posts, read 2,444,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I've always said that the government needs to force able-bodied/minded people to get off welfare and section 8 through mandatory public works projects, similar to what they had during the Great Depression. The only problem today is that corporations would lose that business. Things aren't as black and white as they appear to be or there would be a simple fix to our problems. Bottom line IMO is everyone has to give up something to get something and until that happens, nothing will change.
I completely agree. I also think they should make sure that the jobs are viable (a living wage) and provide opportunities for job training, financial education, and self-empowerment so that welfare recipients can move toward meaningful work as well as a real income, however meager, and learn to deal with any obstacles that prevented or seemed to prevent their success in the past.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
There are lots of people that do move from the housing projects...but you would never know the difference because there are 200,000 people just like them that are waiting to take their place. Lot's of people move out...but the same type of poor people move in...so nothing ever appears to change/people don't leave to those looking in from the outside.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 06-21-2010 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-21-2010, 08:53 AM

142 posts, read 418,610 times
Think about Hurricane Katrina. Most poor residents didn't even have transportation to LEAVE THEIR CITY. And they wanted to:-(

Relocation is VERY expensive especially if you don't have family or friends to live with until you get on your own feet. Also, the economy is suffering right now. Jobs, even low skilled jobs, are hard to come by.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:56 AM

142 posts, read 418,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I disagree. We should demand better schools and more funds/grants for higher education so that we have to skills to compete within the workforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City